“Fabulous Location and Comfortable Hotel”

Hotel Saint-Louis en l'Isle
Ranked #707 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Saint-Louis en L’Isle for five nights at the start of October. We booked the largest double room on the top floor of the hotel – so glad we did as it was still quite small, but normal for Paris. We looked at a standard double as my parents want to stay here next year, really tiny and absolutely no room for luggage!

As is common in Paris the lift stops between floors, so you need to get your luggage up or down to your room. Up in our case as we were on the top floor. The room was quite nicely decorated with two French balconies, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. This was really pleasant when we were having late afternoon wine in our room, sitting with the windows open and watching the life on the Rue Saint-Louis en L’Isle below us.

There were a few problems in the room, the airconditioner didn’t work, even though it wasn’t hot it was very stuffy and we wanted the fan to move air around. The front desk repaired it, it turned out that it had been turned off as the previous guests found it too noisy at night. The noise though appeared to be from a general airconditioner motor on the roof, as it was noisy whether our unit was on or off. Not great for light sleepers. There was minimal storage space in the room, a very narrow wardrobe that only allowed us to hang three or four items each, and a very shallow drawer in each bedside table. We found it easier to leave our luggage in our cases but when we are staying for five nights it would have been nice to unpack. There were no ironing facilities but you could go to down to the basement and use the iron there. It was impossible to stand upright in the shower. Admittedly I am fairly tall (175cm), but I either had to stoop uncomfortably or sit in the back and use the hand shower. Shorter people would not have had such a problem though.

The good point was the location which was sensational. We loved staying on the Ile Saint Louis. Apart from a dinner at Le Jules Verne we ate each evening on the island, or Ile de la Cite as there is a very large choice of restaurants. There was also a wine store, a fromagerie, a couple of boulangeries and a two pharmacies so we had everything we needed. It is only a five minute walk to Pont Marie metro station and a couple more to St Michel metro and RER. I believe two buses also service the island, but we simply walked everywhere. It is so quick and easy to get to the Marais or the Left Bank. This was our third trip to Paris and the best location by far.

The other great point was the complimentary wifi. Other Paris hotels we have stayed in have had this but it has never worked very well. The wifi at Saint-Louis en L’Isle was fantastic. It just worked, on our laptop, our tablet and our iphones, it worked perfectly and we never needed to remember passwords.

The staff were lovely and very helpful with booking restaurants and any other advice. We used the hotel shuttle from the airport and to Gare du Nord and could not fault that either. Probably slightly dearer than a taxi but much more convenient. We paid €65 for the airport transfer and €30 to the station.

We did not eat breakfast as the breakfast room was in the basement and we prefer to be able to people watch and see the surroundings. There are three or four breakfast places within a five minute walk, but our favourite by far was Cafe St Regis, which I have reviewed separately. Our favourite restaurant for dinner was Aux Anysetiers du Roy. I will also do a separate review of this.

All in all I would certainly stay at this hotel again, and have recommended it to my parents for next year.

Room Tip: Do not choose a standard room, there will no space at all. Top floor is the largest.
1  Thank djh1

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in November (note time of year, as Paris in summer is another matter) in a standard room at 169 euros per night- breakfast available at 13 euros each extra. So far, every time we have stayed in Paris ( about 8 occasions) we have chosen a different hotel and this is the first one we feel we could re-visit. St. Louis is one of the 2 islands in the Seine; it is close to Notre Dame and therefore convenient for most of the areas one would want to visit. \The rue St. Louis is a long one, full of mixed shops/restaurants/private apartments and nicely busy but not too noisy at night; however, b etween 6-8 a.m. , yes a..m.!!, there is a continuous series of noise, street-cleaners and delivery lorries, which sound loud as it is a narrow street. This cannot be helped and if the window is closed, it does make quite a difference.
Our room was very small, but we expect this as so many of the Paris hotels are in old buildings which are inconvenient but charming. There were several old beams and prints etc. on the walls; we also had a tea/coffee tray, which was replenished daily. The bedlinen was also changed daily; there was a fridge and safe in the wardrobe. The shower-room was tiny but all mod.cons. were there and there was a double, powerful shower.
Nice if small reception and the usual tiny lift, which only went to the 2nd, level, so we had to carry our cases up to our 3rd. floor room. We checked out the basement where the breakfast was served- clean and whitewashed and also the wifi was there. The staff were all helpful and pleasant- a special mention for Denis!! On our first evening, some musicians slowly came along the street playing their instruments and one looked up at where I was leaning over the tiny balcony of our room. They were such a happy crowd that I got a 5 euro note and threw it down to them....stupid really, as a slight breeze wafted it on to the first floor windowsill room below. They looked so disappointed that I then threw some euro coins down but they were wanting the note. I ran downstairs and told Denis, on duty at reception and, bless him, he got the key of the room and found and handed over the note to the musicians, with many laughs- though he DID say he'd heard enough of their music. It was one of those moments - the narrow street, the music, the balcony and a pleasant Frenchhman- which is special to Paris.
Actually, we didn't eat breakfast in the hotel, thhough we meant to do so but we found the St. Regis brasserie at the end of the street and ate there each morning.- amazing interior, good service and...hot drink, fresh o.j., toast, croissant, boiled egg, butter and 2 jams, only 11 euros each..a snip for a great area in a capital city. The Batobus stop for on/off river trips, thoroughly recommended, is about 10 minutes walk away. In autumn/winter, try to return on it in the evening, to see the lights and try and peer into the apartments......

Room Tip: It's worth paying for a superior room, as some other residents told us they were larger, though...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daviesbagrie
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in November. The location is perfect, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the rooms are clean and well decorated. If you are looking for a centralized home base in Paris this is a good bet. In addition to being close to multiple sights there is a cute cafe right across the street and several good restaurants nearby.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3WeeksAYear
Reviewed November 8, 2012

On a previous trip to Paris we were fascinated by this hotel and decided to stay there on the Isle St Louis. The reservation process was easy and friendly with our shuttle connection take care of efficiently. We did have to negotiate stairs because the lift seems to stop between floors but they carried our bags and we were on the first floor so it wasn't bad. The room was small, as expected, but well furnished and charming. The bathroom was ok too. The people at the front desk were quite helpful and we really enjoyed the location. Skip the breakfast. It is not really worth the premium charged. We would recommend this as a nice place to stay.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We've been to Paris many times and always try to stay on the Ile St. Louis. This was our first time at the Hotel Saint-Louis en L'Isle and it did not disappoint. The hotel is charming and the staff is wonderful. The room, though small, was not uncomfortable as some others we've stayed in on the island. We were on the 4th floor and had a small balcony from which we watched children headed for school in the morning, listened to musicians in the evening, and just looked at life on the island around us. The room was perfectly quiet at night and the mattress was good and firm. We slept very well. No, this is not a luxury hotel and yes there could have been more towels, but for charm, location and service, you'd be hard pressed to do better.

We did not eat breakfast at the hotel. Our routine when in Paris is to go to either Flor En L'Ile or Cafe St. Regis on the end of the Island for croissants and cafe au lait/cafe creme.

We emailed the hotel weeks in advance of our stay and asked them to make dinner reservations for us at various restaurants. They not only did it, and did it graciously, but complimented my attempts at communicating in French.

Nous reviendrons!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony!
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I spent the weekend at this lovely hotel, I arrived in Paris by myself, as my husband was joining me later in the week. I had arranged to be pickup by the hotel. That to me was a big plus, as I did not have to find a service to transport from the airport to the hotel. he was prompt, spoke english, and was wonderful, I believe he has some interest in the hotel, besides doing pick ups..anyway, he was great. all the hotel people were helpful and lovely. the room was small, but I was alone, so it was ok...breakfast was fine, eggs if you wanted...I have no complaints and I would return and would recommend..Yes, I smelled the sewer odor, too.. from time to time...I smelled it other places in Paris. I am glad I stayed here for the beginning of my Paris stay,as I had rented an apt in the rue du Bac area of St. Germain, I was going to on Monday, the Rue du Bac area is also, fab, unfortunately the apt I rented was awful and unfortunately I was duped badly, spent so much time researching & checking ref and I still got duped, but that is another review... the Island is great and I would consider renting an apt on the Island next visit..just convenient to everything in Paris..

Room Tip: ground floor, had 2 rooms off lobby, 1 was quite large as it was billed as a triple and the other wa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed for four nights in October 2012. I don't usually bother with writing reviews, but felt compelled to because of our bad experience.

The Good:
Our arrival at the hotel was into a small, but charming lobby.
The room was fairly large for Paris as was the bathroom.
The location was good.
The people at the front desk were nice and friendly, although as it turned out, ineffective in dealing with our problems.

However, the positive things ended there.

The Bad:
There was a smell of sewer gas throughout the hotel, including our bedroom and bathroom, the lobby and the breakfast room.
The drainpipe for the bathroom sink leaked and got everything wet under the sink. We complained from the first day and by the time we left, 4 days later, nothing, other than putting dry towels under the sink to absorb the water, had been done.
It took two days to get a burned out light bulb changed in the bathroom and three days to get one changed in the bedroom.
There were no towel bars in the bathroom and they didn't have washcloths, even when we requested them.
The towels were thin and cheap.
The glass enclosure for the bath only covered about 1/3 of the bath and had no seal. Consequently unless you huddled in the corner to shower, there was a significant amount of water on the floor.
There was no outlet in the bathroom for a hair dryer, although they do supply one (I happen to like to use my own).
The shower had no thermostatic control, so whenever someone used the sink or toilet anywhere in the hotel, the shower water turned cold.
There were no drawers for clothes storage, just some shelves, which were filled with bed linens for when the beds were to be made into a different configuration. Our clothes were piled on top of each other and got messed up, whenever we pulled something out. Mostly we had to live out of our suitcases, which we had planned to avoid with a 4-day stay.
The street was very noisy.

Had we been in a cheap hotel in a seedy neighborhood, I wouldn’t have expected more. But we weren’t. We booked an expensive hotel, in an nice location for 240 Euros/$325 per night. We expected and were entitled to have received more.

3  Thank Tom S