“Awful woman”

Hotel de Nevers Saint-Germain
Hotel de Nevers Saint-Germain
Ranked #1,690 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel is actually nice, and I stayed all the way up on the 4th floor, which is quite a hike. It is cheap for central paris, and will do you well. I have no complaints about the place itself, but the woman was awful. I speak fluent french and she barely said hello to me after tying to be polite and engage in conversation. Once I told her I was just running out to grab some water across the street and she promptly locked the door on me and went downstairs. That is the only time she did that, and the only time I would be back in less than five minutes. She also made me pay 3 euros for using the phone locally, Paris to Paris which is fine, I totally get that, but then instead of giving me 2 euros back from my 5 note, she dumped out all of the change from her purse and made me take the dregs when there were three 2 euro coins in plain sight. I then got a 7 dollar charge on my bill the next month with no explanation.

She was there ALL the time so maybe she hates her job but it was a really awful and sad experience my last day in Paris. I have never complained about a hotel before. I can stand the paper thin walls and strange visitors and not so clean rooms, but to treat a patron like such garbage when they are staying in your hotel for a few days for no good reason and then to rip them off is just awful. I told her I would be giving her bad reviews and I will never recommend anyone stay here. If you want a good time, stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Just look at reviews. This was the least bad for my price range, but no one complained about the wom...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank L S

Reviewed May 18, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank BostonTravelers51
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The conditions of the hotel are terrific: dirty carpets, wasted wall paper and the rate is very unconvenient!!!!! The least but not the last: they even make me pay the cost of phone to call the taxi...........

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank fabio042
Reviewed June 12, 2010

In 2007 the hotel was recommended in Frommers but not in 2010, unfortunately we had the 2007 book. In a nutshell, as our 9 year-old put it "we were ditched".... We called ahead for a three night reservation, received confirmation with credit card and a price. On a 2nd night we were told that there was no room for us on the third night. On top of this the rate had suddenly risen 20% above the agreed amount.

In summary, we found ourselved in a fully booked Paris, without a place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank S0j0urners_4
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Good location, Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable, livable neighborhood.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Oldworldresearch
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Booked a room on the phone with the hotel 3 weeks in advance - with credit card number and all. Called in the afternoon of my arrival to warn that I would check in later in the evening. Was told that there was no booking under my name. When I mentioned the room number and rate from memory (which by the way was higher than advertised on their web site), was called a liar by the person on the phone before he hung up on me. By the way, I'm a native French speaker, so no "lost in translation" excuses apply here. Called back and finally managed to get the person to give me phone numbers for nearby hotels. Found out that both numbers were wrong. Called again, finally got accurate numbers.
When recounting the whole incident to Parisian friends at a party that evening, their answer was... What did you expect? Welcome to Paris!
I'm now waiting for the credit card statement, to see if they extend the joke to charging me for the no show... will keep you posted!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank MamyTromblon
Reviewed June 11, 2007

We came to know of this hotel after having stayed in the rue de Bac
/ Sevres-Babylon neighborhood several times over the past few years. It's definitely the best bargain for a 2-star in the neighborhood - though prices seem to have crept up recently vis-a-vis what's discussed in the guides.

Rooms are simple and not huge, but they are clean, and ours, at least, had wonderful windows overlooking rue de Bac and the neighborhood. The building itself is charming - interesting exposed stonework - but history & charm mean no elevator, and the many flights of stairs are steep even for a relatively fit young couple. A good way to work off dinner?

The big catch with the hotel is reservations, which are hit or miss. It's a small hotel without e-mail, Web site, etc. and so you are dependent on the integrity of the person on the other end of an international phone line. That integrity was somewhat lacking in our case - when we arrived, we were told that while they had not honored our reservation for the first night, there was "no problem" as someone else was bound not to show up and we could have their room instead. That seemed like a bit of a problem to us, so we ended up at another hotel for our first night of the trip. One thing we found was that the night staff are generally friendlier / more helpful than the daytime folks, so it might benefit you to call during the evening hours.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple