“I thought this would be better....”

Hotel de l'Empereur
Ranked #263 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Seattle, Washington
“I thought this would be better....”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a last minute trip to France and some time in Paris. Our favorite hotels were booked, and after reading through Trip Advisor, I decided this might be OK. And it was. Just OK.

The room was decent....a bit dated, but the bathroom was very nice. The bed was large and comfy. The room was pretty teeny, but with a bit of juggling, we were able to find space for two suitcases. The view of Invalides out our window was awesome. The front desk staff speaks English and are very helpful.

However, the hotel was HOTI I called the front desk and was told the only system available was the heating system. The hvac system fans don't work unless you have the heat turned on "after the season." (I guess that "during the season", AC is available) We were dying. We flung the windows open, which helped, but there wasn't any wind, and it was incredibly hot and uncomfortable...even though the temp dipped to the low 40s during the night. Why a hotel that charges nearly $300 per night cannot have a fan system that works no matter the season, I don't know.

The free internet was indeed free, but it doesn't work. Well, it was working, I guess, but the system is either way too weak for the use it gets, or the connection to the routers is horrid. Either way, it just doesn't work. After a couple calls to the front desk, we gave up.

The elevator is a one man elevator. Forget taking your bags and a couple up in it. NO WAY. And if you have claustrophobia, take the circular staircase and get really, really dizzy.

I'm honestly not a complainer. But this hotel, which in a splendid location, is NOT on par with other hotels in the area at the price.

I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Ummm....you are on your own here! We had a nice view of Invalides, which was great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank migolfergirl
empereurparis, Directeur général at Hotel de l'Empereur, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear migolfergirl,

thank you to have taken time to write your comment.

As we say in our confirmation email that you received each time you book, the AC is on ONLY during the summertime. In France, but I guess all over the north part of the earth, summertime starts on june 21st and ends on september 21th. During this period the AC is on always and you can decide which temperature you need in your room. In France, we are not using the AC as much as you are used to in USA. That is the french way of living that you enjoy when you come to visit our beautiful city :-)
You are right: access to Internet is FREE and it works very fine. Most of the time when it doesn't work it is because electronical devices or smartphones are over protected and the system can't go thru and there is nothing we can do about this because they are our guests' devices.

About our elevator, it is a parisian style one.
Small yes because our buldings are so old that most of the time the only way to put an elevator is to build it next to the stair case. At least we have one :-)
And if you didn't like our hotel, you may come back to our sister one, hotel Muguet.

We will be very pleased to welcome you again.

Charline Pelletier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Paris this month and were thrilled with our stay at Hotel de l'Empereur. The hotel was impeccably clean, comfortable, and welcoming - not to mention the fantastic location. My husband and I had been to Paris several times prior to this trip, and this was by far our best experience. We were grateful to meet Remy, one of the hotel's incredible front desk staff, who was above and beyond in terms of kindness, patience, and providing the best experience possible. My husband and I were traveling with both sets of parents, so this was appreciated. Remy's warm personality and professional service is reason enough to return again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessie H
empereurparis, Directeur général at Hotel de l'Empereur, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jessie H,

thank you very much for your nice comment.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

My mom and I stayed here on our first night in Paris. We booked a room with view of les Invalides, which was really beautiful when the lights turned on night. The room was clean with traditional French style decoration, we did enjoy!
It was close to the metro, and a walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, and also, many eating places were nearby.
The front desk was outstanding. We were asked to return the door card when we was out, which was good just in case we lost it. The staffs were very kind, and always gave us a polite smile. We would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Shaw C
Dear Shaw C,

thank you very much for your nice review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay in Paris with us and I hope you'll be back somedays.

Everett, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very pleased at all aspects of this hotel. Price was great; location was superb, right between the Eiffel Tower and the Hotel of the Invalides’ . Metro was right there. Front desk was extremely helpful.
Rooms were small but that’s to be expected, breakfast was ok. Not sure if I would get it again.
Overall well worth the money and the location

Room Tip: If you want a view go above the 2nd floor, but it will cost you.
1 Thank Joe h
Dear Joe h,

thank you very much for your nice comment.

I hope to welcome you again.

Dalton, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel de l'Empereur twice during our recent stay in Paris. We had interior rooms both times. The rooms were very quiet, and well appointed. I believe the interior rooms are slightly larger than those with a view of the Invalides. As we were on a tour, breakfast was included. We did not have the breakfast the extra nights we stayed. The cost was just a little too much. We opted to get breakfast on the Rue Cler. The staff, especially Rene, was cordial and very helpful. The location was excellent for the sight seeing we did. It was close to both Metro and RER lines. We would definitely stay there again. The only draw back was a lack of lounge to have a sip of wine after a long day of sightseeing. The staff however was more than willing to provide cups if you brought your own bottle to drink in the small common area.

Room Tip: Get an inside room. They are larger and I believe more quiet.
1 Thank Dalton_Traveller
Dear Dalton_Traveller,

thank you for your nice comment.

Remy really likes his job and do it very well. I am pleased he helped you feel at ease in Paris.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed October 6, 2013

One never knows what your own personal reality is going to be like by reading what others think about things. Still, what are you going to do? TripAdvisor is a great resource. I read a few of the excellent reviews and then a few of the bad reviews and decide if the person writing the bad reviews is just someone who is impossible to please. It generally seems that they are, so I typically discount them for the most part. Our criteria for a hotel in Paris was cost, we wanted an upscale place but not "break-the-bank" since we had other places to see and go and other things to do. Location, we wanted a place close to everything and we wanted a nice shopping, dining area that we could walk to. And we wanted a view. We got everything we were looking for at the Hotel De L'Empereur along with an excellent and caring staff. Very close to a really great "locals only" outdoor farmers market, next to fun restaurants, pastries, chocolatiers, bars, a drug store, etc. All within a short walk. We had a balcony with an exceptional view of Les Invalides, walking distance to Musee D'Orsay and a short taxi ride to just about everything there is to do or see in Paris.

1 Thank DEW4USC
Dear DEW4USC,

thank you very much for your nice comment.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. And you are right, it is not simple to please everyone :-)

Chicago
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My fourth stay since 2009 at this small hotel didn't disappoint! The rooms are attractive with modern luxury baths. The beds are divine and a welcome relief from a day of sightseeing. Breakfasts are wonderfully pleasant and a good place to chat with other tourists. The extensive rehab accomplished since my first stay was top notch.

Ultimately I keep coming back to this hotel because of the quality of ownership and management. Very friendly and helpful, and unlike travel in the US, the same people are there year after year. It's delightful to see a friendly familiar face and be remembered.

I'll be back next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Favorite_Aunt
Dear Favorite_Aunt,

thank you very much for your comment.

It is always a pleasure to welcome you and I hope you'll be back soon.