Hotel des Arenes
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Monge(Paris)
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewsrue mouffetardlatin quarternotre dameinternet connectiontwo single bedsmins walk awaytwo metro stationslocation is greatstayed here for nightsenjoyed my stayhotel is locatedpleasant stayby paris standardsaround the cornerstreetjardinsupermarket
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in August and found the hotel great.

When I arrived I was greeted by a lovely chap called Clermont who gave me a choice of rooms for my family (two adults a child and a baby). From reviews I was expecting a really small room however I was pleasantly surprised – the room was a great size and perfect for what we needed… sleep/rest!

Mr Salah (day) and Mr Hisham (night) also warrant a shout out as they both looked after us as if we were family for the entire stay.

The room was air-conditioned and had a mini fridge which was perfect if you have baby/children especially in the August heat. The view was awesome too as we overlooked the arena and watched Parisians play boules. Most important was that the room was spotless – was worried with one particular review about bed bugs however this was certainly not something I experienced!!

Location wise – I challenge anyone to beat this area. I have been to Paris many times and the Latin Quarter is the taste of real Paris. The Rue Mouffetard with its plethora of great eateries is a couple of minutes away and there are fantastic walks from here – the options are unlimited!!

Will definitely recommend to friends and family!!

Room Tip: Go for a room overloking the arena and as high up as possible
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ehabdaman
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Sadly, we only spent one night. Yes, the rooms are small by the grandiose American standards, however we spent very little time IN the room. The fellows at the desk were very, very helpful and kept our bags in a nearby room after check-out while we went out to play before leaving. I am writing this without reading other's input, but it was the input I read many months ago which cemented my decision to book here. It simply will not disappoint, I assure you. The subway is down the block. Notre Dame is a very pleasant walk, as are shops etc. I cannot think of a single setback. P.S. The little breakfast in the morning is well worth it, and I do believe the coffee is among the best I've ever enjoyed. Keep in mind I am writing this where followed a seven day excursion via trains and subways etc to the coast, Bordeaux, Jarnac (Lovely - and the Cognac!!) La Rochelle and Saints. Still this place stood out. Honest.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner over the street... 5th floor I believe. No noise, nice A/C. Splendid.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AtcerJim
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Small room, but very clean, with a modern bathroom. I didn´t like to pay in advance. Expensive breakfast, 12 euro per person, when I reserved at Booking.com, it was said that it was included, but was not. Near to rue Moufettard, with plenty of good restaurants.

Room Tip: The front rooms are good, with low noise. The back rooms have a nice view to Arenes de Lutece.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank dfma
Reviewed April 18, 2012

three stars? I guess they stole two from passing Mercedes. I wouldn't give this hotel more than 1 star.
Problems:
1 - unfriendly staff; Okay, it's Paris so it's expected, but making us pay in advance is clearly because they know how crap their hotel is, and most people would never accept paying their rates after staying there.
2 - paper-thin walls, no chance to sleep, noise from the road, from the lift (amazingly loud!) doors slamming, you could even hear the curtains being drawn in the next room... apparently ALL rooms have terrible acoustics.
3 - 12 Euro breakfast for a piece of baguette and a croissant is outrageous.
4 - writing on the web-site "wifi-available" and then charging 12 Euro a day for it is a cheap scam, and not acceptable in 2012.
5 - completely overpriced. I spent 100 Euro a night (without breakfast) on a hotel that is worth 40 Euro maximum. (even correcting for Paris prices it should never cost more than 60 Euro. And is certainly not worth it.

a positive? the only positive was leaving.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank BennyH1971
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Hotel was easy to find from Cardinal Lemoine Metro, reception staff were always helpful, they gave us a map as soon as checked in. We arrived at the hotel in the late evening, coming from the UK we were desperate for a cuppa, but alas no kettle in the room. The room was basic small but clean, a quiet room overlooking the Arenes De Lutece, freezing outside but toasty in our room.
Suited our needs as we were out most of the daytime and evenings, the continental breakfast was a perfect start to the day, friendly staff, and helpful too. Agreed to take the hotel taxi/shuttle back to the airport after they reduced the cost a bit, and arrived at the airport in plenty of time, having taken a detour around Paris to pick up other passengers :) we saw lots more of Paris this way. Would stay at this hotel again, its in a great spot, near lots of restaurants and the River Seine, we stayed 4 nights and wished for longer. Next time we will bring a travel kettle though.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family