“A friendly welcome at a truly lovely hotel ”

Hotel des Grands Hommes
Ranked #124 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

With so many hotel options in Paris, we decided to make things a bit easier & booked this hotel based on the recommendation of a colleague who has stayed here a few times previously.

My partner & I had just completed a week in Barcelona & wanted to come to Paris for a few days before heading home to the United States.

The hotel is in a quiet area opposite the Pantheon, yet close to some great spots... Saint Germaine area, Notre Dame etc. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by a lovely young man, unfortunately I can't recall his name... Blonde, tall & beautifully spoken. He provided us with all we needed to know about the hotel.

We are travelling on a particular budget & had reserved the least expensive room for our 3 night stay. The room is small (which we knew it would be) however it is beautifully appointed & with a surprisingly large bathroom. The decore is lovely with a cosy, comfortable feel. Even though this is a 3 star hotel, it certainly feels more than the official star rating.

I would gladly recommend this hotel to family & friends in future who plan a trip to Paris. I am certainly happy we chose this hotel for our stay & will likely stay here again in future.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ezmaerelda
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Ezmae1980,

How delighted I am reading your comment! Thank you for that!
You had been advised staying in our establishment and I am glad the service, staff, hotel & localisation did not deceived you.
The hotel is indeed a three-star hotel with a four-star standard, and you noticed it.

Best regards,

A bientôt!
Assistant Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,695)

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and found that it lived up to the good reviews. The room was a reasonable size, clean and nicely furnished and with a good bathroom. We asked for (and were given) a room on the courtyard side and slept very well. The curtains are very thick and we were not disturbed by any noise. Our room was on the first floor and the free wi-fi coverage (you need a username/password every 24 hours) worked very well.

We felt that the the option to turn on one more light in the room might be good, as we found it slightly dark sometimes. There were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, which might have been nice. There was a thermostat in the room to control the temperature - we hadn't quite mastered the best setting so occasionally we were slightly cold at night (and there didn't seem to be spare blankets in the room). The staff were polite and helpful throughout our stay.

We booked a rate which included breakfast (breakfast is table service, not a buffet). We were a bit confused on the first morning as the waiter offered us different options for breakfast but didn't explain that only the 'classic' breakfast was included in our rate, and that the 'gourmand' option - which we chose - would be chargeable. We hadn't be advised of this when we checked in either, so the hotel were graciously waived that cost for us. We had the classic breakfast on the second morning and found it very good.

We would recommend this hotel, especially because it is in an excellent location.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Offof

Dear Guests,

Thank you for having taken time to review on the quality of your stay & hotel while you were our guest.
I take into good consideration your remarks on the light and heating system.
In the future, please do not hesitate ask us for an extra light (the one you see in teh brekafast room) we can put in the room, near the bed or sofa at your conveniance.
Extra blankets are available on demand. However, the heating system is brand new and allows you to have the desired temperature, room per room.
Your rate included breakfast, i.e the classic breakfast (the one at 14€). In addition to that we propose different formula : ham, cheese & saucisson at 10€; cereals, yogurt & fruit at 6€; fresh home-made omelette at 7€...
We should have precised all that at the check-in. Please apologize if not!
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Mathieu Billaud.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Staying in this hotel was part of a surprise Christmas present for me - and what an amazing present it turned out to be! Literally right on the doorstep of the Pantheon, this hotel was in a brilliant location - it seemed like a fairly quiet part of town but was within easy walking distance of the Latin Quarter, Notre Dame, Boulevard Montparnasse, Jardin de Luxembourg etc.
Our room was so lovely - the decor had a beautiful boutique feel (we especially loved the wallpaper!), and it felt really cosy. It was also spotlessly clean and had pretty much everything we needed for the one night that we stayed. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast but it seemed quite reasonably priced and had a good selection from what we could gather.
I also cannot write this review without mentioning the staff, all of whom were really helpful and welcoming, and let us leave our bags behind after we checked out so we could explore Paris for another day.
If I ever come back to Paris (which will hopefully be really soon as it was amazing) I would definitely stay here again - thank you! :)

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank amy_ec17
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Guests,

It was a real pleasure too to welcome you in our establishment.

We manage to propose a custom-made service to everybody staying under our roof.

Our breakfast selection is fresh and local provided.
We added recently with no extra charge a daily home-made smoothie, serving with the French classic breakfast at 14€.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!!
regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a short 3 day stay with my mum and found it to be very hospitable.

The location is excellent and the staff helpful.

The hotel is very small and old but if you like that sort of thing (which i do) then you'll certainly appreciate the decor.

We will definitely visit it again on our next adventure in Paris.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom G
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Tom G,

Thank you for choosin the Hotel des Grands Hommes for your Parisian stay and for having taken time to review on the quality of service provided while you were under our roof.

Looking to welcoming you back!
Best wishes,

Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is very old, with small rooms and outdated decor like you'd expect from an older hotel in Paris. I asked for a quiet room, informing the man at check-in that I am a light sleeper. He gave us a room facing the Pantheon, which I assumed would make for a quiet night's sleep. When we got to the room, it sounded as if we were in the middle of the street. The windows were old, single pane, and very thin. They basically did nothing at all to dampen any street noise. We tried to sleep and after a couple hours of failure, we went downstairs, and since the check-in desk was busy and we were exhausted, we left and went to a different hotel. We called travelocity that night to cancel our reservation, and the next morning went back to the hotel and informed them of what happened. They insisted on charging us for two entire nights, even though we had not slept at all and only spent a couple hours total in the room. Ridiculous! I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank GrnBfly
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Guests,

You booked through Venere.com on Dec. 25th 2013 for three nights, from Jan. 11th 2014.
The room booked was a Superior room with the view (overlooking the Pantheon). The description of the room is available on our website and Venere.com website.

The first point is :" very old, with small rooms and outdated decor"
The hotel had been wholy refurbished few years ago and we do every year some refurbishment paintings on two floors (we have 6 floors in total).
The hotel is Empire style, not old. We propose every service a three-star hotel can propose.
All our room are queen or king-bedded.
We can discuss about the hotel style. But I do not admit what you said ("old, outdated...). Once more, the hotel description is available everywhere if you are interested in it.

Indeed, at the check-inyou did ask for a quiet room. We acted so. The room you booked was a Superior room with the view on the Pantheon and we gave you a Comfort Triple room, facing the Pantheon as well, but farest from the elevator and one floor higher than the room they booked.
Moreover, the room #32 (Comfort Triple) is much larger.
This up-grade had been made complimentary, to suit you the best.
As the hotel was fuly booked on Sat. 11th Jan. 2014, I had no Classic room (over looking the courtyard) available for this night.

As I was working myself on Jan. 12th 2014 and knowing the situation, I found a solution for you to have a Classic room for the rest of their stay.
I did not have to : you checked-out, saying you wanted to leave and that you already booked another hotel...
So far so good. You paid your night of the 11th Jan. you stayed in, and the second night as well as a late cancellation.
I cancelled after the third night with no fee.

In our hotel, all bookings cancelled the day of arrival is booked.

We did not charged 2 extra nights...

This comment implies that we are thieves and that we do not care about our guests, their comfort and wellness while they are under our roof. This is wrong. Please read all the previous comments on Trip.
This was a simple situation : a guest did not like the room, he did not wanted to change to another room and awarned us his whishes to leave on the next morning....

We are a three-star hotel with a four star-standard and our reputation is with no deffect.

Mathieu Billaud
Assistant Manager

Reviewed January 17, 2014

The hotel charge the room to an unauthorized credit card number. I was going to stay in this hotel for two nights during a business trip to Paris. 1st night had been reserved by the company that I was going to have my meeting through SynXis/ Expedia. For the 2nd night I made the reservation myself through hotel's web page giving my VISA credit card. However, I had to cancel my trip because my son was hospitalized the day before travel. I knew that they were not going to reimburse the second night due to no show therefore I did not claim anything. However.... Big surprise they charged me the first night too. I don`t know their deal with SynXis/ Expedia, because they had my card number they did not hesitate to charge to that number 187 EUR without my authorization.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Eglantine86

Dear Madam,

I am sorry you coulnot honour your the booking you made. As I was told (not by yourself, but by one of your colleague) on the arrival date you wouldnot check-in, I billed the night.

Let me clarify few points :

You made two bookings :

- One booking made on Dec. 13th 2013 (8h27) for two single rooms from Jan. 11th to 12th. The rate booked (WINTER) is a hot-deal rate, i.e. pre-payable at the booking with no possibility of amendment nor refund.
The two rooms were for Rengul ATALAY & Ozlen KONU.

As you did not check-in the hotel, one of the two rooms had been changed from ATALAY to YULUK.
I did not charge any fee for this amendment of person as I should (hot-deal rate).

- Another booking made on Dec. 13th (9h24) through GDS (Expedia), from jan. 10th to 11th for a single room.

On Jan. 10th 2014, one of your colleague who stayed in the hotel the same night informed us that you will not come.
Considering this, we charge the night (Jan. 10th) as a late cancellation with the credit card provided at the booking. The amount charge is 187€.

To sum up, there is no "unauthorized" debit. Contrary to what you said, there had been no cancellation made before the arrival date.

This review questions about our professionalism and IS NOT TRUE.

Wishing to welcome you next time you will stay in Paris,

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary trip to Paris (first visit). I am so glad we did, I wouldn't want to risk any other hotel now.
Latin Quarter is lovely and the HGH is pretty, very tastefully decorated with a charming boutique feel, perfect for the area.
The room was extremely comfortable, well decorated and spotlessly clean. We had a room on the second floor overlooking the square and it was a pleasure to be there. It was very quiet and with heavy drapes we overslept on both mornings (good sign in my book). Unfortunately the Pantheon is undergoing lengthy refurbishment so the whole dome is behind scaffolding but that doesn't really detract from this lovely square, the view is still spectacularly Parisian.
The staff members we spoke to were fantastically helpful in every way. Our French is junior-school at best (though we insist on trying) so their excellent English made life trouble-free.
We breakfasted at local cafe's because we wanted that Parisian-cafe experience. We didn't save much money doing so anyway.
We walked pretty easily to Notre Dame (15 mins), Louvre (25 mins) and on through Place de Concorde, Champs Alysees to the Arc de Triomph (all wonderful btw).
Metro back was very easy and the Batobus stops close to Notre Dame too. Also walked through Luxembourg Gardens to the Montparnasse Tower (unreal views without the crowds).
Got lucky with the weather for January but a really wonderful place to stay. Thanks especially to the reception staff who can't do enough for you.
On travel, RER to and from Airport CDG is very simple, runs many times an hour, takes up to 45 minutes and the station is 15 mins away at Notre Dame so is very easy. Also download the RATP Paris Metro app, tells you how to get from wherever you are to any of the sights.
We fell in love with Paris and the Hotel certainly played a part.

Room Tip: May be time of year but front rooms are quiet and have lovely views.