“Great location, Great Hotel”

Hotel des Grands Hommes
Ranked #123 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our room had a balcony, which overlooked the Pantheon (not all did though). Staff were very helpful and friendly - not always a given in Paris - and the room was clean and very comfortable if a tad small but again, for the price and location I doubt you could get anything better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the Pantheon
3  Thank Pete_Sue101
Write a ReviewReviews (1,695)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

A true Paris gem of a hotel with an attentive staff, terrific location (for walkers) and tasteful interiors. The staff steered us to excellent local restaurants. This hotel is good for those who enjoy walking to key spots on the Left Bank and beyond. Breakfast staff very helpful.

2  Thank David_C60890
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We have stayed at both the Hotel des Grande Hommes and the Hotel du Pantheon on numerous occasions before, both as a couple and with our two teenage sons.
We wanted to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in Paris and it could only to be at one or the other!
Our last stay was at the Hotel du Pantheon (and it is now closed for complete renovation work) so we booked a top floor room with balcony, overlooking the Pantheon, for 4 nights at the Hotel des Grande Hommes.
On arrival we were taken to our room (#60) which turned out to be a mini-suite, with a sitting room, large bathroom and double length terrace with views across to the Sacre Cour.
While we were settling in, Guillieme, delivered a bottle of Champagne, to our room, complete with ice bucket and glasses. There was also a lovely letter from the manager and staff of the hotel, congratulating us on our Anniversary. A very kind and thoughtful touch.
The hotel is small and intimate and beautifully decorated and the staff are polite, discrete and always welcoming. They are always there if you need any advice or help with recommendations or bookings etc, but they also have the knack of fading in to the background if not required.
I love coming back, to both of the hotels as they have always been consistent with their customer service and we have never had a problem with any of the rooms we have stayed in, winter or summer.
I always feel relaxed and at home here, whenever we have visited Paris.
Yes, there were problems with the air-conditioning during our stay, but we just left a window open at night.
Yes, there is building work in progress on both the Pantheon itself and also the property to the left of the hotel, but neither of these are owned by the hotel, so there is not a lot they can do about it! which is why I do not understand why, in other reviews I have seen recently, people have complained to the manager about it. We had one particularly noisy workman who insisted on whistling very loudly as he went about his work, from early in the morning and there was hammering from next door, but what could have been done?
I still enjoyed sitting out on the terrace, when the weather permitted, and watching the Parisiens go about their day, I was on holiday, they weren't!
I can't wait to see the newly renovated Hotel du Pantheon, rest assured we will be back to stay, in one or both again.

Room Tip: Book well in advance of your trip to get the best deal. Rooms on the 5th and 6th floor at the front...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Allison W
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for having taken time to express the quality of service provided during your stay.

Your comment is important to us as we daily work hard to remain at guest's disposal providing the best services possible.

What more can I say, except that I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again. Feel free to send me an e-mail at mbillaud@hotels-paris-rive-gauche.com.

Best regards,
Mathieu Billaud, Assistant Manager.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great location, just a little off the beaten track. The staff were without fail very helpful and courteous. Room was quaint! - but all was good. Will stay here again. Lots of nice restuarents in the local area

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stay at this hotel regularly. The rooms are very small but comfortable. The location on the Place du Pantheon is priceless. The Luxembourg Gardens, perfect for an end-of-summer-day's relaxation after visits to galleries and monuments, is good for the soul and good for watching Parisians going about their lives, and is 10 minutes away from the Hotel. Blvd Saint Michel, Blvd St Germain, the Sorbonne, the Musee Cluny, Saint-Etienne-du-Mont (one of the oldest churches in Paris), the Seine and Notre Dame are all within easy walking distance. Try and get a balcony room on either of the top two floors. They are still small but open onto balconies for outdoor eating, or just sitting and soaking it in, that overlook the Pantheon and the Parisian skyline over the Sorbonne towards Montmartre. Spectacular day and night. There is a small suite on the 6th floor that is worth the extra price if you need the space; its bathroom is also more of a standard size. Service is friendly and helpful at the front desk; fluent english speakers, accustomed to and welcoming of foreign travellers. Breakfast can be delivered to your room - useful if you have a balcony - but it's the usual small continental baguette, butter and jam, and pot of coffee. However, ignore the fast-food and generally disappointing street "restaurants" down Rue Soufflot and instead go around the corner into Rue Clotaire (literally 3 minutes from the hotel) and you will arrive in a small triangular square at the intersection with Rue des Fosses Saint-Jacques. There you will find a boulangerie (for proper bread and cakes) and a great street restaurant (Cafe de la Nouvelle Marie) that is useful for lunches, even dinners, and generally for nursing a Ricard and a book for tired travellers during the afternoon. There is a spectacularly good cheese shop and a wine shop 5 minutes west along Rue des Fosses Saint-Jacques where it intersects with Rue Saint-Jacques. And if you don't want to pay hotel prices for laundry there is a self-serve laundromat just a little further along Rue Saint-Jacques on the right as you are travelling south away from Rue Soufflot.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on the top two floors worth the extra for their priceless views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Peter F
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for having taken time to express your feelings concerning your stay at the Hôtel des Grands Hommes.
It was a real pleasure to welcome you, advise and make you discover the city for the week you stayed with us.
Your comment honors us.
Because guest service is also what customer doesnot expect, I am looking to welcoming you soon to provide you at least the same quality of service.

Best regards,
Mathieu Billaud,
Assistant Manager.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I tried to book the same hotel where i stayed during my last trip but it was sold out on one of the nights so a friend who just returned to the US from living in Paris for two years recommended the Hotel des Grands Hommes and I could not have been more pleased with my experience. My standard room on the sixth floor was beautifully furnished and very comfortable for one person; however, I travel light (carryon roller bag and tote) and can see how it might feel cramped for two people traveling with more luggage so couples may want to upgrade to a superior room. The hotel staff speak excellent English and were very friendly and welcoming and the hotel's location...perfection! I chose not to eat meals in the hotel only because there are so many dining options in the area and I wanted to try as many if them as possible (highly recommend The Bombardier for happy hour!). I usually get around the city by bus or metro but again, the hotel's location is perfectly situated so I was able to walk almost everywhere I wanted to go. Overall, this hotel is a little jewel and I plan to stay here whenever I am in Paris!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grands Hommes for Christmas vacation 2011. We loved the hotel. Our room was tiny but beautifully decorated. I have paid more for the same size room in a hotel nearby. We also paid extra for the breakfast and found it quite delicious and interesting. The location is excellent, near Luxembourg Gardens and a reasonable walk to Notre Dame Cathedral and many other important sites. The Pantheon is just across the street.
We will be back in Paris this fall and hope to stay at the Grands Hommes. What more can we say?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple