“Quiet, Romantic and Serene”

Hotel des Grands Hommes
Ranked #141 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
NYC
“Quiet, Romantic and Serene”
Reviewed January 14, 2008

This was a lovely, small, charming hotel located near the Pantheon and Sorbonne and a quick walk to the Luxembourg metro and Park. The room had long windows over looking the Pantheon, it was a retreat and beautiful place to rest , relax and retreat. Being a bath maven, I was delighted to relax in the large tub. There was a tiny bar in the hotel . But most charming of all, were the staff that worked the hotel. Everyone was warm, helpful, informative. One morning , still on US time,I had slept right through breakfast. One of the women who managed the hotel brought me breakfast to the room without being asked.The area is nicely out of the way from the hustle and bustle of Paris, but near wonderful areas in which to shop, walk and eat. Oh and the food the area near St Germaine is filled with fabulous food every where. Enjoy. Bon Appetit!

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Hebrew first
New York City
Reviewed January 14, 2008

After reading all the positive reviews on this hotel, my wife and I booked 4 nights for our recent first anniversary stay.

All in all, the hotel was good, not great. I think it's easy to build up your expectations based on others' opinions/reviews, so maybe mine were a little inflated. I booked directly with the hotel, which was far and away the best price. Based on the price I paid, I was happy. If I had paid their standard rates, I would not have been.

The two main problems I had were actually with the service, not the room.

-We flew in via redeye. When I booked the hotel, I requested an early check-in, and was told they could not guarantee it, but would make every effort to have a room available as early as possible.

When we arrived at 10, we were told to come back at 2. When we came back at 2, we were told the room had not been cleaned, but that they would 'do it right now', and we were told to sit and wait in the lobby, which we did - for 40 minutes, with no apology. This, in my opinion, is not acceptable.

-The second and more serious problem was our returning to our room one afternoon to find the door propped open, and no housekeeper in sight. Apparently they had just left the door wide open after cleaning.

My wife went down to the desk, and was told 'relax, our hotel is very safe'. While this may be true, it was a truly shocking response. Again, no understanding or apology. And I think it goes without saying that despite how safe or unsafe the hotel may be, there is at a minimum a privacy and respect issue, whereby a hotel should not leave a guest's room open. This seems like hotelier 101 to me, and really just basic common sense.

Aside from those two issues, the staff was very courteous, and helpful.

Some other general thoughts on the room (we booked a 'superior'):

-As should be expected, the room was very small. If you have more than one large suitcase, you will have trouble storing it. We had to put ours under the desk to be able to walk around the bed.

-The shower is insane, as is typical in europe. No curtain/door, so expect the floor to have half an inch of water when you're done. Get extra towels for the floor, or bring your flippers.

-The bed was comfortable - we slept great here. No noise problems.

- Location is great. Beautiful views of the Pantheon. Lots of restaurants nearby, but less of the elegant little places like you find around Saint Germain. Definitely feels more catered to students, as it should given the location.

All in all, I would say the issues we had were probably unusual, and that as long as you know what you're getting, this hotel is very good. Just go into it expecting that it feels like the low end of the 3-star rating, and don't expect service to be excellent - just good.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Medicore service
5 Thank cbarri
MatthieuCROISIEZ, Assistant Manager at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this review, January 16, 2008
Dear guest,
Futher to your comment, I would like to offer you an answer even if, as you can imagine, I would have prefered to discuss these two "problems" with you when you were at the hotel des Grands Hommes.
Concerning the early check-in - unfortunately and, I assume, like in all the hotel de charme in the world - nobody can garantee an early check-in at 10 am if you don't book the previous night.
Of course, as we told you, we try & do our best to be able to offer a check in before 2 pm when possible.
I checked with our chambermaids what happened on this particular day for you to wait an extra 30 minutes : actually, the previous guest left the room at the very limit time & we had to clean the room completely.
Concerning your room left unlocked, I already spoke with the whole team to remind them to lock every room of the hotel even when cleaning & leaving the room for few seconds as it happened to you.
Concerning the shower, ALL our rooms have a door to protect the bathroom if you take a shower so I don't really understand.
Believe me when I say that I'm very sad you disliked the service as our main efforts are to satisfy the guests & as you were mentionning it, our guets are very happy with the service & our attention to the clients & they recommend our hotel for this.
My best regards
Matthieu CROISIEZ / Assistant Manager
Auckland
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Excellent hotel very conveniently located to some of the main Paris sights. Great reasonably priced restaurants nearby. Hotel staff very friendly and the room decorated to a high standard. Would happily stay there again.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, great location
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit small
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed January 10, 2008

This hotel is ideally situated in the Latin Quarter with a terrific view of the Pantheon. We actaully got the room we requested back in July.
The staff was kind and curtious, made us feel truly welcome.
Our stay in Paris was a dream come true.

• Liked — The room decor, the service and location
  • Disliked — lack of room service options
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Me and my boyfriend just returned from a seven day stay in the hotel and have only amazing things to say about the hotel. Our little room on the sixth floor overlooking the little courtyard, was one of the most romantic places I have ever stayed at. The staff were exceptionally friendly, the service outstanding, the room gorgeous and clean, the location magnificent (literally in front of the Pantheon, steps away from the lively Rue de Mouffetard market, blocks from the Seine, and the Notre Dame cathedral, as well as the Luxemburg gardens). When you stepped out of the hotel and stood in front of the Pantheon you could see the Eiffel tower hovering in the distance. I would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in Paris!!!
THANKS Hotels des Grands Hommes for making us fall in love with Paris!

Ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We have stayed many times at the Hotel du Pantheon which is part of the same hotel group and which we like very much. As the Hotel du Pantheon was undergoing some rennovation we decided to stay at the Hotel des Grands Hommes. We were delighted with the service, particularly the friendliness and warmness of the staff. On New Year's Eve we found a lovely bottle of champagne in our room, which was an unexpected but very nice touch. The location is ideal for seeing all the nearby sites, and nothing can prepare you for seeing the Pantheon by night as you walk back to your hotel. Without question we would stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — Its staff and location
  • Disliked — Room size is small but typical for Paris
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed January 7, 2008

The Grands Hommes was warm and inviting with beautiful french decor...the rooms were beyond charming as was the staff!
Great location across from the Pantheon - with our room having front-side balcony overlooking the majestic Pantheon. Down the street from Luxemburg Jardin and easily walkable to Seine and St. Germain..... a little spot of perfection...loved it!!

Stayed January 2008