“Don't Consider this Rip Off Hotel”
Review of Hotel du Lys

Hotel du Lys
Ranked #1,367 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The room I was given was so small I couldn't open my suitcase! They might have some bigger rooms for two people but this was unacceptable. When I complained the night manager was rude, so I booked another hotel that evening. Upon checking out the next morning I was charged for 2 nights per their cancellation policy! The desk manager/owner could not understand why I didn't love the room. I told him his hotel was a total rip off and it is. Be very aware of what room you are booking and the cancellation policy. Best advise is to steer clear as there are better hotels within a block of this place for a few Euros more!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dody1922

Reviewed October 5, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights at the end of Sept. The hotel is convenient to the metro station and several tourist attractions. The rooms are small and dark. The only English t.v. station is a sports channel. If you don't plan on spending much time in your room, it's the perfect place to stay. The staff is friendly. Breakfast is a croissant and a half baguette with jam, butter, tea, coffee, or juice. It is located on a quiet street but within close proximity of shopping and restaurants. The surrounding area comes to life at night. We would stay there again if we returned.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EyesOfTX
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We have just returned from a 4 nights stay from Paris at Hotel du Lys. The hotel is in a wonderful location very close to Odeon and St. Michel metro stations as well as to the RER station that takes you directly from the CDG airport in 40 minutes.
The hotel is a 27th century building where you can feel the history and the charm of the St. Germain area. The rooms are OK (small as all other Pairs hotels), clean and the overall value is really excellent. The lady in the reception was very helpful and nice and helped us a lot to steer our plans with her great English which is very rare to find in Paris.
They offer a breakfast included price -- the croussants and the coffer was great to have just before stepping out!
I strongly recommend for those who are after history, good value and a real Paris experience.

Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I think the key to being happy with your stay here is to do your homework. Since we were well aware of the narrow and windy stairs and small rooms, they didn't bother us one bit -- we considered it the price you pay to stay at a reasonably priced historic property.

The location of the Hotel du Lys is tops. It's very close to Notre Dame (and other attractions), and public transportation is conveniently nearby.

Our room was small but cozy and charming, with exposed beams and two windows that opened into a tiny courtyard. We thought the breakfast -- coffee, croissants and baguettes -- was delicious, although by the fifth day, we were craving some variety (but we were too cheap to go to a restaurant and pay for breakfast).

The staff was helpful and spoke excellent English.

It's not a five-star hotel, but it is a sweet little place to call home while enjoying Paris.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Portland_Alissa
Reviewed July 23, 2008

For me, this hotel was perfection. Its top selling point is its location - just around the corner from the Metro, and you can walk to all the major sights - Notre Dame, the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Centre Pompidou, shopping on Boulevard St Germain, antique shops on the Rue Jacob, St Sulpice, etc., etc. I have to admit that the Arc de Triomphe was too far away - though not for my walking-mad travel partner - and I insisted on taking the metro... There are plenty of restaurants close by, and I grew oddly fond of the breakfast they offered (every day the same - one croissant, one piece of baguette, one miniature jar of jam, one butter pat, and as much coffee as you want, included in room rate). The hotel is in an old home on a tiny, quiet, charming street. As others have noted, the stairs are steep and narrow, but our room happened to be directly off the lobby (it was sort of weird to hear people eating breakfast outside the room - I'd recommend earplugs for this room), and was wonderfully situated to pop in to grab a jacket or take a break in between sights. (There are two rooms right off the lobby.) The room was smallish and rather dark, as the window opened only onto the tiniest of courtyards. The plus side of that was that we could - and often did - sleep quite late, because the light was pretty much the same any time of day. The bathroom was spacious and I have GOT to find out where I can purchase one of those wonderful towel warmers. Heat was a radiator that worked well. Flooring was jute or something like that with a pleasant texture underfoot. Front desk staff were helpful and courteous. I would definitely stay there again if given the chance!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank PandaPaws
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This hotel has no lift (elevator) and the stairs are winding and cranky. They only have one staff on duty at any time, so they cannot or will not offer to carry your baggage up for you. With four floors to navigate, you definitely cannot stay here if you are disabled, sight-impaired, of large physique or you suffer from vertigo. Look elsewhere in Trip Advisor for your hotel.
Still reading? Then you need to know that the place is dingy, dirty and dusty, and in need of major refurbishment (May 2008). For example, there are old stains from hair oil on the wall at the head of the bed (room 17), the bed cover is frayed and marked and every surface is dusty and stained. The bathroom is mouldy.
Although the room itself was not small by Paris standards, I could not towel myself dry after a shower in the minuscule bathroom. Once again, if you are of large physique, I don’t see how you can use this bathroom at all.
The manageress is Parisienne and is very knowledgeable about tourist things. The other staff are not native French speakers and will tell you any old thing rather than admit they don’t know. Beware – you might end up on the wrong side of Paris if you listen to them.
The bathroom and the bedding were clean. It cost 120 Euros per night including breakfast for two which means it was about 80 Euros per night for the room (May 2008). That’s about right for the area but because of the state of the place I did feel ripped off.
And yet I enjoyed staying here... I really don’t know why. Character yes, charm, no.
The location is great. Being down a side street it avoids much of the noise of the Bde St Michel but is in the heart of the city for eating out, touring etc.
Bde St Michel Metro is 2 minutes walk away and on a direct line from Gare du Nord and Aeroport Ch de Gaulle (Take the RER line B, not the Metro).
In conclusion I would say if you’re visiting Paris as a tourist, try to find a hotel in this location for its ease of getting around. Use this hotel if you can’t find anything else nearby. It’s OK but nothing special; just a place to lay your head at night.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MaxCLondon
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Our room was the first door half-way up the first flight of stairs - sort of felt like we were being led into a storage closet, but once inside it was such fun, with low ceilings and exposed beams in contrast to the huge, flowery paper on the walls. The bathroom was new, so full sized tub, which was great. We didn't have any problems with cleanliness and loved the easy access to the city, quiet street and daily french breakfast brought to our room.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple