“Wonderful Little Restaurant/Deli”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A Parisian friend took me here for dinner on a recent visit to Paris. Friendly, polite, and knowledgeable staff were happy to explain the menu (in English as well) and made excellent recommendations on courses and wines. Highly-recommended.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We chose this place for our 'fancy' dinner out, the set menu of one appetizer and one main dish was 24 euros (I think it was 27-30 if you had a dessert too). We got a few glasses of the recommend wine (our server was very nice and helped us pick out some delicious dishes, although I am pretty sure they are all good). The wine was 8 euros / glass - a little on the pricy side for me, but it was our one fancy night so it's okay.

Between us we had: sea snails in broth (yikes, not for me), baked mushroom and chicken pastry, roasted chicken and lamb, salad, and DELICIOUS potatoes au gratin. Seriously, the potatoes were the best ever and if I could I would have eaten a huge plate of them for dinner (definitely my butter quota for the day). We went on a Wednesday and snagged the last table outside (there aren't many) there are a handful of tables inside which might have been better as the people next to us were smoking up a storm.

Over all, it was good, nice dinner, total of 77 euros for two meals and 4 glasses of wine, pricy but pretty nice. The street isn't a particularly picturesque one, but it did make me feel like I was hanging out in a neighborhood. There are so many good restaurants, I don't know if we'll go back to this one right away, but it was a good bet for sure.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Loved this place! We were visiting Paris and had read about Jeanne A in an article on Paris wine bars in Food and Wine magazine. How lucky we were to find the place just down the street from where we were staying. It was not very busy when we came in...probably because we arrived relatively early compared to dining times for locals...but we were happy to snag a tiny table set against shelves full of fruit for sale and across from the deli counter where we could watch the cooks prepare dishes and view some of the things we eventually ordered. I even bought a couple of gourmet items to take home for gifts.

Okay, about the food. My husband ordered an entree/plate combination and I ordered a plate/dessert combination so that we could share the entree and dessert. Our server was onto us and brought utensils for two with those courses. The entree (what we call an appetizer in the US) featuring a duo of pates was absolutely scrumptious; we'd enjoyed other pates previously on our trip, but these were the best. I wish I could tell you what meats they contained, but we enjoyed them in ignorant bliss. We each sampled a couple of different red wines, ordered by the glass. My husband had a delectable rabbit/herb "pie" for his main course and I ordered one of the house specialties, a crispy-skin chicken served with gravy on the side and a rich yet delicate potato gratin. Our dessert was a layered creamy fruity layered pie. We enjoyed chatting with an English-speaking server who eventually ended up helping us. Overall, Jeanne A provided a wonderful Paris meal in a friendly and casual setting for a surprisingly affordable price.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

My husband & I and another couple visited Jeanne A for dinner. We had dinner at their sister restaurant, Sassotondo, 2 nights previous to our visit. So we knew about Jeanne A and the concept. It is part deli, part grocer and part restaurant. It is not a large space but it is comfortable. The staff were very pleasant and our waiter had a great sense of humor and spoke perfect English. It was a pleasure to have him serve us. My husband ordered the roast lamb, the other couple ordered roast chicken to share and I ordered the rabbit tourte. The entrees came with a potato gratin that was off the charts good. Actually, all of our entrees were very good-great comfort food. We had a red blend of Syrah, Grenache & Mouverde that our waiter recommended. We enjoyed it so much that we ended up buying a magnum of it to take away with us. Dinner for 2 with wine ran 43 Euros. I would not hesitate to recommend Jeanne A and would definitely go back on a return visit to Paris.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

On our second night in Paris it was the premiere of the 2011 Beaujolais. so of course we had to partake. As we wandered the streets by day, we noted the cafe's that we might like to dine at that evening. This was my choice has it had a delicious smell coming from the rotisserie. Returning here around 7, we found the little cafe/store transformed into a Beaujolais party, complete with live jazz. We ordered a bottle and sat back and thoroughly enjoyed our tiny table wedged amongst the gourmet retail items and busy take away counter. We decided on rotisserie chicken with au gratin potatoes and artichoke. The food arrived , presented nicely with a sauce that enhanced the chicken. The potatoes were perfect, flavorful. The artichoke was taken back to the kitchen to remove the choke, replated with greens and a light dressing and returned for our consumption. Felt like we had found our Paris. Upon leaving we purchased another bottle of Beaujolais, hoping to relive our evening at Jeanne's.