“Warm and friendly”
Review of Bistro Volnay

Bistro Volnay
Reserve with
Bistro Volnay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,123 of 17,155 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Cannes, France
“Warm and friendly”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

No English menue,but staff was helpful with translations. Food was wonderful. I had salmon. I asked for it to be prepared rare and without the fennel, it came perfectly prepared. My husband ordered the pork pie. He said it was outstanding. He had a pâté appetizer and I had a haddock type slaw. They were both fine. No soup on the menue last night. Although the menue show 3 courses, they happily served us two. We arrived at 7 and were seated with a reservation, but the place did fill up and we were asked to leave by 9. This was not a problem. We plan on returning.

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Prix fixe pour Parisians”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

This is a hidden central gem of a bistro, filled with French locals (always a good sign). I was the only foreigner having lunch, a refreshing respite from the throngs of tourists that pass through the neighbouring Place Vendôme.

The bistro opens at noon and if you want the pick of tables then come early as it fills by 12:30. I appreciated having a table to myself as I happened to be alone. There is service at the bar as well but they were kind enough to give me a table.

The prix fixe menu is both great value for money in Central Paris and also very good. I tried the terrine for starters, a pavé steak with pepper sauce and a fine tarte aux pommes that was a lovely finishing touch.

Recommendation: request a table away from the entrance, especially in winter as it can be both cold and inconvenient.

3 Thank Charles R
Los Angeles
“A lovely, perfect bistro, with a good prix fixe”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

At the suggestion of a Parisian friend, I went here late about 10pm and they had 2 set menus. 3 courses, 35-45 euros total each. Their female sommelier was very friendly and helpful, with a chablis about 40 euros. Dry and crisp. About 160 euros total for the dinner for 2. Sounds like a lot but really a good value in central Paris. Food was a notch above normal, and the space is very cozy. I would totally eat here again. A nice place, not trendy and not overly traditional.

• Visited February 2014
Greenwich, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sophisticated fun at Bistro Volnay”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Entering this intimate art deco Bistro in Paris' "Golden Triangle", you're likely to meet two unlikely proprieters of what we found to be one of our best meals in the "City of Lights." I lived in Paris and my wife and mother-in-law are both from Geneva and frequented Paris dozens of times so, our familiarity with and expectations of dining in this wonderful city are both considerable.

New Year's Eve is a special occasion around the world and especially in Paris. We put lots of work into deciding where to spend the evening's festivities. We also had along with us our 6 year old daughter. The first thing that struck us was that the unlikely proprieters are not a shadow investor or consortium of investors, rather they are two highly personable, exceedingly professional and attratcive ladies namely, Delphine and Magali. They were accomodative and playful with our daughter and consummate professionals when it came to service which was very efficient and executed with grace, patience and etiquette.

The decor is Bistro deco. Clean lines, great music of the jazz era, present but not loud. The interior was very clean, classy and intimate. On New Year's Eve Tuesday December 2013 the menu kicked off with a mise en bouche followed by a spectacular veloute de topinambour or Jerusalem artichoke soup that was unique and spectacular. At that point during the well paced courses and service we were treated to duck foie gras with country bread with nuts and again it was superlative. Seafood was next up in the form of a light, tasty and ever so thinly sliced carpaccio de Saint-Jacques and black radishes. It too continued the dance on our palettes. Beef Wellington was the entree with truffled potatoes followed by a plate of five delectable cheeses and topped off with lemon meringue pie. An espresso made for a superb exclamation point.

The meal was timed like an orchestral peice, wonderfully coordinated with each dish beautifully presented and complementary of the other. As if that wasn't enough, the wine menu was superlative. A wonderful selection was offered by the glass although we opted for a 2010 Bordeaux - again a winner! Although we did not indulge in a desert wine, for those of you wondering how high priced you can potentailly go, the wine list does serve up Chateau d'Yquem sauternes. I would characterize the wine list as highly selective wines across the spectrum and reasonably priced per bottle.

Now, one might ask, how much better can it get? A great question because for us, it did get better. It came in the form of both proprieters - Delphine and Magali. These smart, classy and FUN businesswomen are obviously very demanding to have acheived what they've done at Bistro Volnay and whose two distinct personalities also complement one another that as the dishes served here do. They in fact helped make New Year's Eve so very exceptional.

To ring in the New Year, party packets were placed on everyone's table, again well-timed and unrushed. Ringing in the New Year was accompanied by a persoanlized playlist ranging from French classics, American pop, Italian, etc. etc. Every tune was known by all, festive and appropriate. Both ladies had the restaurant's clientele willingly up and dancing, tooting horns and enjoying a unique time together. The music complimented the customers that reflected a diversity of nationalities and it was truly a wonderful expereince to see both Delphine and Magali dancing with my 6 (soon to be 7) year-old daughter. Judging by the affectionate parting goodbyes as our memorable evening came to a close, I will look back on this experience as one of our finest for New Years - anywhere! The downside is waiting for the next time we come back to Paris. it could be a while but when we do, we'll definitely plan an evening at Bistro Volnay to see Delphine and Magali while eagerly anticipating what their daily menu is like.

Very highly recommended.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ron Q
New York City, New York
“Even BETTER than the last Bistro I visited in Paris!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Bistro Volnay was recommended by my concierge. TRES FANTASTIQUE! So simple...unassuming...so WONDERFUL! Haute address (around the corner from Le Bristol), but so unpretentious and YUMMY! Jerusalem Artichoke Veloute and Duck for me...Lobster Bisque and "Veal Pie" for my mom! Oh, and the Rice Pudding....sigh! Perfection!...and not too euros! Go...now!

• Visited December 2013