“The worst place to eat”

Minsk, Belarus
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst place to eat”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was really a bad experience for us - a group of friends of 6 with one having birthday that day! While the owner was kissing a woman on the terrace, a waiter was trying to find a bottle of wine we ordered to start with. And he eventually didn't! We had to choose one more - though, it was complicated: nothing declared on the menu was "in stock". So, we had to change our wine after one bottle. Nobody gave us to try the wine, and nobody asked how we wanted our steak done. It appeared to be medium, and this is not what we really like. I wish we left that day for a better place to have a birthday dinner...

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Irina B

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Sidewalk cafe at les halles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you are in the arrondissement #1 this cafe is a must. Good people, good service and good location. The French people are good at people watching and this is the place for people watching and having a good meal with your glass of wine. (French) Onion soup to die for. I will go back here when in this area of Paris. My wife and I just love this place.

• Visited August 2012
NYC
“Excellent Prix Fixe Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

For 14 Euro we each had snails and then either salmon or fillet. Everything was well prepared. Service not a problem. Lots of business folk on lunch break. Very satisfied. Had this lunch two years ago and returned this year. Ate outside as the weather cooperated and it was a pleasant experience for not much money.

• Visited September 2012
Paris
“nice food and good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I had reserved Acajou des Volcans for a birthday diner of a friend of mine through La Fourchette with a nice discount on all food and drinks. The reservation went through very well and promised discount was applied automatically. It's a typical Parisian Brasserie of a kind. Nice but simple decoration. The food was very good and the plates were generous. We asked for a birthday Cake that was delicious and served as a Birthday Cake should be (with candles and song). The service was a bit slow in the beginning, but once we passed the order, all the rest was OK. We spend a good evening in this place and it was not that expensive for a good, well placed restaurant.

• Visited May 2012
NRW
“Literally one of the worst meals of my life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I read about this restaurant in a book of classic bistro interiors in Paris and thought we should go have a look. It is nice inside, needs some buffing, and definitely some cleaning, but the place is all 1880s or so.

Since it was raining terribly outside we decided to sit down and eat something. Standard three course dinner, nothing special.

And nothing special it was indeed. I am not new to Paris, I've traveled here at least five times a year for the past 20 years, but never had I had a worse starter - some kind of fried egg with an unidentifiable oniony sauce, my partner had a roasted chicken which she could hardly chew, my main course was simply a steak a poivre with no life at all, and the desert, some kind of lemony tart thing that had come nearly directly out of the freezer. House wine, terrible. Water, tap in a bottle I have no doubt.

Service, sleepy and would rather smoke outside than to see my waving for the bill so we can make a quick escape.

We only ate about 1/3 of each course and they still didn't get the message. I paid, we left, I write review. SKIP this place. Or, if you are into interiors like we are, go have a drink or something, but PLEASE do not order any food.

• Visited January 2012