“Complacent and indifferent”

Les Bains du Marais
Ranked #162 of 237 Spas & Wellness in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This luxurious spa is best known for its Moroccan-style steam rooms.
Bloomington, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Complacent and indifferent”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

My wife and I had been going to Les Bains once or twice a year, when we visited Paris, sometimes notifying them via email of our schedule, and asking for an appointment. The last three or four times, the emails have not been answered (even though I used their website contact information). I can only assume that their business is so good that they no longer had need of ours.

Too bad.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank so-sojourner

Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

I took an appointment on Sunday afternoon.
I got my treatments with a delay of 45 mins.
Very poor sanitation and hygiene level.
The most painful, dirty and expensive place to get waxed.
Two good points: the tea they served you before the treatment, you can have a shower before to leave the SPA.

1 Thank CipoJulie
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awful; unhealthy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2007

On February 10, 2007 I went to the bains having made an appointment some weeks before. They had no trace of the reservation. The place was packed and they seemed intent on squeezing as many people as possible into already cramped and ill maintained spaces. The bath never led to a hammam treatment and the subsequent massage was to be managed by a woman in full throws of flu or a major cold. When I tried to get another person, no one spoke enough English to know after three tries what flu, cold, or illness meant. The staff were unhelpful and even impertinent. Never go back especially on a crowded Saturday. Ill trained staff, unclean facility, crowded spaces. Awful.

5 Thank MikeMaryland
Dublin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Everybody should do this ......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2007

Perfect Paris experience , everyone gets tired walking around Paris and what better way to spoil yourself than have a Hamman , a fabulous collection of steam rooms and massage rooms , this is truly a fabulous and amazing place and well worth the admittedly steep price

Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Forget the Louvre...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2006

My husband and I booked a quick trip to Paris this past March and just shortly after booking our tickets, there was a wonderful article in our local newspaper about the hammas scene in Paris. (A hammas is a North African style spa/sauna.) Both of us have been to Paris multiple times, so we decided to give this non-touristy option a try. We went to Les Bains du Marais on a Sunday, which is co-ed - so you must wear a bathing suit. The cost for just the hammas was about 30 Euros, per person. Slightly pricey, but there are less expensive hammas in Paris, although for us, the money was well spent. The place is gorgeous, in addition to the hammas, they also have a cafe, hair stylist, manicure, pedicure and multiple other spa options. For your 30 Euros, you get entrance into the hammas and the 'rental' of a luxurious white terry cloth robe and towel. The hammas is basically a very large sauna...and all you do it relax and sweat out all impurities, stress, whatever! I loved every minute of it -- my husband, who is a little more timid than I in these situations, really seemed to enjoy it. The tiled room is flanked with two open showers that you may use to cool off in. There is also a second sauna room that is much hotter. I really wanted to have a 'grommage' which is the scrubbing, but you must book pretty far in advance. So, instead, my husband went to the front desk and purchased the grommage glove and we exfoliated ourselves in the sauna. (We had seen some of the Parisians doing this, so we just copied them!) After the hammas, they have a relaxation room called the Salon de Repos. It's a beautiful, dimly lighted room where you cool down after the hammas. While we were in there, an attendant came in to see if anyone was interested in getting a massage, they had an appointment come available. So, I opted for the massage. A word to the wise...there is no room for modesty here! You have to get completely naked, which isn't completely unusual, but they don't cover your mid-section either! And don't be as surprised as I was when they massage your mid-section. But, hey...when in Paris...

18 Thank Deanna Figiel