“A quiet hotel in Paris” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #493 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Central UK
“A quiet hotel in Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just back from 3 nights here. I spent a while on TA and other sites finding the right hotel and am happy with my choice.

Other reviews with negative comments are fairly accurate, however none spoiled our trip. Yes, some of the tiles in the bathroom were cracked; yes the sink plug refused to open without a lot of coercing and nothing was done about it. And I would add that the 1 curtain only just fits across the window... Decor is a bit oldfashioned and the wardrobe doors were a bugger to close sometimes but it was clean and generally in very good condition.

However, our Superior grade room was plenty big enough (room 5 on the ground floor) and was absolutely silent in the evening. Wonderful. The aircon worlked fine - it was so quiet I managed to sleep perfectly well with it on ni the large, comfortable bed. Reception were mostly fairly friendly and helpful and spoke English (but really...at least TRY to say a few words to them in French first!). No idea about soundproofing - didn't hear anyone next door but didn't see anyone either so we may have been alone in that corridor, just behind reception.

We decided to eat breakfast in the hotel - not the cheapest but it depends what you want - we wanted to fill up before each day started, so it was reasonable value or money. If your idea of breakfast would be a croissant and coffee, then go to a local cafe and get it cheaper. Food was fine, although not an overly wide selection. But enough. And the breakfast room was very peaceful also - never more than a half dozen or so people when we visited.

The area is fine - nearest Metro is Chemin Vert which is around 15-20 mins from Gare du Nord. Easy to get around anywhere from there really.

All in all, the few little maintenance issues aside, this hotel is well recommended for a quiet oasis in the city centre. The nearest boulevard is pretty busy and noisy - which makes the quiet in the hotel even more impressive. If you want modern and "happening" and dynamic - maybe look elsewhere. We were very happy with our choice.

Room Tip: Go for a Superior room for the extra space - assuming you can get it at a decent rate. Don't pay...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Fareham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights, and location is great.

However, if you pay full whack for this hotel, I can see why you'd be disappointed. It's a typical old school French hotel that hasn't really changed since the 90's.

However, if you get it on the cheap, it's a good base - you're in Paris, get out and enjoy the city!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rekrabwuh
Sébastien D, Responsable relations clients at Villa Beaumarchais, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
I thank you for your remarks on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the very central localization of the Villa Beaumarchais which is nestled in a quiet and small street and located at only 10 minutes by walking until the famous Place des Vosges of the Marais area.

I took well note of your comments regarding the decoration of the hotel and I am really sorry if it has not been at the level of your expectations.
I present you all my sincere apologies and I hope to have another opportunity to better welcome you at the Villa Beaulmarchais.

Yours faithfully,

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Do not stay here it is a health hazard, a/c broken, staff incredibly Rude, cut my self on broken tile, room stunk of cigar smoke and we asked for a none smoking room. We asked for clean towels and are still waiting 3 weeks later.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Hoons69
Sébastien D, Responsable relations publiques at Villa Beaumarchais, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
I thank you for your feedback and I sincerely apologize for the frustrating experience you had to live through staying with us.
Indeed, this does not reflect the guest service attitude we are claiming to deliver.

I ensure you that I had a very serious meeting with our housekeeping service & desk team about your remarks and that measures have been taken in order it never happen again.

I present you again all my apologies for the bad treatment you received and I would be more than happy to have the chance to welcome you again in our hotel in the future and to give you another image of our service. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to.

Yours sincerely,

V. Barbe,
The manager.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Rooms are very poorly sound proofed. I could hear people in the room next to me almost as if we were in the same room.
At 1AM, the night clerk/guard had a very noisy phone conversation and laughed very loudly, waking me up. I could not fall back to sleep with the noise and had to tell him to stop. The reception did nothing next morning about it.
the staff seem to be doing their task with poor quality, not being very considerate, that feel like being in a 2-3 star hotel, not a 4 star.
I will never come back, and would not recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank souliouz
I would like to thank you for the time you took for communicating on Tripadvisor the details of your stay at the Villa Beaumarchais.

I am sincerely sorry for the nuisance you endured during your stay and I present you my deepest apologies for the inconvenience it has occurred.

The desk team has been re-informed of the procedure to follow concerning the respect of silence & discretion and I ensure you that I had a personnal and serious discussion with the concerned night employee.

Please accept our excuses again for not having satisfied all your rightfull expectations. I invite you to contact me directly if you decide to give us another opportunity to better welcome you another time.

With kindest regards,

Lawrence, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Villa Beaumarchais may have deserved four stars ... decades ago. First the positives: (1) Terrific location, near metro stops, nice cafes, and bustling boulevard. (2) Front desk staff friendly and did the best they could. (3) Comfy bed, so a good room when the lights are off.

I'll just list SOME of the negatives. (1) Threadbare room, with stained carpet, loose and broken bathroom tiles, poor lighting, uncomfortable chair (singular!), and so forth. The tiny dimensions are to be expected. The run-down conditions are not for this price point. (2) Primitive wi-fi system. If one opts for the (single!) computer in the lobby, it's 5 Euro for 15 minutes! (3) Mediocre breakfast that's way over-priced. (4) Barely functioning lift.

I've stayed in two-star places in Paris that were better quality, and a much better price.

1 Thank William B
Sébastien D, Manager at Villa Beaumarchais, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel on Tripadvisor. Your remarks are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize because the standard of your stay did not meet your expectations. Measures have been taken in response to your comments to improve the comfort and the standard of the amenities provided at the hotel.

We really appreciate you share your concerns and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed this week as part of a group so can't talk about rates but the hotel is close to metro stops and near many places to eat so that is good. The staff was friendly and helpful which was good also . Breakfast was average with limited choices . Biggest problem was related to what I would call preventive maintenance . First we had a leak in our bathroom ceiling due to rain there solution was putting an old towel under the leak. Lights in hallways are off so can be dark in fact when we used the stairs since elevator seemed to have been tied up the lights went on when we opened the door but went off again as we hit floor two. Our bathroom sink wouldn't allow the water to drain out so we had to take a knife from dining room to force it open . We also noticed that on the courtyard side many plants outside the rooms were dead so to be this was a low budget hotel with many maintenance issues so if you want that and can get a good price this may be an option but for me I would look for a hotel that even if old keeps itself well maintained. Rated 3 based on location but could easily have gone lower. Finally our room was very tiny

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our hotel in Tripadvisor.

I am really sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express you my sincerest apologies.

Please be ensured that I took notes of your remark regarding the leak and the sink problems in your bathroom. Our technician fixed these problems up today and our housekeeping team has been informed of the right procedure to apply in that type of situation.

It is true that the light in the corridors & the stairs are not automatic and you have to use a button to put it on. Our elevator company is doing regular controls on our machine and no light problem has never been reported to me. Maybe the light cut was a general & exceptional one in the hotel area.

We also began a total refurbishment of our garden yesterday.

It is just naturally that we improve our service according to your remarks and we would be more than happy to have the chance to welcome you again in our hotel in the future and to give you another image of our property.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

A typically Parisianne hotel. Nice arty decor and bright atrium area. Hotel has a bar, although this is a quiet hotel, so do not expect the bar to be too buzzy. Friendly and helpful staff. Clean room, although this is an older hotel so there is the occaisonal scuff mark and cracked bathroom tile. Bed was a bit lumpy but i've experienced worse. No tea / coffee making in room. TV had good choice of channels with some in English. Extensive room service menu. Shower worked well as did aircon (not too noisy).
Location was pretty good. In a nice part of Paris. 4min walk from one Metro line and 10min from another. 25min via Metro to Gard Nord. A taxi back from the Latin quarter at 2am was 8 Euro so not too bad.
Breakfast was ok, with a choice of cereal, hot food, fruit (nice fresh fruit salad), crossants etc. However not cheap at 15 Euro per person. You can get a coffee, orange juice and crossant within a 10min walk for half this or less.
In summary a good hotel with some plus and minus points. Great if don't want a large chain hotel that has a Parisianne feel.