“Great French hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #493 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Houston, Texas
“Great French hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Looking for a hotel that is true Parisan.....look no farther. The staff is very accommodating, friendly & very helpful. The rooms are small but very clean. The whole hotel is immaculate. Breakfast is very good. But the air conditioner they advertised was not evident. The last day we were there, it got unpleasantly hot. The bar closed down very early.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank d_ditges

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

nice, old, cozy place. we stayed in a Junior Suite with our two kids. It was an okay room but don't expect a suite.... The air condition didn't function during our stay but we made it out any way...The staff are very kind and the breakfast was fine and the staff was very kind here as well. The hotel is located perfect, nearby metro stations and the very charming Marais quarter.

• Stayed July 2012
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was my first visit to Paris and I loved every second. We literally just slept and showered in the Villa Beaumarchais so haven't a very strong opinion on it, who wants to spend all thier time in a hotel in a beautiful city?!

The staff were friendly and rooms were more than adequate, the hotel was a little shabby but I quite liked it and found this added to the charm!!

My boyfriend and I left the hotel around 9am, made the small walk to St Sebastian metro station where we bought a 3 day visitor ticket for around 30 euros - great price!! We travelled by metro almost everywhere, it was so quick and easy! We also took a tour bus around and got a lot of information from it's audio system. We went sight seeing all day, came back to shower and get changed, then went out all evening, often coming back to the hotel around midnight.

YOU MUST take the dinner cruise on the Seine, we paid 99 euros (the cheapest option) but I don't know why you'd pay more?! We sat one empty table away from the window and right at the back of the boat - perfect view, we were given a welcome drink, a glass of white and a bottle of red and a beautifully cooked 3 course meal. The cruise was 3 hours long so was our whole evening and we got to see the amazing landmarks lit up at night, ending with the orginal statue of liberty and the effiel tower glittering when the clock struck 11. Very romantic!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emily908
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My company travel agent booked me here when they had trouble finding anything available for my dates. It's in a good location for tourists - horrible location if you're on business. But that's not the hotel's fault and I didn't deduct any stars for it. It was the hottest 2 days this summer in Paris and the hotel had no air conditioning The consolation, water in the minibar was free. The carpet was incredibly stained, like there had been sitting water on it for weeks before someone noticed. The bathroom, while clean, was tired and needed to be freshened up. Unlike other reviews, I didn't experience broken tiles but I did experience a broken shower. I couldn't be bothered to report it since it was so hot anyway, a cool bath was actually quite refreshing. The room was small and dark but that's what I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was the incredibly dark hallways. I'm glad I have the flashlight feature on my iPhone because I used it to find my room. Maybe dark hallways are supposed to be romantic but for me they felt dangerous, like I was going to run into a table or attempt to access the wrong room.

On the plus side, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful in calling taxi's and providing metro directions. It is located within 2 blocks of the Metro so that's a plus. If you choose to stay here, inquire about the air conditioning before you do.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MichelleHammer
Fairfield, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel is rundown, dirty, worn out, the manager is rude. When we checked in we were told sorry but the air conditioning is broken. It was sweltering hot and humid. No fans, nothing. When asked if we could be relocated to another hotel, we were told that there in nothing available in all of Paris. The hotel has an old musty smell, there is black mold growing in the bathrooms. Do yourself a huge favor; do not stay there. They will act as if the broken air-conditioning is something new. Just read the reviews!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Deni K
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel property is old and tired (20 years old as I have be told by the staff). Clearly the rooms have not had any proper renovation since it was opened and they desperately need it! Changing the bedspread is not enough for 20 years of constant use! The rooms are small and dark with stained carpets, broken wall tiles and floor tiles. You will risk cutting yourself on the broken bathroom floor tiles if you walk bare feet. Curtains do not work properly (too small). For a 4star hotel it doesn't even provide full toilet and full towel amenities. Breakfast is so mediocre. We cannot understand how it has retained its "four-star luxe" category. The only saving factors are the location, and the staff being friendly and understanding. But the hotel is living off a category it truly no longer deserves. We had to look at three rooms before we found one that was barely adequate. In one room the safe did not work. The air conditioning in the entire hotel was out of service when we were there.
This is such a shame as this hotel really could be wonderful, but it fails spectacularly. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone until it has gone through major renovation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank e h
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed in a junior suite, the darkest room I have ever been in. Quite luxurious and clean, but let down by cracked tiles and stained carpets (see photos). It was the darkness of the room - the photos really do show what it was like standing in the room's entrance way - which ruined it. If you only counted that part of the room with light, it wasn't a suite but a small room! Breakfast was appalling - smallest buffet I have ever seen and near-zero service. But the hotel's location is superb. And the internet is fast.
If you can afford the premium, upgrade to the nearby Pavillon de la Reine in Place des Vosges - have stayed there several times and it's much better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo