“Great Hotel”

Ranked #279 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Fl
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

This was a very nice hotel, updated trendy rooms...clean. We did have to laugh about our housekeeper though. One day we didn't have towels, the next no chocolate with turn down service, another day she turned the heater up so hi we died coming in the room. It was more of a comical thing than a big issue we wondered if she forgot her meds!!! ha
They make you pay for internet which is crappy...so if you have an iphone, you won't be able to use e-mail even if you have a prepaid data package. The rooms are small so be prepared....If you have been to NYC you know what I mean. They are not horribly bad though. The location is fantastic...5-10 min walk to ET, ARC...CE etc. Close metro stations. The concierge was very helpful each time we needed something...train tickets, reservations etc.... We did eat at the new restaurant run by Alain Duchase (butchered his name) it was fantastic. The courtyard area is beautiful and quiet...great place to end the day with a glass of wine. I would recommend this hotel for someone who has never been to Paris and wants something familiar (i.e. Marriott family of hotels), also because of it's location. I personally will try another hotel next time just because it's Paris and there are so many areas to explore, but I do recommend this one.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Holls33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
Knoxville
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I chose this hotel because it was small and I anticipated a great service attitude. I was very pleased with the helpfulness of all the staff. The room was small by American standards but quite sufficient and the bed was fabulous after a long day of much walking. This hotel is an excellent choice for those who expect courtesy (by also extending it to the French). This is also a great hotel for those who want to take in the most traditional sites of Paris and be able to walk to them. A great overall stay and I would return to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank jadbrowal
NJ
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Well where do I begin. We got to Paris ahead of check in time and the room was not ready. The staff was VERY helpful to us! We got a room upgrade with a view of the court yard. I can not express how wonderful the staff there is. Everyone is so helpful and very kind with the language problem! :) Me and the Mrs. trying to speak high school french. The place was clean and well taken care of. This was my first time staying at a Renaissance Hotel. And it will not be my last. We were so close to the metro which got us to all of the locations in the city. And the places that we were told to go to eat, man what can I tell you. I love french food!

We are planning to go back to paris and try the new one that is being built.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hheath
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on our first trip to Paris. It was in a GREAT location - walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triumph, etc. It was also easy to get to multiple Metro (subway) stops. Hotel staff was VERY helpful ... nice, helpful, spoke English when needed (for someone who didn't speak a lot of French), etc. Clean rooms, clean courtyard and solid restaurant selection within walking distance. Plus, a close grocery store if you wanted to shop a bit on your own.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to any family or friends.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Munich
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Excellent hotel, great room. The staff was superb and the buffet breakfast was definetely ok!
Location is great, between the Arc and the Effeil tower. The only shame is the lacking of a swimming pool. However, I had really good time: the restaurant was superb, the room big and the bathroom big and clean. The bed was the largest I have seen in my life!!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Mickleton NJ
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My mother and I visited this hotel on our way back from Kenya. We couldn't have been more excited to arrive in Paris and once we did, we couldn't wait for the plane that would take us home. The airport itself was a nightmare and unless you speak the language, the people are very rude. The cab driver that picked us up threw our bags into the car and completely over-charged us for the fare. Upon arriving at the Hotel the staff was cold and unwelcoming. The room itself was nice and had the most comfortable bed and view of the Eiffel Tower though. The bathroom was always clean, but the tv only has one station in English, CNN. The food at the hotel is ver expensive as is the food throughout most of the city. I brick-oven pizza, a coke, and a glass of red wine cost us over $80USD! The hotel then attempted to charge us almost $700USD upon check-out for using our calling card to call home for connection fees, that they assured us was only $5USD for connection fee when we checked in. We had to argue with the manager for the entire last night that we stayed and the following morning and we still ended up having to pay $350USD! It's a shame because the city is so beautiful, but the people are just cold. I wouldn't visit Paris again!

• Stayed June 2008
2 Thank TempleUgirl
Singapore
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We arrived on a weekday late evening, approx 8:30 pm. It was nice as we were the only ones at the front desk and had their full attention.

At the exterior, the hotel looks quaint and nice. Lobby is just a little small but pretty classy (white marble, good layout).

The room given to us was very clean to begin with. The carpet felt brand-new and even my wife, who is a very particular person about cleanliness, commented that it's one of the cleanest hotel carpets she had seen. Having said that, the general cleanliness of the room was pretty good. No issues at all!

The location of the hotel is excellent. It's within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower and the Champs Elysees shopping district. The hotel is very near other shopping streets (eg. Victor Hugo) and is fairly near the area where embassies are located. I would urge first time travelers to Paris to factor in the importance of a hotel's location as this makes it so much easier for you to move around.

The hotel has a little french restaurant within its premises "Le Relais du Parc" that is part of the chain set up by the internationally acclaimed Alain Ducasse. It has a beautiful charming courtyard. Breakfast is served in this restaurant. One important tip is to check if the hotel rate includes daily breakfast.

The hotel also has a little drinking lounge. Looks nice but I did not try it as I am a lousy drinker.

The hotel's gym is very well maintained, clean and pleasant. Seems that the gym is hardly used as the equipment are all very new.

The hotel has a ready supply of UK and US newspapers which is a plus for me. Internet access in the room is pretty pricey at 6.99 euros per hour.

The only thing I found inconvenient was that the bathtub was fitted with a quarter-length glass pane which was inadequate for keeping water from splashing out onto the floor if you are showering while standing in the bathtub. I encountered this type of hotel design when I stayed in Italy a couple of years back. I believe this is a common toilet design in Europe.

The concierge is pretty helpful with their recommendation of places to visit and restaurants in the vicinity. There is also a security person stationed at the entrance of the hotel around the clock (with an armband marked "Securite").

Overall, I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good, clean start with their stay in Paris!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple