“3 Days in Paris”

Ranked #219 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“3 Days in Paris”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Recently spent 3 nights in Paris. It's a beautiful hotel right in the heart of the Opera district of Paris. The room was very clean as was the whole hotel. I found all the staff to be very helpful especially the concierge who helped us with numerous suggestions for dinning out.
As it was my first time in France I was worried about the language difficulties that people talk about. The staff at Le Grande were more than happy to try and help me in English unlike other places I later visited in France.
This hotel is very central to the Louvre and Eiffel Tower as well as the metro rail network. I was able to purchase a ticket to the Louvre from the concierge which gave me access to a priority line when I got there.
All in all was happy with this hotel except having to pay a high price for WiFi. At approx $700 AUD/ night this should be free
Stuart

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality & Administrative Assistant at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Stuart M,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing the InterContinental Paris Le Grand on the occasion of your last stay in Paris and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
Moreover, we are pleased to see that you found our very central location and facilities convenient.

Also, we are delighted to that our hotel staff contributed to you well-being during your stay with us. Your comments will be shared onto them.
Then, we are delighted to read that our Concierge service contributed to your enjoyment during your stay.

Dear Stuart M, thank you once again for your kinds compliments.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon to continue to discover everything Paris and the InterContinental Paris Le Grand have to offer.

Quality & Administrative Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Despite being upgraded to a superior room at check in, I encountered moldy walls and peeling wallpaper in the bathroom (see photos). I requested to be moved to another room, but was told only standard rooms were available. I was also assured that the problems would be fixed by maintenance, so I decided to keep the original room. When the problems were not fixed on Day 2 or Day 3 of my stay, I asked the staff at the Guest Relations desk to cancel the last two days of my stay, but they convinced me to stay by offering an upgraded top floor room with an Eiffel Tower view. When I returned to the hotel at the time they informed me the new room would be ready, they changed their story and said they could only move me to a larger room with no Eiffel Tower view -- and on a lower floor than my original room! The bottom line is that the hotel has rooms in disrepair and a haphazard manner of handling legitimate guest complaints. I will not be returning for a 3rd visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Travel E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Travel E,

Thank you for your review. As hospitality professionals, it is our goal to consistently provide superior service at our hotel and we are truly sorry we did not manage this during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of the points you've raised in this review and shared them with our Management team to review the procedures we have in place and make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

Thank you again for posting your comments.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Club Room: Gilles (concierge #1-helped with reservation confirmations, took care of our room problems, etc), Lody(provided great conversation and professional service), Ernesto (welcomed us the first time and showed us around), Abdelghani helped up with our reservations during the early afternoon, and Valentin assisted with my egg orders at breakfast and was just very attentive, cute, and friendly.
Concerns: small shower but biggest concern was when I saw woman on 3rd floor smoking while I was having breakfast in the 5th floor lounge. She was standing by her window and would step over to the window to exhale and flick her cigarette. When I told someone in the lounge, the response was so? If you are going to claim to be a totally smoke-free hotel, then enforce it. In the US and Canada, there are signs posted warning of a huge cleaning fee (usually $200 or about 150€). The next guest will notice unless the person was acrobatically standing on the ledge with the wind blowing away from the room. It’s like the people who smoke in their cars with their arms out the window; they still have to bring the cigarette back to their lips. The only way these addicts will learn is if they have to pay the price!!!
Upon arrival, the television would not turn off, change channels, etc. Also, there was a dull buzzing noise about every 2 minutes from the mini-bar fridge. A technician came promptly and fixed the tv, but it took several hours to get the buzzing stopped. Once it was fixed, the fridge was warm, but they did something, and in a few hours, it did start to cool off. We only used the personal ledge for our stuff because we had access to the lounge and didn’t need to use items from the fridge. Gilles and Lody arranged for us to receive a complimentary bottle of champagne, a bucket of ice, and a bowl of nuts for that evening after the lounge closed. Normally, the charge is 115€ (or about $150) for room service to deliver a bottle of the same champagne. Great Customer Service!!!
As Platinum Ambassador, we booked a club room and then received at least a one level upgrade so we had an Executive Twin. They redid the bed arrangement so it became one bed without a crack in the middle to fall through. Each half had separate duvets so that was a nice touch. We were in room 5103. The air was on and worked enough to help keep the room bearable along with the open window at times, but it was not as comfy for us Floridians who like good ac. The bathroom was nice with a tub, vanity, a toilet off to the side, and a separate shower. The shower was small for us, but we made it work. After the IC Frankfurt with a shower big enough for a basketball team, this was a bit of a shock. We received a complimentary tin of cookies and a Paris memo pad due to our Ambassador status. We also received one bottle of water per person (2) per day. Unlike the Marceau, we couldn’t drink the non-alcoholic beverages in the mini-bar for free, but that is because they have an Executive Lounge where we could get those plus beer, wine, and champagne all day as well as spirits in the evening. The room had 2 separate closets. One had a very appreciated safe. There also were an iron and ironing board, but we did not use either. We both needed an electrical outlet by the bed, but each side only had the one with the lamp plugged in so we had to unplug both bedside lamps. This could be an area for upgrade-put in lamps with built-in outlets or add a free outlet on each side of the bed! In conclusion about the room, I have no complaints except that we should lose weight in order to fit better in both the tub and the shower. The two problems (tv and buzzing noise) were resolved plus they went above and beyond to make amends.
I would recommend the lounge if you are a big breakfast eater, like a few glasses of champagne or wine, and snacks. I believe it’s about 130 euro (I think per room per day) to access if it’s not included in your room type. Since breakfast is 49 euro per person and drinks and snacks aren’t too cheap in the main areas, this is a bargain plus you get to enjoy the breakfast, snacks, and drinks in a very relaxing area. The lounge’s second floor has great views of the rooftops of Paris including the Opera, the Galleries Lafayette, and more. The team members in the lounge are all attentive, kind, and very professional. Service is top notch. Also, for breakfast, they cook made to order eggs and omelets. (the nice lady who checked us in at the front desk in the lobby did not think we could have eggs made to order so if you have any questions about the hotel, ask the Executive lounge staff or the concierge in the lobby) If you want to do it cheap, book the smallest room in the hotel and then add lounge access. Spend all of your time at the hotel in the lounge except to sleep and bathe! You won’t be disappointed and you will get your money’s worth, but if you want to spend a lot, book the best room in the house and enjoy! You can splurge a little or really do it up big time! This is excellence at its best!

Room Tip: Outer room for Paris view-inner for quiet (or possibly a view of someone in their undies or less?)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Dear DisneyParis,

We are glad to notice, despite a few technical issues in your room during your stay, that you enjoyed our central location and that your room contributed to your comfort during your stay with us.

We are glad to read that you found our very central location and facilities convenient.
Also, we are delighted that you enjoyed your experience in your room. We are please that the bathroom with all of the bathroom supplies and amenities provided were up to your expectations.
Your very detailed description will certainly be useful to many travellers and we hope you will have the opportunity to try out many other different types of rooms we have.

Dear DisneyParis, we want to thank you once again for your kind compliments on our on our hotel staff, rooms and building. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at the InterContinental Paris Le Grand.

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

What excellent service and fabulous rooms
Perfect for families as rooms are bigger than normal
It's In an excellent location
Concierge has been more than helpful
The atmosphere is very good Nd very busy around the area
I would stay Again at the intercon
As it's a very good chain

Stayed January 2014
Dear Feral123,

We are glad to read that you found our very central location convenient and hope that you enjoyed the wonderful view from your room!

Your compliments have been passed on to our concierge team; I am thrilled to see that they contributed to your enjoyment.

Dear Feral123, we look forward to welcoming you again soon at the InterContinental Paris Le Grand.

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Yes, it was our 4th visit in this hotel. Though it is overpriced, we loved it so much. Centrally located, a lot of favorite cafes and good for shopping. Btw, we had issue this time.
We have been downgraded, because our initial "upgraded" room was above the jewish wedding, VERY loud and VERY loud-loud again. OK, have to move once again one day after. 3 movings in total.
Our 3rd room was good, but we still can feel the metro vibration (!).
Have to say, the hotel gave us a pleasant gesture, the dinner in Cafe De La Paix which was good.
Anyway, we are continuing being IC Ambassador members and happy because of that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank alexzhdanov
Dear alexhdanov,

On the other hand, we are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations particularly on the issues you have pointed out. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually

Finally, we apologize for the disagreements concerning your rooms and noises issues

Dear alexhdanov, we want to thank you once again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand soon.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The rooms are tiny but cozy, out of date mattress but comfortable. Great location and helpful stuff. The bathtub and shower should be replaced with new ones. Yet, it is a very big, traditionally decorated hotel, with good old style.

Room Tip: Not inner side rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sarakz,

We are please that the bathroom with all of the bathroom supplies and amenities provided were up to your expectations. We are attached to conserve an old-fashioned style on your hotel in Paris.

Moreover, we are pleased to see that your room was up to your expectations. What a pleasure it will be to share your comments with our teams. Thank you for your very kind comments!

Dear Sarakz, we want to thank you once again for you great review and we hope that your comment will be useful for many travelers.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand soon.

Missoula, Montana
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I had a 1 night layover in Paris and since I am a platinum ambassador I picked this hotel. After reading reviews, I decided to take the roissey bus from the airport to the hotel and took a taxi from the hotel back to the airport. It was quite fun taking the bus for €10. and it took about 50 min. It dropped me off in front the opera house and a block or so from the hotel. It was very easy to spot the hotel once I got off the bus. As I walked over to the hotel I was just in awe to be in Paris and the opera house was the first impressionable building I saw. Upon check in my ambassador status was acknowledged extensively. They had upgraded me to an executive suite on the lounge floor but my room was not ready. I was welcome to have a complimentary drink while waiting for my room or I could go up to the lounge and relax. I chose the latter so I could relax, and charge my phone. They did offer me a standard room which was available immediately but I decided to wait for the larger room.
The lounge is 2 floors and had a nice pastry selection along with wine, coffee and sodas. It was definitely and nice place to relax for an hour after my flight. Once my phone was charged and I was ready to explore the city, I went downstairs and inquired if my room was ready. Fortunately it was and my bag was brought up. I inquired when breakfast was available as i had a mid-morning international flight. My breakfast was to be in the lounge but didn't open until 7:30. I needed to be in a taxi headed to the airport by 7:30. Fortunately, the hotel staff allowed me to take my breakfast downstairs in the restaurant for no extra charge. Back to my room- It was a charming room on the 5th floor with a large sitting area, king bed and a nice updated bathroom. The view just looked out into a courtyard which basically means I was looking at other rooms... Not really a nice view but I wasn't in the room to look out the window anyway. After cleaning up a bit, I headed out to take in the sites. The hotel is in a superb location. I walked all over - to the Eiffel Tower, up and down the Champ de élysées, several christmas markets and many places in between. When I returned to my room that night, I had a lovely note from the hotel manager welcoming me to the hotel, a bottle of water and a nice box of little pastries.
Overall, the hotel staff was exceptional - they were extremely friendly and helpful. The service was absolutely impeccable. My room was delightful and the lounge was a lovely retreat. My only regret was my family could not experience the hotel and Paris with me. I will definitely be back. Thank you for making my one night in Paris amazing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear 2momstravel,

We are glad to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
Moreover, we are pleased to see that you found our very central location, your room and our facilities convenient.

Dear 2momstravel, thanks once again for your kinds compliments.