“Great hotel...added-value: huge breakfast at beautiful "Cafe de la Paix"”

InterContinental Paris Le Grand
Ranked #227 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great hotel...added-value: huge breakfast at beautiful "Cafe de la Paix"”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Hotel centrally located close by the beautiful Opera. The strong differenciation point lies in its "Cafe de la Paix" (a parisian institution) where guests enjoy the huuuge breakfast in a chic& so parisian atmosphere.
Entry-pricepoint rooms tend to be a bit small.
They have this amazing complimentary homemade ginger tea at the gym, I will go every night for a quick sip, the taste is memorable!

Room Tip: Avoid 1rst floor room if possible, already felt subway vibes& party sound from downstairs...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear mimosachan,

What can I say except for thank you for your great review here on Tripadvisor!
We are glad to see that you enjoyed our central location and that it contributed to your comfort during your stay with us. Our hotel is indeed ideally situated for shopping and the Café de la Paix breakfast is a must to prepare a busy day of sightseeing or shopping!
We a pleasure to see that you liked our homemade ginger tea! Your comments will be shared to the Spa.
We hope you will have the opportunity to try out many other different types of rooms we have.
I hope that your comments will be useful for many travellers.
We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon again at The Intercontinental Paris Le Grand.

Quality & Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and two kids stayed here for five days in July 2013. Let's start with pluses. Great location and the public areas are really beautiful. On the not so good side: the hotel is big, maybe too big. When you arrive you have a long line of people checking in. We had asked almost a month before for interconnected rooms. I was told that was not possible and that “we should have asked for it in advance”. Of course she didn’t have any mention in her computer that we had done precisely what she advised. Once you checked in and arrive to your floor the odds are that you have to walk a lot to find your room. We had two deluxe rooms (35 sq. m.) I was charged accordingly. Really they looked much smaller and cramped. The air conditioner was sorely needed because we had hot days. But they didn’t work as expected in BOTH rooms. You had to set them to the highest level and wait more or less 3 or 4 hours to notice some change in the temperature. I told the concierge about this problem and nothing was done. I also asked if some paper and a pen could be left in the rooms because there were none. Finally we complained about the fact that the maid in order to make room in a closet for some pillows had moved our clothes. No excuses or explanations were received. I don’t think we’ll be returning to the Intercontinental Paris Le Grand.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jose Maria F
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Jose Maria F,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are so sorry to hear that you did not find certain areas of our hotel up to your expectations.
We regret to hear that you did experience some difficulties regarding the check-in and that we didn’t take into account before your arrival that you wanted connected rooms. We also regret that you had to walk a lot to find your rooms and that we couldn’t have the opportunity to resolve this for you by calling a bellboy to guide you.

I also apologise that one of the maids moved your clothes without noticing nor explaining you; and that the concierge didn’t take into account your requests and the air conditioning issue. Rest assured that this is not usual. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Your feedback about our staff has been shared with our Management, and I wish to specially thank you for sharing these comments with us as it is a precious training tool.

We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations particularly on the issues you have pointed out.

I do hope that we will one day have the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Could not ask for more. This was our honeymoon weekend and chose the city of lights. The location is perfect and easily walkable to most sights, Eiffel, Latin Qtr, Notre Dame and Sacre Couer, even if the feet ache.
We decided on the full treatment with limo collection at CDG and whisked to the hotel where we were greeted. The interior is beautiful and you get a real impression that you are in Paris circa 100 years ago. Our room facing the Opera was exactly what we wanted and with flowers, champagne and personal greeting cards it made a perfect stay. We are going back next year

• Stayed August 2013
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Ray F,
What can I say except for thank you for your great review here on Tripadvisor!
We are glad to read that you found our very central location convenient and that you enjoyed the wonderful Opera view from your room!
What a pleasure it will be to share your comments with our teams.
We are delighted to see that you find our facilities convenient and enjoyed our service and I hope that your comment will be useful for many travellers.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon to continue to discover everything Paris and the InterContinental Paris Le Grand have to offer.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Having learned about the history of Intercontinental Paris Le Grand Hotel on a Paris Walks Garnier Opera Tour...and having dined many times at the beautiful Cafe de la Paix, we were very excited to finally stay at Le Grand during our final nights in Paris. Our suite had a beautiful view of the Garnier Opera House roof. The luxurious wallpaper, carpeting, furnishings, every single detail was true to the period. The sofa bed our very tall son slept in was queen-sized so he was very happy. Our room's windows faced the inner courtyard so it was very quiet. It was quite a maze from the elevator to the room but wherever you walked there were pictures of Opera performers, music, etc. that it was a pleasure getting lost in history. The club area had the kindest and most helpful receptionists, the early evening canapes and petit fours desserts were beautiful to look at and delicious! The business center above the lounge area had two or three desktop PCs available for our use, which was a Godsend as I had to do research for a case.The staff kindly lent me a notepad and pens to use.
Had I the time, I would've shopped at the Galeries Lafayette and Printemps departments stores, and UNIQLO, all which are a few minutes away on foot.
At breakfast, the bagels with salmon and cream cheese was delicious! Many people were taking advantage of the "to go" cups for their hot drinks before they hit the road. Pressed for time, and not sure if we had time to eat breakfast our final morning we rushed with our suitcases to the lounge and the kind staff provided us with boxes so we could eat in the cab, and while we were doing so had our suitcases rushed downstairs to our waiting cab by the bellboy! They think of EVERYTHING! We were fortunate in having the very personable and fascinating Mr. L the manager see us off. We would definitely stay here again and our 14 year old is now hooked on the InterContinental brand. Bravo!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VolcanoGirl_11
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear VolcanoGirl_11,

What can I say except for thank you for your great review here on Tripadvisor!
We are glad to see that you enjoyed our central location and that your room contributed to your comfort during your stay with us. We do hope that you enjoyed the fabulous view from your room.
Your compliments will be passed onto our Front Desk and Club Lounge staff.
We certainly appreciate the compliments for our teams and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests.
Your compliments have been passed on to our General Manager, “the personable Mr L.”; Mr Laure is thrilled that you really enjoyed your stay.

Our hotel is indeed ideally situated for shopping! We are delighted to see that you find our location and facilities convenient and I hope that your comment will be useful for many travellers.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful hotel. The hotel staff are very professional and friendly.

Large comfortable rooms, great bed.

The food and mini bar is over priced. It's probably inline with most 5 star hotels in Paris... never the less It's impossible to justify 31€ for a burger or 12€ for a coke. Disappointing as sometimes you just want to stay in and eat.

I would stay here again, but I wouldn't ever eat here.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Chris-JH-Smith,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
We are glad to see that our staff and your room contributed to your comfort during your stay with us.
Your compliments have been passed on to our teams; I am thrilled to see that they contributed to your enjoyment.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed regarding our prices. We are regularly benchmarked against outlets of a similar standing in the neighbourhood.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

First allow me to express how awesome the magnificent property was. The lobby and ballroom were classic royal/imperial French decor. I love the historic feel of the hotel. As an intercontinal elite and ambassador the intital welcome and service a let down. However, upon. Me informing the front desk of the glitch they went above and beyond to correct mistake. The decor in the rooms was tasteful but didn't plan to sit around room much while in Paris. I will add the the use of the standard intercontinental shampoo, lotion and conditioner was disappointing only because the cache of hotel and it is in France. I had a hard time getting any one vibe. Notwithstanding I enjoyed the stay liked the hotel . The positives outweighed the negatives of stay
Though on to the facts

It is in a wonderful location centrally located with easy access to all the major tourist sites

Has ornate lobby with historic classic decor and was really nice.
Easy access to metro

Avoided the hotel breakfast which I usually partake in because it was 52 euro there is a nice Parisian style of some paste rise and coffee you can order in lobby for 18 euro.....very tasty but one can find cheaper at most cages.

Was a fine stay but I wasn't blown away . I also enjoyed it and would recommend it.....

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Epfeagles,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
We are glad to see that you enjoyed our central location, your room, and the French 19th century decoration of the hotel. And indeed we are ideally situated for shopping!
On the other hand, we regret to learn that you were not satisfied in several areas and would like to apologise for that.
We also regret to hear that you found our hotel overpriced; our prices are regularly benchmarked against other outlets of the same standing in the area.

Kensington, Maryland
Reviewed August 15, 2013

When you think of the reputation of the Intercontinental Hotel franchise, you think of quality. What we experienced was anything but. The hotel itself, in the public areas is very nice, the ballroom we were in was quite beautiful, glittering chandeliers, frescos on the ceiling, etc. The room we were in however was a huge disappointment. Upon entering the room you are overwhelmed by a huge stench of mildew! I was really surprised by this. When we mentioned it to the housekeeper, she didn't understand - spoke only french. We mentioned it to the front desk personell but nothing was ever done about it. The room itself was tiny, but then again it is Europe and all rooms tend to be on the small side. There was room for a Queen size bed and a small desk on one side of the bed and a nightstand on the other side of the bed. There was a small chair in a corner next to the TV which set atop a cabinet which held the minibar. It would be nice to have a coffee pot in the room. The bathroom was great, although the tubs are very narrow- maybe 14" wide. Bathrobes are old and scruffy. We would not come back to this hotel based on this experience. And how can you justify charging $18 Euro or $23.84 for a MILKSHAKE on the room service menu?? For laughs we converted prices on the room service menu- outrageous! $9.00 for a can of Coke ? A Heinekin beer was $10. They did provide a converter in the mini bar that you can use in your room and they give you back your $$ upon check out. That was great, as our converter didn't work in the room.

Room Tip: I would ask for an "inside" room overlooking a courtyard, as the hotel is on a very busy r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank krs10s
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear krs10s,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
We regret to learn that your room was not completely up to your expectations regarding several elements. We do continuously refresh our guest rooms and, at each time, add services and features in order to adapt to our guest needs. I would like to apologise for the inconveniences that you and your family have experienced during your recent stay with us.
Your comments have been passed on to our Technical Director regarding the room furnitures
Concerning the housekeeping service I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused. Your comments have been passed on to the Head of Department in order to avoid such occurrences in the future.
I also regret to learn that the service that you received at the Front Desk was not up to your expectations. This is not the level of service that we strive to deliver. Your comments have been passed on to our Heads of Department and I do hope that if you return in the future you will see a difference.

We regret to hear that you found our hotel overpriced; our Minibar and restaurant prices are regularly benchmarked against hotels and restaurants in the area and within the same level.