“My favorite in Paris”

Ranked #228 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Minnesota City, Minnesota
“My favorite in Paris”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This property may not have all the features of some other five star hotels, but its location, charm and outstanding staff, make it perfect for me. This is my fourth or fifth visit to this property and it is still my favorite in Paris.
The location is perfect! A romantic atmosphere across the street from Opera Garnier, 2 blocks from the classic department stores: Printemps and Galeries Lafayette as well as more moderate stores such as C & A. A few more blocks to the west is La Madeleine area with its luxury boutiques, food and dessert shops. The property is also a short walk to many fine restaurants, Place Vendome and the Louvre.
I was there on a very busy weekend in Paris due to the Air Show, and prices were higher than a typical summer weekend. Even so, Le Grand's prices were competitive with the other 5 star properties, but they imposed a 4 night minimum. I arrived quite early on a Friday and was prepared to wait hours for a room to be ready. Not so, check in was efficient and a room was ready on my arrival. Alexandra, a guest services associate made an extra effort to find me a room with a small balcony, and courteously recognized my Priority Club membership (which provided free internet as a benefit.)
The room was reasonably large - for Paris. The room appointments were a traditional design (dark wood, red and gold color schemes) and quite attractive. Drapes included sheers and good quality room darkening inner drapes. The bed was very comfortable with luxurious linens, and there was a large screen TV with many channels and stations in multiple languages. Lighting included a master switch as well as individual reading lights and attractive accent lighting.
The bathroom was modern. The tub had a frameless glass hinged door that covered about half of the tub. I know they’re trendy, but I prefer a good old shower curtain that keeps the heat in. Nonetheless the shower had good pressure but squirted over the glass door into the rest of the bathroom. The tub was a bit slippery and could use a bath mat. Upon my departure, when bending down to pick up a brush, I found there actually was a bath mat, but it was hiding deep under the vanity where I would never have thought to look.
Housekeeping was excellent. The room was serviced perfectly each day with fresh amenities and complete re-staging. A request for more pillows was handled immediately. Turn down service was an added treat. Bathrobes and slippers were included. (Nice, thick terry bathrobes!)
I did not use room service except for a few buckets of ice, but they were prompt in this request.
I like their ground floor restaurant, Café de la Paix. On a nice day there’s the outdoor seating facing the opera house and on a rainy day they have a glass enclosed porch with a nice view of the city. The food and service were excellent for breakfast, an afternoon snack, and dinner.
The Concierge desk had several gold key Les Clefs d’Or agents available, and the wait time was short. The ones I spoke with were professional, knowledgeable and helpful but a bit abrupt -- well it is Paris. My only real criticism was they were not in tune to the traffic issues in the city due to the air show. I scheduled a car through them to the airport and they were quite insistent that one hour travel time was adequate. I had spoken to taxi drivers over my stay all of whom indicated the air show was causing long traffic jams to CDG in the two to three hour category. My instinct said to trust the cabbies, so I compromised and ordered my car allowing for two hours travel time. I barely made the check in deadline and was quite rushed. I would expect a concierge of that caliber to be better in tune with what is happening in the city. Perhaps they relied on the car service to know the timing.
Paris is a treat for me, and I don’t go there to pinch pennies. Usually it is a stopover on the way to business elsewhere. Intercontinental Le Grand is expensive but represents all the romance and intrigue that makes Paris such a popular destination. By the way, if you save up your points from all those boring nights in Holiday Inns, you can use them here for free nights since both are IHG brands and earn/accept Priority Club rewards!
Overall the property and service are outstanding and I highly recommend it for any occasion.

Room Tip: Join Intercontinental Ambassador Club and you'll almost always get a great room upgrade. Courty...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Route162
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Route162,

What can we say except for thank you for your great review here on Tripadvisor!

We are glad to see that you enjoyed our central location and that your room contributed to your comfort during your stay with us.

We have of course shared your compliments with Alexandra and the team and we are all delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay.

Your very detailed description will certainly be useful to many travellers and we hope you will have the opportunity to try out many other different types of rooms we have.

What else to say but thank you for the very complete and positive review.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon to continue to discover everything Paris and the InterContinental Paris Le Grand have to offer.

Quality Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We over nighted here and what a wonderful experience. Wonderful spacious old world charm!
Excellent value with everything close by and in walking distance.
We had a stunning breakfast and a good couple of drams of WHISKY from a very well stocked bar. Great espresso coffee.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Ray E,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to see that our service contributed to your well-being during your stay.

hank you for your review and for your compliments on our hotel.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to have the opportunity to
welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand soon.

Kind Regards

Paris
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We actually spend a lot of time in Paris and have an apartment there, but we wanted to spend a romantic weekend soaking up the city without the kids. After lining up a sitter and looking up a lot of hotels, we ended up picking Le Grand. It was a splurge and it was worth it. Gorgeous, classic room with a balcony view... a big, soft bed... and (call us spoiled) the delicious chill and cool, quiet hum of central air. We didn't use the very large flat-screen TV, but it's worth noting that there is one, tastefully centered between the large closets and built-in dresser.

We didn't sign up for in-room Internet, in part because it was pretty expensive as hotels go (I see from notes here that they're looking into changing that). But that was okay, because we didn't need it for the reason we were there (which was pretty much the opposite of checking email).

Everybody was delightful, from checkin to checkout. We had a room service breakfast the next morning. It wasn't cheap, but it was definitely worth it. Worth adding, when we were looking around at hotels, I had some questions and sent an email to guest services. Not only did I get a personal response, but when she heard about our romantic weekend plan, she set up a nice welcome with amazing macaroons, some fresh fruit, and a chilled bottle of champagne. I doubt they can do that for every guest, every time. Still, it was a very nice touch and much appreciated.

On the way out, we went through the hotel's Cafe le Paix. They were setting up for brunch. We're already planning on bringing friends and family back some Sunday. Not at all a bargain hotel, but that's not a surprise to anybody looking to stay here. I'd highly recommend Le Grand.

Room Tip: We were on the Blvd. side, rather than the Opera side, on the 4th floor. It was very quiet (and the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackalope
Dear Jackalope,

What can we say except for thank you for your great review here on Tripadvisor!

It was a real pleasure to welcome you and we thank you again for the very complete and positive review.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2013

A grande dame. Well placed and beautiful by the Opera Garnier. From here one can walk anywhere in Paris...the most beautiful city in the world.

Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This Intercontinental property, "Le Grand" must mean for the price vs. the service. Lackluster service, great location, concierge was average, not all that helpful and recomended a restaurant for dinner that was from a price persepctive over the top. Outrageous...put it to the Americans...
Not friendly...I would not go back there, for the same money you have so many other options.

Room Tip: High floors ot avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 1957MikeCat
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, quality department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear 1957MikeCat,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit at our hotel.

We are happy to see that you felt our property to be well located and that you could enjoy the dynamic shopping area and attractions.

Your feedback about our staff has been shared with our Management, and I wish to specially thank you for sharing your feedback with us as it is a precious training tool.

We apologize for the inconvenience this situation may have caused.

We do hope that we will one day have the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand.

Kind Regards.

Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This expensive, five-star property in the historic Rue Scribe is located just by the Opera Garnier opera house and the "Grandes Magasins" of Printemps and Galerie Lafayette.

50 metres along the road a wall plaque by the Hotel Scribe commemorates the spot where the Lumiere Brothers first presented a moving picture show at the end of the 19th Century. Architecturally, nothing has changed.

The Grand Hotel is without question the only place I would stay in Paris in the main because of its comfortable rooms and excellent central location.

Built in 1862 in the style of a Napoleonic palace, the hotel was gutted and refurbished in 2003 but has kept all of its original features giving it a definite wow factor. I have stayed there many times having moved my loyalty from the Hotel Scribe opposite following the refurbishment.

Whilst the international staff are always snooty and are presumably trained to treat guests as an unwelcome inconvenience this Grande Dame rises above it all and whispers quietly in your ear "ignore them - I'll look after you".

Everything about the hotel (apart from the staff) is first class. The public rooms on the ground floor are stunning and include the celebrated ballroom and lounge area along with the historic restaurant, "the Cafe de la Paix" where a lavish buffet breakfast is served daily and sets you up until dinner time.

The bedrooms and marble bathrooms are lavish. The beds to die for. Even the walls of the corridors leading to the bedrooms are covered in prints and photographs harking back to the golden age of Ballet and Opera at the Paris Opera House next door.

The downside: with very few exceptions the staff do let the hotel down badly and thus it has always been since I first stayed in the hotel ten years ago.

You step out of the taxi. There is no doorman or bellboy to assist you with your luggage or to welcome you to the hotel. You check in and wait what seems an interminable time to be registered by a miserable, (invariably) German trainee who is not remotely impressed by any Intercontinental Loyalty Card you may have whatever its level. You get to your room and the chambermaid bangs on your door saying she wants to freshen it up. If you ask her to come back in 10 minutes time she looks at you as if to say "you know what? You clean the room yourself".

But having said all that, the positives do out weight the negatives and I recommend this establishment because of its comfort and convenient location within walking distance of so many of the sites of Paris.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Irving007
Dear Irving007,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are attached to the quality of service delivered to our guests. When and if we happen to fail meeting our clients’ expectations we sincerely appreciate to be made aware as we need to understand and progress.

We thank you for the compliments and look forward welcoming you soon again to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The le Grand hotel is excellent located in the heart of Paris. It's close to the Galleries Lafayette and to the Opera. It met our needs for a hotel located in walkable distance to some sights.
We got a warm welcome at the hotel. Check-in was quick and already possible at 11:30 am.
Our room was nice and well maintained. The cleanliness of the room was fine. They even checked the room twice a day.
The breakfast buffet was good, but way too expensive. That's the only negative point.
In total we had a pleasant one night stay at the le Grand hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Department at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Andy B,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel is indeed ideally situated for shopping and the Café de la Paix breakfast is a must to prepare a busy day of sightseeing or shopping!
We are glad to see that our staff contributed to your well-being.
Thank you for your review and for your compliments on our location and our rooms.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand soon.