“Good hotel but need to pay up!”

InterContinental Paris Le Grand
Ranked #219 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Kuala Lumpur
“Good hotel but need to pay up!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had a chance to stay at all room category. If you are in Paris for a business then you will not need to worry about where to stay as you will just go back and sleep in the room. However, if you are traveling with your partner, then, I suggest that you will need to stay at a higher category - minimum of junior suite. You then will really can relax and enjoy the hotel as well as Paris. The food is generally very good at the hotel. The hotel is centrally located and hotel staff are generally friendly and helpful. I have had a chance to use concierge a number of time but make sure you will write to them in advance for your requirements (i.e. restaurant & ticket booking, on ward travel arrangement etc) then they will take care of it satisfactory. Since this is rather a big hotel, if you ask for an ad hoc request then they will not be able to handle quickly as they often hosting a large corporate event at the hotel. I also used them for hosting a large corporate event at the hotel but they have managed well. The only complain is that it takes quite long time to check in as the hotel is often busy and there are limited number of staff at the reception desk.

Room Tip: Stay at higher category. You will not regret it. Avoid the cheapest room. Very small and would be...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KLTokyo
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Coordinator at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear KLTokyo,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

Please accept my apologies for any difficulties experienced upon check-in.

I am glad to hear that you did enjoy your stay and we hope to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand in the future.

Krumma.jonsdottir@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manama, Bahrain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

When most people factor in the grand and great Parisian hotels, the Paris Le Grand almost certainly always lays forgotten. Ironically, this beautiful historic hotel, home to the world-famous Cafe de le Paix, was once the epicenter of high Parisian culture- the place to see and be seen, where you came to socialise with the highest echelons of society. That day is, however, long gone. Perhaps it is an image problem- the name ''Intercontinental' evokes an image of a black concrete business hotel, not this extraordinary 150 year old property. Within the hotel the name InterContinental is not used, and the property is almost solely branded as the 'Paris Le Grand'- it may very well be wise to rename the hotel 'Paris Le Grand by Intercontinental', or something a long these lines, to be able to differentiate the fact that this property is VERY different from your average ICH hotel.
My stay here was comfortable. Indeed, due to the fact that I managed to protract a virus a day or so before, I ended up spending a substantial amount of time in the hotel itself, rather than exploring Paris as originally planned. I was in an Opera Suite, which is a comfortable junior suite-style room, with guest toilet, master bathroom, bedroom and living area. The suite also had terraces overlooking the beautiful Opera Garnier, which was designed by the same architect as the Paris Le Grand. Services in the hotel were satisfying- the reception staff were very courteous and gave you your time, even with the very busy nature of the hotel, and breakfast was, in a word, sublime.
Two incidents disallowed me from giving this hotel the five stars it'd otherwise deserve. One, was the fact that I felt this hotel could have been something even greater- mark my words, one day, the Paris Le Grand will be back up with the Ritz Paris, Hotel de Crillion, the Le Bristol and the other great hotels of Paris. Perhaps it needs a renovation- not of the building, but of the way in which it is run. Currently it is a large, mainstream 5 star luxury hotel- yet I feel like the hotel has the potential to not just be that, but recapture the reputation it once had. I am sure in the future it will. The other, slightly more major incident that disallowed me from giving it a full 5 star rating is the fact that the hotel, or rather the chamber maid, lost an expensive suit I had put in the laundry bag to be laundered. It was all extremely suspicious- I had broken a glass of water in the suite's bathroom, and asked for a maid to clean it up. Once she did, I paid her a fine tip for I understand this was quite the inconvenience. I then gave her an expensive suit to take down to the laundry, which I did not see again- upon questioning, she refuted the entire exchange, which was to be quite frank, offending. Nonetheless, the hotel was responsive- the front manager promised an entire investigation, and upon arriving at my next hotel in the south of France I received a call from the hotel's Operations Manager informing me of the investigation. The following day, after not having found anything, they refunded the price of the stay- this service, and the way in which this problem was handled has made me feel satisfied enough to come back to the Paris Le Grand next time I am in Paris. I just wish it did not have to happen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank malioil
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Beautiful hotel, rooms are luxurious, large for paris and generally amazing, great location if a little crowded. Lobby very decadent and grand. However, while having a drink with my father in the lobby, he was beckoned over by the concierge who warned him about 'working girls' like me who try and pick up men in the lobby !!!!! Was outraged at the accusation of being a prostitute !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, Quality Coordinator at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Travelgirl8823,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed our location and the hotel itself.

I can only apologise for the terrible incident that occurred concerning the Concierge Team and regret any injury that this may have caused.

I do hope that this has not tarnished your image of the InterContinental Hotels Group and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Paris in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is located in a central area so it is very convenient. Do not stay in cheap category. The room is small and run down. My wife and I stayed several times there and higher the category (suite), the better it gets. In that way, I think the hotel is very fair as if you are happy to pay then you will get a better quality of the room. As you know, some hotels in Asia are different i.e. regardless of the category the room could be all good.

Room Tip: Stay in higher category. Do not try the lower class. The room is very small.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank UmaiUmai
Dear UmaiUmai,

Thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor.

We do hope to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand in the future.

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at the hotel in early October on a much-too-short trip to Paris. We used points for our stay. We arrived right at check-in time and were given a room immediately; we were also accommodated when we asked for a room facing the Opera House (which was a great view!)

The location of the hotel was the key benefit for us. We walked to the Louvre, Place de la Concorde, and Notre Dame/Ile de la Cite. We were right on the Open Tour bus line which we bought passes for ("Paris a la Carte") - we used the bus more than the Metro (and the a la Carte passes also included the Batobus boat, which we also used). We didn't find many moderately-priced restaurants close to the hotel but we were usually away from the hotel for meals.

To get to the hotel from CDG airport we took the RoissyBus. This is the most economical and direct option we found, and I would use it again. The only caveat is on arrival - we were told that the bus runs every 15 minutes, but we waited for almost an hour outside of terminal 2E before a bus came. The bus starts at terminal 3, and we were the 6th stop. I believe that the bus fills up and skips any remaining stops, and we just happened to arrive at a busy time (late morning). (My suggestion would be to take the airport shuttle to go to terminal 3 if the line is long at your terminal.)

The hotel itself is very opulent - the lobby and atrium are very beautiful. We had a standard room, which I thought was a reasonable size for this part of Paris. The Internet access is expensive, I thought - 24E per day - so we didn't use it. The bath products have a lemon verbena scent which I liked, and there were bathrobes and slippers in the bathroom. Our bathroom had a tub, and separate shower stall, and was a reasonable size.

I only have two complaints - one is that the bed was two singles pushed together, so it might as well have been two separate beds. And two, that the water temperature in the shower fluctuated quite a bit.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Le Grand - the hotel was beautiful, the staff were accommodating, and the location was fantastic.

Room Tip: request a room facing the Opera House
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank parrotfish91
Dear Parrotfish91,

Thank you for your very complete review here on Tripadvisor.

We do hope that your review will be useful for future travellers.

I would like to apologise for the discomforts that you experienced during your stay. We do have the option to make a King bed out of two twins upon request. Concerning the hot water I do hope that we had the opportunity to resolve this for you during your stay.

We are glad to read that you found our very central location convenient and hope that you enjoyed the wonderful view from your room!

We hope to welcome you back to the InterContinental Paris Le Grand in the future!

Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here with two other women over New Years 2009. When we arrived in a taxi with our backpacks we definitely stood out. The rooms, building and location are amazingly beautiful and are very well appointed however the stuffy conservative atmosphere wasn't really my idea of a good time. The location is awesome, right across from the Opera and close to a major subway stop but I don't think I'd stay here again...

Room Tip: Save your money, out of the 72 hours we spent in Paris we spent less then 12 hours in the room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Danielle H,

Thank you for your review and for your compliments on our location, rooms and building.

We hope to see you again one day in Paris!

Reno, Nv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel is celebrating their 150th anniversary!! Stayed for 4 nights here in October and the location is excellent......walking distance to the Louvre, Tulleries, Siene, etc. I booked this hotel with Priority Club Points and with Platinum status they upgrade one level up which would be a Superior room. I was offered an upgrade to a junior suite for 80 euros a night and took them up on that offer. The room was amazing with 3 balconies, view of the Eiffel Tower on the top floor and shower and bathtub. The room layout and furnishings were stunning, truly a great spot to stay. I do have a bit of a problem with no other amenities other than 2pm late check out. If you want the executive lounge, it costs 90 euros per day which in essence you are paying for a lot of goodies out of your pocket. Unless I am going to hang out in the hotel, this is not a very good deal at all. Did not eat any meals in the hotel, breakfast buffet is 49 euros which was enough to stay away. Broiche Dior bakery is right across from the hotel and croissant and coffee cost about 5 euros. Another must see is Galleries Lafayette which is two blocks away from the hotel. Kind of like a Harrods in London type store with every imaginable foodstuff offered in the food hall, along with lots of dining choices. This store is also a great place to shop for anything you are looking for since they have the tax free department which handles all the paperwork for you to take to the airport. Sales tax runs about 21% here. Staff and Concierge are wonderful here with lots of good information. One little thing that did happen on a regular basis was housekeeping knicking once and then opening the door at 9pm to check on if we needed extra towels, etc. I was a little stunned at this.............one other point, internet connection is $11.00 an hour even in the lobby. Starbucks is two blocks away and it is free there.

Room Tip: If you are offered a deal on an upgrade to a junior suite for a cost, I would definitely look at it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank romanring
Dear Romanring,

Thank you for your review.

We do hope you enjoyed our 150 years celebrations, it was a great success!

We are glad to see that you enjoyed our central location and that your room contributed to your comfort during your stay with us.

Thank you for your compliments to our staff; be sure that we will pass them on.

I hope your review will be useful for other travellers and we hope to welcome you back to Paris in the future.