“Great stay”

Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres
Ranked #542 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 21, 2006

We chose this hotel based on the reviews here and we were not disappointed. The checkin was prompt and efficient. Even checking in early in the morning after the trans Atlantic flight, our room was ready. We had reserved a deluxe room. It was large for European hotel rooms. The furnishings were just fine, nothing fancy, but nothing bad either; really typical of Holiday Inn. The bathroom was large and nice. The high speed internet worked just great. The location is great, subway stop 1/2 block away and train station only about a 10 min walk. Several good restaurants within easy walking distance. Our room rate included breakfast in the hotel and it was great. The staff were friendly, spoke good English and were very helpful. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank FlyingERDoc
joel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your comment concerning your stay in our hotel.

We have the pleasure to inform you the renovation of the hotel has been done on 2010 and 2011.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres

Reviewed April 12, 2006

We booked a room through Hotwire for $99US/night, taxes inc., for 4 nights (7-12 April/06). The standard room available through Hotwire is very small by North American standards. We found the pluses of this hotel to include:
- great location, a 2 min. walk from two different Metro lines: #4 (Saint-Michel, Notre-Dame Cathedral, Les Halles) & #12 (Musee d'Orsay, Concorde, Montmartre). Close to the Luxembourg Gardens, la Tour Montparnasse and very EASY walking distance to Boulevard Saint-Germain. Direct bus #82 to Les Invalides and the Tour Eiffel. Close to two OpenTour lines, stops within 10 & 15 min. walks.
- very, very clean and well-lit room
- quiet hotel in a quiet location
- large and well-appointed bathroom, by Paris standards (shampoo, soap, hair dryer & facecloths provided). We did not encounter any problems at all with the shower/bath combo, which was very easy to adjust and had plenty of *constant* hot water.
- English spoken
- Helpful staff (when approached with courtesy - unfortunately, I did witness bad client behaviour). During our stay, staff helped with outside breakfast recs, looked up addresses & movie listings on the Internet for us, provided accurate directions, opened our wine bottles, provided extra towels when asked, and made`arrangements to return my forgotten cell phone charger.
It was very easy to fax the hotel directly in order to request a twin room, which was ready for us for a morning arrival & check-in.
However, very expensive breakfast. You do not chose this hotel for its food choices - which are very poor (you're in Paris - why even WANT to eat in your hotel restaurant, anyways??!). Lots of alternate choices nearby, including a great patisserie. Not a very good restaurant district, unlike Saint-Michel.
This hotel was perfect for us. We found a global mix of tourists staying there, of all ages. We would return because we found it to offer great value.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank Free-to-wander

Reviewed April 6, 2006

I stayed here for business and paid 150E. I was kind of excited because the reviews were so good. The location is good but without that, this place has nothing to offer. I was looking forward to having a coffee pot and an alarm clock in my room, as advertised on their website -- I had neither. I know French hotel rooms aren't very big but my room was so small the door hardly cleared the bed when opened.

When I got to my room and plugged in my computer, the lights and TV went out. I called the front desk and was told by the employee she was the only one there (from which I inferred no one would be coming to fix it, it was around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday morning). After traveling all night from the US, I was not in the mood to sit in a dark room, trying to stay awake, so I went to the front desk to ask them to switch me to another room. Eventually, an employee played around with the circuits and got my electricity back on. The room was so hot, I turned the thermostat down as far as it would go and woke up boiling hot several times every night. I couldn't sleep with the window open because I didn't feel safe by myself. It opened to a flat roof top along with many other rooms and anyone could have accessed my room through the open window.

The breakfast was over-rated for 18E -- the scrambled eggs aren't really eggs but some powdered mix like instant mashed potatoes. The fruit and croissants were good (can't screw that up, right?). For dinner, they don't have a restaurant -- there's a very small bar menu and the service is very inconsistent. One night it was good, one night I had to sit with an empty glass for 1/2 and hour before the staff noticed I needed another and the only reason it was noticed is because I walked over to the bar and asked for another -- and this is when only five other patrons are in the bar!

The bathroom was clean but the shower leaks onto the floor and you have to use all your towels to mop up after using the shower. You have to fight with your shower curtain not to blow against and stick to your body while you're in the shower. There were no ammenities like shampoo, lotion, etc, NONE. The TV has a mind of it's own and the picture turns off when it thinks it's been on too long and all you get is sound. I was really disappointed with the staff, service, menu offerings, the condition of the hotel outside of the lobby and the room which was old, small, hot and worn-down. There's no way I would stay here again and am going to tell my company to stop sending us here. I would be interested in checking out the Aviatic Hotel, down the street, which looked very French, same great location and way better accommodations for the money. I'm going back to Paris soon and am not staying here. By the way, it isn't even in St. Germaine Des Pres, it in the Montparnasse area (5 min walk to Blvd Montparnasse, 15 min walk to Gare Montparnasse); yet another misrepresentation made on their website.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business