“A 5 minute walk from Montparnasse”

Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres
Ranked #542 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed March 2, 2014

For my third week in Paris I had to move to another hotel. The Holiday Inn was it for the final six days. It could possibly be one of the more modern properties I have stayed in Europe. Everything about it looked like it was new or recently finished. So a definite plus for that. I did not have any maintenance issues in the room.

Another plus for the Holiday Inn was the location. Montparnasse has plenty of options for dining. It is also close to a major train station and several metro stops.

I got to the room and I immediately thought the size of the room may be an issue. This could definitely be compounded if it is more than two people or if you have a few pieces of luggage. As a good general piece of advice consider how long you will be staying and how much luggage you carry. For me it felt a little cramped and it was just one person.

Another issue with the room was the closet. The way the rack for the hangers was placed was not the most convenient one. You practically had to arrange your clothes in the order you were going to wear them.

They had a breakfast option available and in terms of cost it was possible if you absolutely had to take it. In my case I passed on it since I would have to take the breakfast option for the whole six days I was going to be there. I only wanted it for three days but management said it was for the entire stay or no breakfast at all. Who knows maybe they have other travel packages during the different seasons.

Overall I think it is a good place to stay if you are only there for the short term.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Chillinathtown,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Cozy, comfortable, contemporary rooms in a great location. The only complaint came from my mom and aunt who had a room behind a door that led to two rooms (so that a family could book both rooms and essentially have a two-bedroom suite). When their neighbors would walk in and out, the noise of slamming doors startled them awake, making them think someone was coming into their room.

Actually, they had one other issue with their stand-in shower. The water would leak all over the bathroom floor. We did not have either problem because we had a regular room off the hallway and a tub shower.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sabourin_J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.
It is very important to have your feedback on your stay in our property.

Your comments well be forwared to all the staff.

We hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Brand for your future travel needs.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The hotel is located in a convenient location, close to the metro station. The room is confortable and spacious. The only smal problem I found was with the water, after showering some water was on the floor. Breakfast is average, not so many choices but good, with croissant, baguette, ham, cheese, egg&bacon... Definetly a place to reccomend

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank natanBologna

Thanks for taking the time.

Glad you are such an ambassador for Holiday Inn Paris Saint Germain des Prés, as we know when travelling to a city such as Paris, most guests at leisure want a memorable time above all.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel was situated near 2 metro stations and so was handy to get to from the Eurostar. The staff were friendly and the room was spotless. It's a short walk to St Germain de pres with many restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie B

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I had booked the hotel on the internet for the" Maison &Object" expo period in Paris (25 Jan). At the time I was quoted about E 270 pn incl Breakfast ,which after looking at the pictures of an apparently newly renovated hotel, I accepted.
When I got there the hotel was showing prices of E150 for a normal room and E 250 for an "executive deluxe room". This option had not been shown on the internet and when I then requested to rather take a normal room, I was told it was not possible. So much for getting good rates on the internet, in fact they told me that their internet rates were always higher - what rubbish.

Anyhow, I did not feel like arguing, so I said fine to my now "executive deluxe room". This turned out to be a room to small to swing a cat in (about 24sqm), with a shower that sprayed everywhere, a cupboard just big enough to house a few jackets and a slanted ceiling,which I hit my head against when getting out of bed at night.

Now I stay in many hotels all over the world and the price was a rip off. The breakfast is very average with little choices, the staff are sometimes able and friendly and other times rather indifferent and useless.The hallways and rooms are already tacky and it is clearly visible that the Hotel has tried to do the renovation on the cheap.

To really top things off, the "free" internet turned out to 1hr per day with max 500 MB and would not log on 1/2 the time. The reception could not help, since it is outsourced. Really ???

So would I suggest you stay there ? Unless you pay no more than E150, you are in a good position, although it is still a good 1/2 walk to the centre of Saint Germain, sorry but I would NOT RECOMMEND IT at all...

I was very disappointed and in fact moved to another hotel, the new 123 Sebastopol, which is a bit further off, but still close to metro and within walking distance to the Le Marais shopping paradise. This Hotel is extremely hip, brand new, good food, complimentary drinks, coffee, mini bar etc and the staff were always knowledgable and happy to help. On top of it it was cheaper too.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank mfuchs62
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear mfuchs62,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 24, 2014

First time to Paris. The hotel was clean with a helpful friendly staff. Rooms/bathrooms are small but modern and work fine. To be clear - this is no Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt etc. but at the price it was great.

Location to the #4 Metro Line (St.Placide), and the #12 line (Rennes) was a real bonus. If I come back to Paris would I stay here again? If I'm on a budget, say with the kids, absolutely.

Several fun restaurants close by. And the walk up to St. Germain De Pres is short with lots of stores and restaurants too.

Car noise on the street adjacent is a little loud sometimes but typical of all Parisian hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jcbrad

It is much appreciated that you share your guest experience for you and following a recent business visit.

We are most happy that you were pleased and considered it a very successful trip. That you felt welcomed and made to feel at home is of most importance to us.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was our first trip to Europe. Paris was a must for our first trip, and we were looking for location and cleanliness on a budget above all else. If that is what you seek, this is your spot.

This hotel works really well depending on your expectations and is GREAT VALUE for what it is and where you are.

The hotel and rooms are small and unassuming. If you are seeking a "big room" then stop reading. This is not your spot. The room is adequate for three (I traveled with my wife and son.) The bed was comfortable. The rooms hand enough space for your things and were quiet. They are a touch dark, but nothing you wont get used to within a night. The bathroom is where you may run into some trouble. The frosted door is a bit strange, and it leaves little to the imagination — so you need to be mindful of that as you shower and change. The shower is in the middle of the bathroom space, with shower curtain. Again — its not a separate tub, or perhaps what you are used to at home, but for a quick shower, and out to the city its fine. Overall its comfortable.

The real advantage to this hotel is the location — especially if you are going to take in the flavor, sites and sounds of the city — because with this hotel you can AND SHOULD walk. It was easy to walk to all kinds of the great cities wonderful attractions.

The Seine is a nice stroll of about 15-20 minutes. Along the way you will come very close to St. Suplice and The Church at St. Germain Des Pres. Stop in for an amazing meal at Les Deux Maggots. We made the walk from the Hotel, through the Luxembourg Gardens to the Pantheon, then onto Notre Dame, St. Chapel and back. Another day we walk to Les Invalides. We had a car take us to the Louvre, but really we could have walked it as well. These are healthy treks, but you really soak in the wonders of Paris along the way — and I recommend it. You will need either the Metro or a car ride to get to Versailles and Montmartre/Sacre Coure.

Breakfast in the hotel is a quite pricey (18 euro p.p.) There are cafe's EVERYWHERE right by the hotel where you can have a fresh and amazing simple breakfast and enjoy the people as they are off to begin the day.

The AC is not going to be blowing cold cold air in the rooms like in the states. Expect things to be a bit warmer, but you will be comfortable. (I like it cold in the room, so if I am saying you'll be ok... you should be fine... ;-)

We never had an issue with the staff. We never had a language issue. They always offered their assistance when we needed something from needing to find a drug store for a sun burn I got, to getting us extra towels. When we needed a taxi to greet us at the airport, the hotel arranged it, and arranged one to take us back to the hotel. They also had no problem helping us to get to St. Lazare station for a 6am train ride to Normandy (highly recommended).

The furnishings are modern, and the hotel clearly was renovated not to long ago.

This is NOT the Georges V. If you go there expecting that, you will end up writing a disappointing review. But this is a GREAT spot, gives you a real feel for Paris, is clean, and the staff was very nice and they all spoke english. (By the way — we did not have a single solitary issue with language at the hotel, or any of the restaurants in the area)

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for/book a room that fits your family/group. If you are a family of 4 and you don...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family