“Great location”

Crowne Plaza Paris Republique
Ranked #600 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I actually stayed here in June of 2012, but the review profile wouldn't let me go back that far...anyway, it feels like just yesterday! I stayed here with my mother, sister, and two family friends where we all had rooms near each other. This is an awesome location if you're trying to see the whole city. It's very central and their front desk offered great customer service, particularly to Americans who did not speak any French:)

One night, there was an event going on in one of the ballrooms and it was a bit noisy, but seemed like a lot of fun. There were also some homeless folks in the alleyway behind the building, but sadly I suppose that is to be expected in any major city.

I would recommend this hotel if you have never been to Paris and want to cover a lot of ground. If you're going to do the hop-on/hop-off bus, I would caution you to go with the red label company and NOT the green one. It didn't stop nearly enough and we wound up wasting precious Paris moments (and about 90 euros total) waiting on a bus! We found the Metro to be much faster and easy to navigate.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Samantha D
Customer S, Customer S at Crowne Plaza Paris Republique, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Samantha D,

It is with great interest that we read your review.
Thank you for your preference and loyalty towards the Crowne Plaza Paris République and for your recommendations for our future clients.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our staff will do his outmost to improve more and more every day.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back and providing you with the very best of our hospitality.

Crowne Plaza Paris République

Write a ReviewReviews (2,680)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Considering we were there during the renovations of the republique square (june 2013) our stay was quiet and comfortable. The staff were very helpful and spoke very good English. This hotel is located directly above the metro which has three different lines making it very easy to get around Paris. Also, able to get to airport by train was very quick and easy and was only 10euro each. Plenty of restaurants and cafes, with boulongeries a short walking distance from the hotel. Rooms clean and comfortable. Breakfast had their chef cooking eggs and pancakes to your liking. Plenty of food to choose. The only thing missing in this hotel is the free wi-fi in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear VMyt,

We like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Paris République. Feedback like yours greatly assist us to improve the quality of our services and products where our guest’s feel it is necessary.

The inauguration of the Place de la République has been celebrated (mid-June ), we don’t know if it was really finished or not when you stayed in our hotel but you’ve probably already seen the re-newed Place which will encourage people to walk, shop and meet, but it will also greatly improve the comfort and tranquility of the hotel.

We are fortunate to be a city centre hotel, which is conveniently located (Metro station: République) for local attractions, shopping areas and very close to the two main train stations Gare de l’Est and Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar arrives.

It is with great pleasure that we read that you liked the cleanliness of your comfortable room and the large choice of breakfast food, and we apologize that our wifi service is not free of charge.

We hope that you will continue to trust us during your next stay in Paris and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 8, 2013

They've just completed renovations on La Place de la République, making this spot a very lively one in Paris, at all times of the day. It is lovely. The hotel is perfectly situated to allow you to walk the town easily, or if you prefer, you are at the crossroads of three metro lines just a few steps away. Location, as I already mentioned, is perfect! The amenities are up to par, I would expect nothing less for the cost. The staff is amazing. I did NOT try the food: much too pricy for my taste when the cafés a few steps away are half the price.

I would go back there without hesitation.

Room Tip: Go for the garden rooms: quieter and very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Customer S, Customer S at Crowne Plaza Paris Republique, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear MaBzilla,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your great comment with us. We are happy that you spend an excellent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Paris République ! Your comments are very important to us, as they assist us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are proud that we were able to fulfill all your needs and we are glad that you spent an excellent business stay with us while you were in Paris.

As you wrote: “ they’ve just completed renovations on La Place de la République, making this spot a very lively one in Paris, at all times of the day ! “which will encourage people to walk, shop and meet, but it will also greatly improve the comfort and tranquility of the hotel

Thank you for your compliments about our staff who appreciates very much your kind words.
The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back and providing you again with the very best of our hospitality.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Let's face it. Place de la republique is not a quiet place. Under the plaza there is 5 metro lines, which is what makes the hotel great, but also the same reason that makes the hotel a bit unbearable from time to time. They had a free concert today from 1PM to 11PM which I had a great time hanging out.

The rate was extremely good this time, for just the week before Bastille day. It's a peak season and I was surprised when my travel agent showed me the price.

Good part is, this hotel is really convinient for me - I enjoy staying in the city, but my business place is Pantin, which is another township just outside of Paris. The station got line 5 which is direct.

Like a lot of hotel in Paris, the room is just a room, there's no much you can say about it, they are on the small side but I find it sufficient for even 2 people. I travel by myself, so it's a good size.

Thru the years, I've stayed in different kind of rooms, but I always request a room that is not with a view. Republique is a busy area and for a few years it was under renovation. The renovation had finished, however it is also a place for free concerts in the summer, or other activities. I've been to the city enough times, to me, it's just a view, not something to write home about. I think the court facing rooms are reserved for their loyal members, and I usually get the room that facing a small "court" or the back street, which is quieter. If a little bit of noise is not a problem that I would suggest the room facing the back street, as you have ceiling to floor window.

Service wise, I've read a lot of reviews saying the stuff could be rude. I tend to agree with that - however, I disagree it was their intention to be rude - it's just a mentality of Parisian. To Parisians, that kind of expression was just as a statement, as it is. To give you an example of what happen today - I checked in today and asked for a quiet room, the receptionist gave me 2 options, and then I took the 2nd one. And then she checked her computer and gave me a 3rd, but much better option however I would need to wait maybe 30 minutes so the room can get ready. Well, I told her I would go for lunch instead. And while she was sorting out my key, she also made a phone call to housekeeping and immediately informed me that the room is ready and I can bring myself up. Well, the difference here is that in Amercia or Asia, I would probably hear a lot of please, or Sir. Well, not much here. My understanding is that she didn't treat me as a superior, but a peer, which I am glad to be.

Wifi however is a slight problem. They charge 2 euro per hour (I think these are for tourists who don't use internet intensely), I take the 20 euro for 48 hour option. However, most of the hotel I've checked in allow me to buy it once and then log into 4 or 5 devices at the same time. Here they told me 3 devices maxium and I can't log in the internet at the same time on the difference devices.

Room Tip: Always take a room without a view. There's enough breath taking things in the city already. On...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Customer S, Customer S at Crowne Plaza Paris Republique, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear KSh77,

It is with pleasure that we read that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Paris République and especially the location even if you were here for business!

We would like to thank you for writing such a review explaining your felt ( and French relationship); for your precious time to share your experience with our future clients and we appreciate your kind words.

Effectively, the inauguration of the Place de la République has been celebrated mid-june and the re-newed Place will encourage people to walk, shop and meet, but it will also greatly improve the comfort and tranquility of the hotel!

Also, sorry for your bad experience with wifi but with our new wifi system ( launched in May), we propose a variety of different rates starting from 2 € onwards in order to better meet all of our clients’ needs. And sorry for misunderstanding on devices question (can't log in the internet at the same time on the difference devices.)

The entire team can’t wait to welcome you back.
Please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team and let us know in advance, if there is anything we can assist you with.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this property for three nights in June 2013 while on vacation. The hotel was selected by my travel agent

The property is situated on a newly refurbished public plaza. It is a bustling hub of activity for locals. The immediate area is flush with restaurants and cafes and appears to be very safe. Walking more than a few blocks from the hotel one does not feel as safe.

The hotel is housed within an 18th century building and is most attractive. Built in a square, it features a center courtyard that was mostly unused during my stay.

Arriving in Paris early in the morning from the US, I found my room unavailable. When it was prepared I found check-in staff to be polite and efficient. The lobby area was clean, attractive and staff members were helpful. Elevator cabs were clean, neat and rarely was there a wait for service.

Interior hallways were where problems began. Simply put, they are dirty and the often do not smell the best. The largest concern here is with the condition of the carpeting. It is old, worn, dirty and needs replaced. Upkeep on carpeting above the first floor is, at best, poor.

I was sold a "Club Room" which had a bed, desk and a separate sitting area with a couch and chair. By European standards it was very roomy and, excepting the carpet, was clean and well maintained. I had no desire to walk on the carpeting without shoes. It was simply too dirty.

Bedding was as expected at this price point and bath amenities were of good quality. Daily housekeeping service was good and when additional supplies were needed they were delivered promptly.

I took advantage of the breakfast buffet during my stay. I found it to be very good. It featured a mix of traditional american and european items and service was most attentive. An egg/omelette station was a nice touch.

When my stay was complete check-out was quick and efficient. I was thanked for my business and invited back.

To be clear, this is not a four star hotel. I would give it a 3.30. Better than most, but not quite where it should be. If the interior hallways and sleeping rooms were maintained like the lobby area and dining room, it would be much improved. Simply investing some dollars in carpet cleaning or replacement would work wonders for improving the hotel.

Would I stay there again? Maybe. But to do so I would need some assurances on cleanliness of the areas in question.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms are quieter than those facing the street. Request one when reserving.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cburley
Customer S, Customer S at Crowne Plaza Paris Republique, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear cburley,

It is with great interest that we read your long and constructive review. We appreciate very much that you took time and you shared your great experience about your stay with us .

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we are glad to learn that our facilities and services were up to your expectations ( location, building, breakfast, cleanliness and well maintained items…) The entire team is proud that your stay was a success ! Your comments are extremely valuable to us and they motivate us to continue to improve our services and to create lifetime memories.

As you noticed we need to invest in carpet, and it is what we’ll do in priority. Before end of winter, a good part of the hotel will have its carpet changed.

Thank you for your compliments about our polite and helpful staff who appreciates very much your kind words.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the Crown Plaza Paris as part of a Travelmarvel tour
location ok breakfasts above average rooms small , dated and the air conditioning is poor , attempts to have it seen to by staff were a waste of time
If you were here in the middle of summer it would not be a pleasant experience
Staff generally friendly multi lingual
Over priced for the quality of the hotel
A hotel in this price range you would expect free wifi but you have to pay

Room Tip: Better hotels on the rim of Paris and the city sites are easy to access by metro and Taxi
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Peter V,

We thank you for your comment and we regret to read that we were not able to meet all your expectations during your stay.

We are happy you enjoyed our great location with its access to the Metro Station : République which is being served by 5 major metro lines and which is made for fast travel to tourist spots around the city.
The entire hotel is equipped with a heating/cooling system and the base temperature of the hotel is adapted to the season ( and external temperature).
We are very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the Internet rates. we propose a variety of different rates starting from 2 € onwards in order to better meet all of our clients’ needs. Our prices ( for rooms and other) are regularly benchmarked against similar outlets in the neighborhood of the same standing.

Every day our staff works really hard at trying to accommodate all the needs of our clients. We also put in place corrective actions for improving our services where our guests feel it is necessary .

We hope that you will chose the Crowne Plaza Paris République for your next stay and that we will be able to welcome you back to make you change your point of view.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

As an Intercontinental Ambassador, I stayed in a lot of Holiday Inns, Crowne Plaza's and Intercontinental Hotels but the Intercontinental was sold out so I settled for the Crowne Plaza Paris-Republique. This hotel is definitely below the standards of any Crowne Plaza. I paid a very high price for a "club room" and their "club" program is a joke. The club lounge is a small room and they serve beer, wine and cold snacks from 6:00 to 8:00 during their happy hour. This is NOTHING like any other Crowne Plaza hotel I have ever stayed where hot hor d’oeuvres are served along with beer, wine and cocktails. Not here. If you are person that pays for club services, this is not the hotel to enjoy a club lounge. Even the club rooms were nothing like other Crowne Plazas. They were small and poorly appointed.
I needed a power adapter to charge a laptop and was told at the front desk they are $10 Euros to buy. Wait a minute...am I at a Crowne Plaza or a Motel 6. What is the problem here? You want to sell me an adapter to convert a USA plug to a European plug? So I tell them that the only USA type plug in the room does not work and they send a technician to check it. The technician walks into the room and says, "these plugs don't work in ANY of the rooms". Finally, the girl at the counter provides an adapter at no charge.
I called the Ambassador Customer Service department in the USA and told them the situation. They were very understanding and said the general manager of the hotel would call to discuss my concerns. We stayed an additional 30 hours and no one called. They just didn’t care about customer satisfaction. So much for the ITC 100% satisfaction guarantee.
We checked out a day early and moved to a Holiday Inn close to Charles De Gaulle Airport. It has a full service hotel that offered 10 times the quality and service of the Crowne Plaza in Paris. The breakfast was good and the little town of Roissy, which is within walking distance, was charming and had wonderful restaurants. I wish we had stayed here all of our nights in Paris. It was a third of the price of the Crowne Plaza and it would have been worth the train ride into Paris to see the sights.
I advise anyone looking for a hotel in Paris to look long and hard before choosing the Crowne Plaza Paris-Republique.

Room Tip: Not this hotel if you are expecting a normal Crowne Plaza experience.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank asiatraveler57

Dear asiatraveler57,

We are very sorry to read your remark via Tripadvisor.
What you described is not at all the level of service we strive to offer to our guests and we would like to let you know that all our staff is trained to best meet the requirements of all our customers.

Our Duty Manager came to see you during your stay at our hotel and she is the one who decided to offer you the adaptor to obtain your satisfaction and to apologize about the plug.
At that time, we would have been very happy to speak with you in person about Club Lounge facilities and we could have provided you with appropriate solutions regarding your concerns.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly via email at cpparis@whgeu.com .
The entire team looks forward to assisting you with any requests or inquiries you may have.