“Enjoyed it very much! Excellent and friendly service. Super location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Left Bank Saint Germain

Left Bank Saint Germain
Ranked #238 of 1,810 Hotels in Paris
Zurich, Switzerland
“Enjoyed it very much! Excellent and friendly service. Super location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've been to Paris on several occasions; this was my first time staying at this hotel. Normally, I don't write reviews, but we liked this place a lot.

The location is perfect, right near Boulevard Saint-Germain, Place Saint-Michel, the Odeon Metro stop, famous brasseries and cafes, as well as moderately priced ones, all within walking distance.

We stayed here for a week in mid-February and were extremely pleased with just about everything.

We were in Room 405, a standard double room, away from the street, facing the back, which we had requested; we slept like logs. We had a partial view of Notre Dame, also requested, and paid a special reduced price by booking well in advance. Yes, the room was not very big, but the bathroom was fine and clean. And this IS Paris......and on the hip Left Bank.

We found Lorette and Fanny very friendly and especially helpful; the night staff was pleasant, too. All were very courteous to us.

It didn't matter what we asked for, Lorette and Fanny had an answer for everything.
Need directions on how to get somewhere on the Metro or RER: ask Lorette or Fanny.
Need a suggestion for moderately priced restaurants nearby: ask Lorette or Fanny. They know many; they also willingly called and made reservations for us......no problem.
Need a suggestion for a nice brunch: ask Lorette or Fanny.
Need to know how to walk to this place or that place: ask Lorette or Fanny.
Need to know how to get to Versailles: ask Lorette or Fanny.

On a cold day, we came back to the hotel and Lorette offered us tea; we were not charged for it. The next day was also quite cold: this time, the tea service was waiting for us in our room. No charge.

We thought the breakfast buffet was very good; for 12 euros it would be hard to find something comparable nearby. This IS Paris and the Left Bank location is not cheap. If you want cheap, you'll probably have to stay somewhere less hip....and will probably get "cheap."

The hotel also arranged the airport shuttle for us on arrival, with hardly any advance notice; it worked quite well. Going back to the airport was the same. No problem. So what if you first have to drop off a couple of people on the way in from the airport; we were brought right up to the hotel. The return shuttle was fine, too. And both trips were moderately priced.....Remember: this IS Paris, so it's not going to be cheap and a taxi is always going to be expensive.

All in all, we can surely recommend this hotel. We've both been to Paris before -- on business and for pleasure -- and would stay at this hotel again......and probably will on our next trip....

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are very quiet. Ask for a room with a view of Notre Dame, if available.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Croton on Hudson, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I planned a trip to Paris for February, and booked a room for 3 nights. I went with the nonrefundable discounted rate, and paid for all 3 nights up front. I was well aware that the rate was nonrefundable. My father passed away unexpectedly, and I had to cancel the trip. I planned to reschedule the trip for March. I contacted the hotel, explained my father's passing, and asked if I could apply the money to a stay in March and that I wasn't asking for a refund. Lorette responded, said nothing about my father's passing, and stated they could not apply the money at all because of different rates and being full in March. However, rooms were available in March and of course I offered to pay the difference for the new reservation. I find this to be very distasteful and poor customer service. There is clearly no reason why they couldn't apply the money to a new reservation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank gregfucheck
stephaneteil, Directrice at Left Bank Saint Germain, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Sir ,
We have taken into account your comment about our hotel. As we already told you, we understand your disappointment to have chosen a preferential rate non cancellable and non-refundable while you couldn’t be able to stay with us. Unfortunately this rate is cheaply because it’s not refundable and it’s a risk that you took. The conditions are written in the title of the rate, repeated twice before the end of the booking and also in the booking confirmation. We do have never forced you to book this rate. We don’t understand your virulence against our hotel. Customers who take the risk and can not come for family or professional reasons contact us by phone or email to confirm they will not come and understand the cancellation policy without making a scandal .
We are sorry that your experience of our hotel is limited to this .We hope anyway that this explanation will make you forget your dissatisfaction and we hope to welcome you in the future .
Best regards .
Mrs Fanny Desquesnes .
The manager .
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband surprised me with a quick trip to Paris for the New Year, I was speachless! We always enjoy staying at the smaller boutique style hotels and were not dissappointed with our choice for the first two nights in Paris before we went to visit friends near Auxerre.
Having arrived early in the morning, they kindly stored our bags while we went off for breakfast and then to view the Christmas Windows. When we returned our room was ready and I have to say we were delighted with what we found. The room was clean and well set out, the bed was comfortable, and we had a street outlook which was delightful. The complimentary WiFi is always a plus in this age as well.
Of course, the location is fantastic. The metro is only a minute away providing easy access to this beautiful city, you don't have to go far to find a wonderful meal, and the amazing boutiques are hard to pass by.
We chose to eat breakfast at the hotel, and the choice for this style of hotel was wonderful. There was a selection of pastries and breads for toast, preserves, cold cuts, cheeses, fresh fruit salad, Yoghurt, boiled eggs, juice, tea, coffee etc.
My husband was a little anxious about booking a taxi to take us to the railway station on the morning that we left but we were assured that it was not necessary given it was Sunday morning, and true to his word, the gentleman on the front desk had it booked and out the front before we had even paid our bill.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie M
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hotel Left Bank – St. Germain is the quintessential boutique, Parisian hotel. I stayed in Hotel Left Bank this past December with my family and it was fantastic! I stayed in two different rooms during my visit to Paris. The first room was with my parents and one of my sisters while we waited for my other sister to arrive the next day. The second room was with only my two sisters while my parents stayed in an adjacent room. Both rooms I stayed in and my parent’s room were small but I was told if you wanted a boutique hotel the rooms were going to be small. Although, the bathrooms were very spacious, clean, and had a modern feel to them. The room I was in on the first night was on the same floor as the lobby but was still very quiet and peaceful although many people were walking through the lobby. The second room was also very quiet and peaceful which allowed for a pleasant stay. Although my second room was in the back of the hotel and our view was into a well (with a nice garden I might add), my parent’s room had a great view of the streets of St. Germain. This hotel could not have been in a better location. If you walk out of the hotel and turn left you will end up on the busy Boulevard St. Germain with clothing stores and restaurants while if you turn right you will end up in the heart of St. Germain. This part of Paris was filled with cafes, shops, creperies, and bakeries, many of them being right near the hotel. The hotel was also a very short distance from the famous Les Deux Magots, often visited by Ernst Hemingway, Café de Flore, visited by Pablo Picasso, and Le Procope, the oldest restaurant in Paris. The hotel was also a very short walking distance from Notre Dame, the Louvre, Pont Neuf, the French Academy, and Pont des Arts, or the love lock bridge. The hotel was also very close to the St. Michael and Odeon metro stops, which was very helpful for travellers. St. Germain was one of my favorite parts of Paris so being able to stay in such a great hotel in such an amazing part of the city was fantastic. My stay in Paris would not have been the same if I had not stayed in this hotel. I would definitely recommend Hotel Left Bank – St. Germain to anyone visiting Paris.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary D
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Although I was only in Paris for two full days and one night, I thought I would write this review as I wanted to credit the hotel.
The Hotel Left Bank is a lovely small boutique hotel just of Rue Saint Germain. Ideally located, for all the sites, restaurants and shopping in this fashionable area.

The Staff where very helpful and the rooms where clean and well kept. A plus for all is that there is free wifi.

Would recommend this hotel for couple, family et. Great for a short break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pat F
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was looking forward to staying at the hotel and like many others I can confirm that it is ideally located in the hustle and bustle of Saint Germain. The staff were courteous and professional. There is an very fast and free Wifi throughout the hotel - a boon for those like us with phones, iPads and computers to connect.

The problem is that we really didn't luck out in the room(s) provided. We started in Room 201 which is at the front of the hotel and very small for a double. The bed was too small for me and I am a mere 5'10; two people couldn't move around the room without signaling to one another; and I defy anyone to sit on the toilet and reach the toilet roll holder, perched over the left shoulder. I am all for Bijou and romantic but this was too much for us.

After one night in the small room at the front we asked for something bigger and moved to Room 106 at the back of the hotel (at a small cost). This deluxe double room was much bigger and with full size beds. The problem here was the limited light as the Room's windows faced into a well (which had a nice Garden in it) but in mid-winter very limited natural light.

The staff at the hotel were apologetic for the Room sizes but explained that this was par for the course in Saint Germain. From other reviews it is obvious that there are better rooms than the two we stayed in. As we were primarily on business working during the day this was not as big a problem as it would have been for a holiday.

Overall with better rooms this clearly gets four or five for the location alone. But on the rooms we had its definitely average.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back for size and on a higher floor for more light.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank car_trekker
stephaneteil, Directrice at Left Bank Saint Germain, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Sir ,
Thank you to send us your comments about our hotel .
Your comments help us to improve the quality of our services
and we would like to bring some explanations:
The room 201 has a size of 16.27 m2 ,French law on 3 stars hotel require a size of 13.50 m2
for a double room for 2 people .
The room was completely renovated in 2011 and is very appreciated by our regular customers .
You were not happy and the next day we have offered a deluxe room at a great price
but you did not like this room because there was not enough natural light ... Indeed, when the weather is bad and there is no sun the room is dark with only the natural light but we changed
all lighting last year : there are 5 lights and 4 spotlights that illuminate the room very well.
Deluxe rooms are very appreciated by our customers , due to the size ( more than 24 m2 ), quiet and garden view .
Deluxe rooms become family room for 2 adults and 2 children.
We suggest you , during your next stay , the suite room ( 39.50 m2 ) which would correspond better what you are looking for.
We apologize for not being able to meet your expectations. We strive to give our customers an unforgettable experience.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel.
Best regards .
Mrs Fanny Desquesnes .
The manager
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the 4th or 5th time that I stay with my family in Lef bank St Germain. And it's great to see that the hotel is always comfortable, clean and we a helpful staff. Just take a moment to see my other reviews and it is still the same. The front desk staff - Sinan and Lorette - are very nice and helpful. Elisabeth takes care of the breakfast and is also very nice. The other lady (sorry, I don't know her name) who cleans the rooms and also replaces Elisabeth during breakfast time some days is also very helpful! The only thing I think it should be changed is the wool blankets. Too heavy! I hope they change them for nice comforters one day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family