“A perfect dinner in Paris and best taste and value”

Bistro des Gastronomes
Ranked #5,138 of 17,766 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier Latin
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife booked this little diamond of Bistro for my birthday. Without a doubt the best meal out I have ever had in Paris! We have eaten in some beautiful places over the years, but this by far exceeded all these past experiences. I cannot wait to go back again!
This exceptional traditional French cuisine, an imaginative use of seasonal ingredients and local produce. This is an intimate and warm dining experience; from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcomed. Go here, book it now!

5  Thank Michael T

Reviewed November 10, 2012

we ate here a good meal, nothing special or innovative but certainly the food was qualitative and made professionally
The atmosphere was nice and the service was polite.

11  Thank RachelTelAviv_Israel
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our waiter was delightful, very friendly and gracious. My husband and I were disappointed with our meals. Each dish was nothing better than average...we had much more elegant and well-prepared meals in less expensive restaurants with greater charm and character. The portions were miniscule and we left unsatisfied. We ended up stopping at another restaurant for crepes Grand Marnier flambee. Le Bistro des Gastronomes served us one of the three worst meals we had during our month of travel in France.

3  Thank tarnishedlace
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The only nice things I can say about the restaurant is that the staff was friendly and I liked the decoration with dark gray and red walls and rows of wine bottles.

The service, in spite of being friendly and nice, was pretty bad. There were only 2 people to work the whole room. I assumed they must have been shot staffed that night, but no, they have only 2 people on the floor on Saturday night, and it shows. We waited and waited and waited, and so did everyone else.

The first table we were seated at is the worst in the house. While one person has a view of the whole restaurant, the other is looking at a wall and the kitchen. The one with the view of the room has a plastic bin full of silverware 4 inches from his head that is constantly being rattled as tables are served and reset. No, no, no, the plastic silverware bin next to a diner's head is just not possible! We waited and were moved to the front.

We were there for the second service, and they were out of 4 items on the menu - both my first and second choices. Because the menu is quite limited (maybe 6-7 entrées and the same for the main course), that was a little disappointing. Ok, so 3rd choice for me and my dinner partner. Foie gras to begin with, it was fine, though nothing earth shattering. Then I had an unremarkable piece of fish swimming in a creamy broth, and my partner, a steak (the steak was delicious, excellent quality for the meat).

It was ok. But no different from what I might expect in a corner brasserie for lunch. For desert, I had the vanilla crème brulée, which I found too sweet and I didn't recognize the vanilla. My dining partner had what appears to be the signature lemon tart, served in a cup. It was goopy and lemony. Not bad, just... "boff"

We ordered a 50€ bottle of Pauillac that was on par with the rest, it seemed tart and "green".

So yes, retty big disappointment for a 110€ check.

Icing on the cake, my dinner partner was quite sick this morning :( and after "getting it all out" seems to be feeling better. Not sure if there's a direct link, but...

I'm not saying don't try this place out, with all the great reviews, it must be great sometimes. But DON'T go on the weekends!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We recently went twice to this neighborhood restaurant. The choices do not change often but there is a variety of offerings so even if you return within one week, you won't suffer for lack of new dishes. The crème brulée is one of the best we've had in our many trips to France. Many dishes include wild mushrooms and are very well combined with snails, pork, duck, adding flavor but not overwhelming. Quiet atmosphere, loved the hangars for jackets incorporated into the wall. Do call for reservations if it's a weekend.

13  Thank jardinage45