“Insanely overpriced, sub-par service, terrible customer service”

Le Germain & Club Paradisio
Ranked #10,021 of 18,471 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2012

What a terrible place! Tourists and locals stay away.
Though this is a Costes property don't expect the legendary service, customer service and quality of food that has made the Costes reputation.

(1) Wait time: insane! Arrived at 8.30pm on Sunday night (light crowd). Got our first dish at 9.45pm! Decided to avoid taking any dessert to be able to go to bed before midnight

(2) Food quality: just average. My prawns were undercooked (raw in places), which is a wonder considering the fact I had to wait for 1h to get them!

(3) Pricing: insane. 30 euros for FOUR undercooked prawns (approx. $45!), 18 euros ($25) for a small portion of average guacamole

(4) The owner/manager is obnoxious and so arrogant I can understand why my American friends think all Parisians are snobish and arrogant

(5) Table staff: nice but prety slow

Verdict: STAY AWAY! There are tons of nice little quaint places around.

3  Thank vorsoni

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We booked this after reading of it in 'Time Out in Paris'. It is certainly a very trendy place to be seen and it has a nice buzz to it too, with great music playing. If you're looking for a fun evening, it probably hits the mark, however if youre looking for great food or good value for money it falls short.

Our starters were good (my wife said hers lacked seasoning though); I had an egg veloute in a pot which was good. Spring roll was OK but vastly overpriced for what it was. Steak main course was good, but the truffle ravioli was very dissapointing; just a creamy (heavy) sauce with a light taste of truffle. The wine was good, but again, V Expensive. At €220 for a meal for 2 adults and 2 children I expected something better.

Having said that, our teenage daughters really enjoyed it as they valued the atmosphere at least as highly as the food.

1  Thank stuartAnthony
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We went here on the offchance as we wanted to eat before catching the 9:13 train back to London and not many Parisian eateries open early enough to cater for this. All we wanted was decent food in a stylish setting - and this is what we got. The food was enjoyable. I started with Oeuf Parfait which I found most enjoyable) followed by a tasty burger with the longest chips I have ever seen (also very tasty according to my wife!). The staff were extremely polite and we both enjoyed the decor - including the gorilla in the antechamber outside the toilets.
One bonus was sitting at the front of the restaurant we could quite happily indulge in some people watching as we ate.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have to say I disagree with the other reviews!
I went on Saturday night to Cafe Germain with my partner after it was recommended by a few separate sources (including our very reputable hotel) and I was not disappointed!
The restaurant was filled out completely by around 8.30 but service remained good.
Food was excellent- beautiful steak and wine and the atmosphere was great.

I would definitely recommend! It has the vibe of a London restaurant which served as a nice break from the traditional Parisian scene.

1  Thank cw382
Reviewed March 3, 2012

On the positive side, the music is cool, decor is chic and this is a place to be seen. That's about where the positives end. Service is anything but polite or attentive. Having spilled oil on the chair and my trousers, the waitress failed to acknowledge or apologise (she seemed ambivalent at all times) and needed two reminders before she brought extra napkins. Food was average at best, prices on the high side. If you want somewhere to see and be seen, this could be for you, otherwise best to avoid....

1  Thank wishty