“Exactly what you expect”
Review of Reims Hotel

Reims Hotel
Ranked #1,075 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Room Tip: Air conditiong. Put glasses in the room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The first night in Paris, we stayed in this hotel. It was an amazingly cute and small unit but they had a pretty backyard. It was conveniently located along the stretch of shops selling food and groceries. The room was also kept clean and comfortable.
Would love to go back again!

zsiti.com

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank thecrazyindians
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel through late rooms as I was just looking for somewhere to lay my head for a few nights after sightseeing. I was not expecting much for a 2 star property in a 'non touristy' area of Paris but I was pleasantly surprised.

I got the train and metro from CDG through to Stalingrad which was easy enough. Depending on which exit you take from the metro it may get a little confusing to find the hotel, so best to take a print from Google maps. Once you know where your going it's just a simple walk and really easy to find the hotel.

First impressions of the area aren't the greatest. I can see why some people may find it a little intimidating but we didn't encounter any trouble at all and I definitely wouldn't let it put you off booking the hotel. Close to the hotel there are a few small bars, a few bakery's and restaurants and numerous kebab shops. There is also a good supermarket more or less across the road from the hotel which sells quite a good range at reasonable prices. I believe this is open 9am until 9pm.

We arrived at the hotel before check in but our room was already ready for us even before midday. The lady at check in spoke good English and was very friendly and helpful. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the outside of the hotel is nothing to look at, but once entering the reception everywhere is clean and modern.

I stayed in room 122 which was meant to be a superior double room. I'm not sure if it was a superior room as I didn't see the other rooms that were available. Also the bed wasn't a double bed instead it was a twin but I was fine with it. The bedroom was really clean and the bed was really comfortable to me. The bathroom was perfectly fine with plenty of hot water. A few small things couple do with being updated like the toilet seat as it was quite damaged, but overall it was better than expected. The bedroom had a dressing table and a wardrobe and I also had bedside lamps! There wasn't much room to move around the bedroom but it did us fine. The room also had plenty of power sockets and 2 large mirrors. If you are concerned about little luxuries, our room only had a pot of shower gel (not even a small hand soap) and it did not have a hair dryer. The towels provided were of a good standard though!

Through late rooms I requested a quiet room as I am a light sleeper and an early riser. I don't believe this request was met as my room was facing the front of the hotel and this overlooks a local 'park' and people seem to gather there pretty much 24 hours a day playing music and socialising (I even went out for some air about 5.45am and some people were still out there from the night before!) this meant there was a fair bit of noise and if you're a light sleeper like me you may struggle to sleep. I definitely couldn't have the window open and it was a warm weekend (30 degrees) so I struggled to sleep with no fan or air con.

Upon arriving at the hotel I booked to have the breakfast as looking around, 8 euro seemed quite cheap. Most cafés charge this to sit down and eat one coffee and coissant! The breakfast was open at 7am and was great quality. The orange juice from the machine actually tasted like orange juice, not watered down like some hotels often offer. There were 3 cereals, 2 pastry items, baguette, cheese blocks, jams, Nutella, yoghurts and a hot drinks machine.

All staff I met were really friendly and helpful and spoke English quite well. I am sure if I had any problems they would've tried their best to solve them.

Overall I would stay in this hotel again if I returned to Paris. The hotel was great for the price I paid (around £150 for 2 people for 2 nights). The area wasn't fantastic but don't let that put you off as I don't think it was dangerous, just intimidating. The location of the metro was very close to the hotel and was great for sightseeing in Paris.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The hotel has two buildings, to get to the back building you need to cross a little courtyard. This means that it is nice and quiet: i could not hear any street noise. The rooms are simple (no pictures on the wall, no bedside lamp). The room was fairly large by Paris standard and clean. The bathroom has no shelf to put your stuff and nowhere to hang the towel!? You can hear the floor boards when someone walks in another room, but there are only 2 rooms per floor in the back building, so not a big problem. Not sure it is better than a budget hotel, so you might want to select it if you want to be close to the Gare de L'Est.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Smiley_Vienna
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Room Tip: Make friends with manager. Phone service was non existent. No calls or out. Was a good location to t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert H
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I booked this place in a hurry via booking.com and also after reading the reviews on this site too, I had to be in the area at short notice for work over a weekend, so it was ideally placed and reasonably priced. It's an average hotel, I am not sure what their star rating is officially but I would give it 2 star rating.

First appearances could be better, it doesnt have high curb appeal with its front window external blind being covered in an unhealthy dose of pigeon droppings, and also being on a road where there are kebab shops and many others selling African veg and fruits, the area seems to be populated with the many French/African ex colony community. The room I stayed in was very small and sparsley furnished, although it was spotlessly clean, there was what passed for a curtain covering the window, the bed was extremely comfortable and with my room being at the back of the hotel I did have a couple of nights of very good sleep.

The view from the room was of the back of other buildings and a lot of litter scattered on the flat roof. The toilet & shower room was also clean, but the fit and finish looked like it was a project that someones uncle had helped them to fit and tile over a weekend, using left over 1980's sanitary ware & shower screen. The toilet blocked once, nothing new there really in my experience with French sewage systems. There WAS a hairdryer in the room i stayed in and when I overheard a lady asking for one at reception she was told they were all being used, so being a chivalrous gentleman I went to my room and gave her mine.

There was wifi included in the room rate and this worked well, there is a lift too, with a cracked mirror, the staircase was interesting and made you feel a little drunk if you didn't watch where you were going, and the handrail was hanging off the wall and had been 'stuck' back on to the wall with what looked like bathroom sealer.

This place is very well located being close to the metro stop of Stalingrad only 5 mins walk when turning left out of the hotel & straight up the street. Stalingrad is within zone 1 of central Paris with access to lines 2, 5 & 7, although some of these lines are also accessed by another entrance on a different street (they are all linked by underground tunnels) Just be aware that when returning to the station on a different line than the one you departed on that you may not come up into the street where you think you will.

There is a very well stocked small supemarche just across from the hotel, and they sell beers wines soft drinks and snacks etc.

I drove here, and it was easy to find and not far from the peripherique, although the streets were gridlocked with traffic and people trying to get to an event at the Stade de France stadium on a Saturday afternoon. I parked a fairly decent new English registered car on the side street for two nights which is free over weekends, and it came to no harm. Gare du Nord is a 15 minute walk from the hotel, and there is secure parking there at 37 Euros for a 24 hour period, the on street parking has a max stay of 2 hours and charges apply from 09:00 am to 19:00 pm for about 2.50 euros an hour I think, but its free overnight if you can find a space, beware of Parisien parking techniques though, they have no qualms or shame about bumping other parked cars when getting into or out of a tight parking space.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, my French is basic, but was not required as everyone at reception spoke very good English. Brekfast is not included in the room rate, and when I booked it was quoted as 6 Euros per night, but when checking in I was told that it was actually 8 euros, and when checking out I realsied that this did obviously not include any taxes ! Breakfast is pretty basic with croissants and cereal, and orange or multi vitamin juice, there is a good coffee machine with hot choc, latte & cappucino options, and they provide tea bags for us Brits, its just difficult to get plain cold milk sometimes.The first morning of my stay, the pain au chocolate croissants were rock hard stale and must have been 2-3 days old, the second day, they felt the same when I picked one up with the tongs provided, so I left them and whilst having some coffee the local baker arrived with fresh bread and croissants, I grabbed one as soon as the waitress put them out and they were still warm and very tasty. I did find cafes and restaurants nearby which served brekfast, but it was just more convenient from me to get it at the hotel, rather than walk out to find somewhere.

Overall I would say that given all the factors that this is a good place to stay if your needs are basic, and if like me you needed a bed for the night and a shower & breakfast. It is clean cheap and well located. However it's certainly not somewhere you would bring a partner for a romantic weekend. The gentleman on reception did tell me that the whole place was due for renovation very soon, and that it was being completley renovated, maybe if or when I visit again the facilities will be much improved, although I think that any such works are going to take many months if not a year or more to complete.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business