“Don't judge a book by its cover” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Esens'All

Esens'All
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Esens'All is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,492 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Esens'ALL and its evolutionary and groundbreaking concept based on the element of surprise, through which Laurent our chef expresses his expertise and his vision of contemporary and sophisticated cuisine featuring rare products and organic farming. The customer stripped of its menu, is guided at the discretion of the market and seasonal products.
Boston
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I travel frequently to Paris and certainly have enjoyed my share of excellent meals over the years but Essen'All will stand out for me as one of the best.
First the location and the ambiance- Essen'All is out the way - I took the Metro and do not mind traveling outside the mainstream for great food - the neighbourhood is not exciting and the location itself is nothing special. Walking in and seeing the dining room made me think perhaps I was in the wrong place. The surroundings seemed plain and not particularly inspired. The bottom line was I was a little worried. Do not get me wrong I am very turned off by overly "done" settings - I do not enjoy a setting that is pretentious but I usually look for a vibe that is cool or interesting in the decor…
I turned my attention to the food and decided to go with 6 not 8 courses as I felt I really was not sure what to expect food wise... Then the first course arrived and all I can say is "wow" by the third course I had regretted not going with the 8 and told my server - I was quickly upgraded to the full experience.
I dined with three other members of my family... All of them said it was one of the most memorable meals they have ever eaten.
Don't go for the setting. Go for the food that is the very essence of this experience!
If this restaurant were in the 6th it would cost double!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jamie5126

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Food with excitment, surprise and delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We visited Esens'All last night (Saturday 4th of August) and had the best meal that we have tasted this year.

The chef patron welcomed us like old friends when we arrived and things went from better to better from then on.

The menu here is not one which you choose, your option is to go for 6 or 8 courses, the rest, following consultation on your taste preferences, is created from the inventive mind of the Chef.

The small homely restaurant provides a wonderful setting for a special meal, and special it really was. We opted for the eight course menu and were not disappointed.

For the first course was squid, squid ink, quinoa, sesame seed powder, cucumber balls, cucumber leaves and onion. We were told we should mix it together so we had the softness of the squid with the crunch of the quinoa and cucumber, squid ink is a taste I've had before, but this mix was a real first to me, can I say what it reminded me of, no - it was an original.

The second course was passionfruit gel, mango and yellow pepper gazpacho and feta cheese with tarragon and a toasted strip of french bread. Now I don't like sweet tastes, but this was anything but, the who knew (well the chef here obviously) that the combination of yellow pepper and mango makes a savoury taste which with the saltiness of the feta makes a perfect foil for the passionfruit - a real surprise on the tongue, but a lovely one.

Following the soft gentle flavours of the second course came the third. Pan seared foie gras, strawberries with green tea foam and small beansprouts.I mentioned yesterday that I love Foie Gras, but I had no idea you could add strawberries as a sharp accompaniment. I often think of strawberries as a sweet fruit, our habit of having them with cream I suppose. But these were tart and provided a perfect foil for the Foie Gras, the green tea foam had a gentle background, when eaten together the three seemed to be perfect companions. My partner, who doesn't normally eat foie gras, was willing to try it and only had one comment - WOW.

Next came another surprising set of flavours. This time it was ginger and preserved lemon gazpacho with cockles and a spoon of caviar. We were advised to stir the caviar into the soup to season it. I am a big fan of cockles, but this course had lots of surprises, yes the meatiness of the cockles, but also the gentle background flavour of the ginger, it started mildly, but then began to do leaps and bounds on my tongue - a taste masterpiece, the salty caviar accentuated the lemon and ginger taste to perfection.

The fifth course was pan fried scallops with poppy butter, cauliflower and micro coriander leaves, my Dad would love this, he's a big fan of scallops, and these ones were special. Two scallops cooked perfectly and poppy butter, which tastes nothing like butter, rather like eating a flower - a surprising taste which was gentle and just right for the scallops, which themselves have a delicate flavour. The shaved raw cauliflower gave the dish a crunchy balance to the soft scallops and poppy butter.

Then we moved on to the sixth course. This was roast duck breast on mango, sweet potato, puffed rice and a mushroom and black pepper sauce. Duck is a favourite meat of ours and the mango acted to draw out the taste of the duck, without adding any sweetness - amazing. The sweet potato had a lot of flavour as did the mushroom sauce.

We split for the seventh course, there was a choice between cheese or a dessert. My partner went for the cheesecake, with coconut foam, biscuit pieces and fresh passion fruit. He said it was very, very nice with a subtle hint of lemon. I on the other hand had a lovely cheese, this was served with candied cherry and candied cherry sauce. I was worried these would be sweet (I'm not a fan of sweet food) but no however they were candied gave them a firm texture but no hint of sugar - cherry and cheese, especially salty cheese go together well, I must try them myself at home.

The final course was another dessert this one was raspberries, pesto, pistachio crumbs, apple blossom, ganache of milk chocolate and a chocolate brownie. A mix of sharp and sweet that brought a perfect end to the meal.

If you are going to Paris, or live there, try and make sure you make Essens'All part of the experience, but book early, there are only a few tables and the restaurant must be booked, there are no 'walk-in' guests

• Visited August 2012
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“A Once in a Lifetime Dining Miracle !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

In early May of 2012 we brought a group of 14 to Laurent's restaurant, l'Esens'ALL . It was a surprise not to be believed! The amazing presentation and top quality food, well served with a culinary commentary to accompany the taste sensation.

We took up almost the entire dining room; the table was beautifully set and the atmosphere was just right for kicking off our France adventure with a group of friends, old and new. Each course was an unexpected delight and the price for the experiece unbeatable. From the foie gras right through to the TWO desserts, the entire evening was like a dream. We will definitely return.

• Visited May 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Outstanding value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

8 courses with 4-5 glasses of wine added for 100 euro per person: Excellent value, when the quality is as at Esens'All.

You'll never stumble across the restaurant as its located in a backstreet close to the tracks of the Rome station, and even if you did, the exterior will not drag you in. That's a shame.

Having dined at several Michelin rated restaurants in Copenhagen, Esens'All is clearly Michelin quality, at a cut-price.

The evening contained several highlights, amongst them the best Foie Gras I've ever had. But the overall takeaway was that everything worked, each dish measured perfectly and made perfect sense. The chef came out at the end of the evening and clearly he's an idealist and an enthusiast.

Only slight dent in the armor was the lack of wine. Opted for the "menu" but had the first glass for the first 4 dishes, and had to ask for another. This can be rectified by buying a bottle
I suppose.

Overall, fantastic value.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
“dinner at esens all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

One of the finest meals of our lifetime. Eight courses with generous wine pairings. Started with a truffle souffle that melted in our mouth. Cannot beat this experience at any price.