New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #397 of 1,816 Hotels in Paris
Alnwick
“GREAT LOCATION”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed in late November 2012 - great location,! Our room was small and bizarrely decorated with a beam running head height which was tricky to negotiate but everything forgiven because the restaurants in the area are top quality and the location is great for walking to most of the major tourist attractions. We paid extra for a balcony room which overlooked a scaffolded building being renovated - even so would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mamboburns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family of 3 stayed in this Hotel in December 2013 in a triple room, one double bed and one single. Both beds and all pillows suited us fine. The rooms are not big but we did not mind as we only slept in the room. We were in the heart of Paris and you would not have known it. The staff were so friendly and assisted us in every way. Our bathroom was perfect and even had a bath. We may not of had a view but because the Hotel is tucked away in a back street off the main Rue De Rivoli it did not matter. Breakfast was great as we had enough to get us through the morning. Location is perfect....5 mins to Louvre, 8 mins to Notre Dame, 1 min to main street, easy walk to just about everything. Cross the bridge and catch a Batobus to the Tower; otherwise we could walk just about anywhere. Did I mention how friendly the staff were. We had to send an email for our Thalys Train Ticket to the office and they printed it out and had it waiting for us at reception. We could even leave our bags at reception before our departure at 2pm for the train at Garde de Nord. Easy subway system. Cheaper to catch the Met then a taxi to most destinations as the entry to the Met is only metres from the Hotel. Perfect place. Memorable and very quaint.

Room Tip: We chose a triple room for our family as we have a nine year old daughter. The rooms are all quiet...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie T
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed with a family (total of 4) in a quadruple room, with two sofa beds and one queen bed. The sofa beds were so uncomfortable that my teenage children had to put the sofa mattresses directly on the floor as the frames of the sofas were too uncomfortable to sleep on. The staff are reasonably friendly, although one staff member gave me incorrect information about Euro Disney, which finished up costing me more than it should have, nonetheless, the location of this Hotel is good, close to Metro and Rue de Rivoli. The foyer and breakfast area were nice and pleasant and the breakfast supplied was adequate, although for a similar price you get a lot more variety in nearby cafes (of which there are plenty), so give that some thought. The building is an older style hotel, in a back street off Rue de Rivoli and there is a supermarket just around the corner near the metro entrance. The back streets can seem a bit daunting at night, however apart from the odd french drunk relieving themselves in doorways, there were no safety issues. Our room was cosy enough and bathroom was quite large by french standards, but there was a lot of noise on occasion late at night or early morning from other tenants/guests or nearby residents (I couldnt work out which). Free wifi is a bonus. I dont think I will stay there again, but you have to experience different places to gain an appreciation of what is available as opposed to cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ajk021
CapelleaandenIjssel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Just of the busy roads in the centre of Paris. Staff is polite. Rooms are not big. As in Paris most rooms are very petite, the rooms in this hotel are not big but neither very small. Only the bathrooms are very small, only one person a time...
The location is great. Walking distance to the Seine, the Louvre, pont neuf and Ile the la cite with the Notre Dame. Also near a lot of metro stations.
For a meal go to 'Bords de Seine' on 1 Place du Chatelet. A typical french cafe restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Anthony V
Bryan, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here for four nights in early November. Had a balcony room (502, if I remember correctly), and a discounted rate for the time of year. (Note: I would recommend going for a balcony room). Overall we were happy with it, and we could have found it really great, but there were too many small points (all of them _easily_ fixable) that could have made it a much better stay.

First the good points:
- We picked this in large part due to location and were very happy with it. It is super close to a metro/RER stop (though getting to the RER part is a good hike through the underground station) - just around the corner. As others have mentioned, there's a supermarket and several close restaurants (though the only nearby one I ate at was McDonald's - I had a good reason...). It's right near a busy street, but is set back about a block and is actually a very quiet area (some might find it too quiet/deserted). The building across the street still had scaffolding, but no work was being done the days we were there, so it wasn't an issue. Easy walk to Notre Dame and the St. Michael's RER stop for the train to Versailles or to the Louvre in another direction. Reallly good base if you, like us, just have 2-3 days in Paris.
- The staff was friendly, everything was handled efficiently, etc. They printed off a couple of pages I needed printed one night for me.
- I liked that there were plenty of power outlets in convenient locations, and the wifi worked well.
- The rate with a discount was quite reasonable for Paris standards (though seem high compared to other places); not sure how I'd feel if I paid full price.
- The balcony was nice, though a bit cold for the time we were there, so we didn't spend much time on it. In general, I would recommend the balcony rooms, since I think they avoid some of the problems others have talked about, and the balcony was a nice feature. There's no privacy (but there are bars so that there's no security issue) between adjacent balconys, though.
- The room was small overall, but well-arranged, so that we had room for everything we needed. There was indeed a beam going through the middle of the room that I worried I would run into sometime, but never actually did, and it gave the room character.
- We thought the basic decor was nice.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of little things that could have been different that would have made us give it an unqualified support. I think most of these are easily fixable, and none are major things on their own, but collectively they made the experience less than it could have been.
- The room had a very odd smell to it most of the time when we'd come in. We'd get to where we didn't notice it after half an hour or so, but it was very odd, and we couldn't place it. Not totally unpleasant, but not nice, either. Maybe a cleaner-type smell of some sort?
- Cleaning the room could be better. Three examples:
--- One of the walls next to the bed had several stains on it: looked like small drops of blood or something. I don't know how easy it is to clean walls, and I know that's not a part of normal housekeeping, but it made the room have a dirtier feel than it probably really was.
--- Glasses and cups started out with paper underneath them in the bathroom and near the teapot. When a glass or cup we used was replaced, though, it was just set back down, rim down, on the countertop or tray. I know it seems small, but I don't like drinking from the surface that was set down on a bathroom counter - would it have been that hard to replace the paper circle?
--- The little shampoo/soap bottle from a previous occupant was in the shower area when we were there. Was not removed while we were there, even though it was obviously empty.
- The first night, the bed was turned-down while I was out at dinner, with the bedspread and stuff removed. That was nice (and I thought this might be a typical every-night thing, then). But, the bedspread was never put back on the bed - the sheets/blanket were just straightened (not sure if changed or not, but not a big deal) each day.. So, the room had a sort of picked-up but not-fully-put-back feel each day. My wife did not join me there until the second night, so she never got to see the room "decorated" as it were.
- Left us only one towel one day.
- The water heater (for tea/coffee) still had standing water in the bottom of it, so we didn't really feel like using it. I'd have felt better if it had looked as though it was cleaned/checked by the staff.
- The room temperature stayed plenty warm (it was fairly cold when we were there), but the bathroom would get very cold at night. Unlike the other minor items, I'm not sure they could do much about this.
- While we were there, someone decided early one morning to smoke in their room, setting off the fire alarm, and causing us to get dressed and go down 5 or 6 flights of stairs in a rush. I expect this is not common, and the hotel can't avoid stupid guests, but the staff could have handled it better once they knew what it was. Several of us were standing around confused, and it was not until I actually asked a staff member what was happening that he told me it was not an issue and we could go back to the room. It would have been easier had he made an announcement to everyone in the lobby or something.
- The bed had an odd wedge near the head. I'm not sure why this was. My wife liked it, but I found it hard to sleep with.

Like I said, none of the little things was a big deal on its own, but all together they made the stay less pleasant than it could have been. We would stay there again, but we'd be more enthusiastic if the little things were better addressed.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms seem worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jkeyser
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Extremely close to the Châtelet metro stop (within 50 meters), and Châtelet itself is very well located within the city. Location is a plus for this hotel. Very close by are some great restaurants and late night eats as well.

I describe the room as cozy, but this could also easily be redefined as romantic. Or very romantic, lots of red velvet everywhere. I was travelling with a friend, so this element was lost on us, but I did appreciate that the double bed was actually two beds pushed together, so made for a very good night's sleep. What didn't make for a good night's sleep was the noise of the next room, and that of people coming up the stairs just around the corner. Walls here are thin, and if you book, make sure to request not being near the stair well. If memory serves correctly, we stayed in room 109, avoid! Otherwise, room was great. WC separate from the bathroom was a nice touch, and everything else very well kept. Reception was also helpful and accommodating, storing our luggage for us with no charge on our final day. As a final point, they were quite prompt about the 12:00 check-out time.

Given the very reasonable price of our stay and location would I stay here again? Yes. Would I go out of my way to recommend it to friends? Probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near stairwells. Also avoid rooms that have windows looking into the central courtyard...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kfeargri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

After searching many hotels on-line, we followed the high recommendation of this hotel. We were not disappointed. A lovely hotel in the perfect location for walking around the major attractions or using the underground. Just a few yards from Chatelet metro, direct access to all main metro lines through Paris, including a few stops from Gare de Lyon and the RER to Disneyland. We are a married couple with one child and stayed in the beautiful triple room, rm 301. Very friendly and helpful staff, obviously very proud of their wonderful manor house style hotel. Next time we travel to Paris we will stay here again. I understand that Paris hotels can be a bit hit or miss, and not always value for money. This hotel is definately a hit. Best wishes to all the staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family