“Not too bad - rooms need upgrading.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Dechampaigne

Grand Hotel Dechampaigne
Ranked #404 of 1,812 Hotels in Paris
Sydney, Australia
“Not too bad - rooms need upgrading.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed with a family (total of 4) in a quadruple room, with two sofa beds and one queen bed. The sofa beds were so uncomfortable that my teenage children had to put the sofa mattresses directly on the floor as the frames of the sofas were too uncomfortable to sleep on. The staff are reasonably friendly, although one staff member gave me incorrect information about Euro Disney, which finished up costing me more than it should have, nonetheless, the location of this Hotel is good, close to Metro and Rue de Rivoli. The foyer and breakfast area were nice and pleasant and the breakfast supplied was adequate, although for a similar price you get a lot more variety in nearby cafes (of which there are plenty), so give that some thought. The building is an older style hotel, in a back street off Rue de Rivoli and there is a supermarket just around the corner near the metro entrance. The back streets can seem a bit daunting at night, however apart from the odd french drunk relieving themselves in doorways, there were no safety issues. Our room was cosy enough and bathroom was quite large by french standards, but there was a lot of noise on occasion late at night or early morning from other tenants/guests or nearby residents (I couldnt work out which). Free wifi is a bonus. I dont think I will stay there again, but you have to experience different places to gain an appreciation of what is available as opposed to cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ajk021

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
CapelleaandenIjssel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Just of the busy roads in the centre of Paris. Staff is polite. Rooms are not big. As in Paris most rooms are very petite, the rooms in this hotel are not big but neither very small. Only the bathrooms are very small, only one person a time...
The location is great. Walking distance to the Seine, the Louvre, pont neuf and Ile the la cite with the Notre Dame. Also near a lot of metro stations.
For a meal go to 'Bords de Seine' on 1 Place du Chatelet. A typical french cafe restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Anthony V
Bryan, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here for four nights in early November. Had a balcony room (502, if I remember correctly), and a discounted rate for the time of year. (Note: I would recommend going for a balcony room). Overall we were happy with it, and we could have found it really great, but there were too many small points (all of them _easily_ fixable) that could have made it a much better stay.

First the good points:
- We picked this in large part due to location and were very happy with it. It is super close to a metro/RER stop (though getting to the RER part is a good hike through the underground station) - just around the corner. As others have mentioned, there's a supermarket and several close restaurants (though the only nearby one I ate at was McDonald's - I had a good reason...). It's right near a busy street, but is set back about a block and is actually a very quiet area (some might find it too quiet/deserted). The building across the street still had scaffolding, but no work was being done the days we were there, so it wasn't an issue. Easy walk to Notre Dame and the St. Michael's RER stop for the train to Versailles or to the Louvre in another direction. Reallly good base if you, like us, just have 2-3 days in Paris.
- The staff was friendly, everything was handled efficiently, etc. They printed off a couple of pages I needed printed one night for me.
- I liked that there were plenty of power outlets in convenient locations, and the wifi worked well.
- The rate with a discount was quite reasonable for Paris standards (though seem high compared to other places); not sure how I'd feel if I paid full price.
- The balcony was nice, though a bit cold for the time we were there, so we didn't spend much time on it. In general, I would recommend the balcony rooms, since I think they avoid some of the problems others have talked about, and the balcony was a nice feature. There's no privacy (but there are bars so that there's no security issue) between adjacent balconys, though.
- The room was small overall, but well-arranged, so that we had room for everything we needed. There was indeed a beam going through the middle of the room that I worried I would run into sometime, but never actually did, and it gave the room character.
- We thought the basic decor was nice.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of little things that could have been different that would have made us give it an unqualified support. I think most of these are easily fixable, and none are major things on their own, but collectively they made the experience less than it could have been.
- The room had a very odd smell to it most of the time when we'd come in. We'd get to where we didn't notice it after half an hour or so, but it was very odd, and we couldn't place it. Not totally unpleasant, but not nice, either. Maybe a cleaner-type smell of some sort?
- Cleaning the room could be better. Three examples:
--- One of the walls next to the bed had several stains on it: looked like small drops of blood or something. I don't know how easy it is to clean walls, and I know that's not a part of normal housekeeping, but it made the room have a dirtier feel than it probably really was.
--- Glasses and cups started out with paper underneath them in the bathroom and near the teapot. When a glass or cup we used was replaced, though, it was just set back down, rim down, on the countertop or tray. I know it seems small, but I don't like drinking from the surface that was set down on a bathroom counter - would it have been that hard to replace the paper circle?
--- The little shampoo/soap bottle from a previous occupant was in the shower area when we were there. Was not removed while we were there, even though it was obviously empty.
- The first night, the bed was turned-down while I was out at dinner, with the bedspread and stuff removed. That was nice (and I thought this might be a typical every-night thing, then). But, the bedspread was never put back on the bed - the sheets/blanket were just straightened (not sure if changed or not, but not a big deal) each day.. So, the room had a sort of picked-up but not-fully-put-back feel each day. My wife did not join me there until the second night, so she never got to see the room "decorated" as it were.
- Left us only one towel one day.
- The water heater (for tea/coffee) still had standing water in the bottom of it, so we didn't really feel like using it. I'd have felt better if it had looked as though it was cleaned/checked by the staff.
- The room temperature stayed plenty warm (it was fairly cold when we were there), but the bathroom would get very cold at night. Unlike the other minor items, I'm not sure they could do much about this.
- While we were there, someone decided early one morning to smoke in their room, setting off the fire alarm, and causing us to get dressed and go down 5 or 6 flights of stairs in a rush. I expect this is not common, and the hotel can't avoid stupid guests, but the staff could have handled it better once they knew what it was. Several of us were standing around confused, and it was not until I actually asked a staff member what was happening that he told me it was not an issue and we could go back to the room. It would have been easier had he made an announcement to everyone in the lobby or something.
- The bed had an odd wedge near the head. I'm not sure why this was. My wife liked it, but I found it hard to sleep with.

Like I said, none of the little things was a big deal on its own, but all together they made the stay less pleasant than it could have been. We would stay there again, but we'd be more enthusiastic if the little things were better addressed.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms seem worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jkeyser
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Extremely close to the Châtelet metro stop (within 50 meters), and Châtelet itself is very well located within the city. Location is a plus for this hotel. Very close by are some great restaurants and late night eats as well.

I describe the room as cozy, but this could also easily be redefined as romantic. Or very romantic, lots of red velvet everywhere. I was travelling with a friend, so this element was lost on us, but I did appreciate that the double bed was actually two beds pushed together, so made for a very good night's sleep. What didn't make for a good night's sleep was the noise of the next room, and that of people coming up the stairs just around the corner. Walls here are thin, and if you book, make sure to request not being near the stair well. If memory serves correctly, we stayed in room 109, avoid! Otherwise, room was great. WC separate from the bathroom was a nice touch, and everything else very well kept. Reception was also helpful and accommodating, storing our luggage for us with no charge on our final day. As a final point, they were quite prompt about the 12:00 check-out time.

Given the very reasonable price of our stay and location would I stay here again? Yes. Would I go out of my way to recommend it to friends? Probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near stairwells. Also avoid rooms that have windows looking into the central courtyard...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kfeargri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

After searching many hotels on-line, we followed the high recommendation of this hotel. We were not disappointed. A lovely hotel in the perfect location for walking around the major attractions or using the underground. Just a few yards from Chatelet metro, direct access to all main metro lines through Paris, including a few stops from Gare de Lyon and the RER to Disneyland. We are a married couple with one child and stayed in the beautiful triple room, rm 301. Very friendly and helpful staff, obviously very proud of their wonderful manor house style hotel. Next time we travel to Paris we will stay here again. I understand that Paris hotels can be a bit hit or miss, and not always value for money. This hotel is definately a hit. Best wishes to all the staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Adam B
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

A very warm and friendly welcome by great reception staff, very cosy room, clean and tidy, modern bathroom. WiFi didn't really work but ok signal via 3G.
The Dechampaigne has a great feel about it and it's obviously family run with loads of attention to detail in every room and in the communal spaces. The staff is exceptionally friendly and welcoming, very flexible (could check in 2 hours earlier and check out late without any problem), and fluent in English.
It's a typical Parisian building with rather small rooms, and, as mentioned in many other posts, a lift that fits max 2 adults. The location is pretty much ideal, a short walk to most sights, shopping and nightlife.
Altogether a great little hotel, very convenient and - considering you're in Paris - reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Dirk1378
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We split up our stay in Paris, so we spent two nights in this wonderful hotel, left Paris and returned for three more nights. Our room for the first two nights was on the first floor and front corner of the building. The room was small but decorated to the nines. Luckily, the bathroom was huge (for Europe) with a separate area for the toilet. There was a nice window with a flower box outside full of geraniums. The bath was a combo tub/shower. There was a hair dryer with handy 110v outlets, a swing out mirror, and a towel warmer. The towels were huge. The bedroom was clean, neat, and tight but it worked. We booked a room on the fifth floor for our return because they are a bit nicer and have balconies, with only a small bump in price. And, it was well worth it. Basically, you are on the roof so one of the walls was slanted, with heavy beams showing. Just like the other room, the walls are covered with a padded fabric. Very decorated. There was a coffee/tea tray with every thing needed for both, plus the cups and saucers were real china. Nice touch. The bathroom was big, but had a sloped ceiling with a skylight that took some getting use to. The shower only was nice but tight. Lots of counter space, and they put a single red rose on the counter. There was a small refrigerator under the counter too, stocked with various items and drinks. Both rooms were clean, quiet and neat as a pin. The hotel has a charming lobby, with a small bar space where you can sit and enjoy drinks or coffee. The elevator is tiny. Breakfast is offered, but we ate out. A beautiful circular staircase runs through the building. The staff were very helpful and nice, and spoke varying degrees of English. The river is only two blocks away and Notre Dame is about a 10 minute walk. Restaurants and Metro stops are all around the hotel. The location was perfect. The building across the street is still under renovation but it did not bother us at all. No parking is provided. Delicious candies on the front desk. They will hold your bags if you get there before check-in. We had no complaints, only praises for this hotel. Would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are very small, especially in the rear of the building, and some rooms have window...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple