“Great Location, but OH the noise”
Review of Hotel Britannique

Hotel Britannique
Ranked #147 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 27, 2006

Like others have noted, the location of this hotel is superb. You can walk to many places on both the right and left bank, and there's a good metro....Chatelet....around the corner. Yes, the breakfasts are overpriced, but so are they all, and there are cafes down the street and a wonderful patisserie with great chocolat around the corner. Like others, however, I must report that the walls separating the rooms seem to be paper thin. You can hear everything that goes on....someone snoring so loudly you think it's coming from your room; a mother trying to wake her sleeping, jet-lagged child with a "sweetie, wake up." (You know she is not yelling that.....but we could hear her plainly). We stayed in a lower "superior" room, so extra expense is not a solution. Our solution if we stay here again? Travel with someone else & ask to stay in adjacent rooms on the elevator side (curiously, we heard nothing from the elevator shaft, which adjoined our other wall). There are only two rooms on that side, so all you would hear is your friends...although that could lead to other problems!! It's a shame, because the other charms and amenitites of this small hotel are wonderful.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank KaryL

Reviewed November 13, 2006

Never being to Paris and never booking a hotel from researching the web this hotel was the "best". I booked it based on the comments from trip advisor ( which again, I never used before but will before every trip). The hotel was very very clean. I stay in the double superior room with a double balcony and my girlfriend in a single with a single balcony - small compared to American standard but very very comfortable.We had a double closet - half to hang things and half shelves. In room "safe", in room mini refrigerator - great for expensive water/soda. The bathrooms were very very clean and charming - OH the best thing terry bathrobes hanging on the back door, which is great after the night time hot shower after a day of walking. In the lobby we only spoke/saw to Americans, so I felt it catered to Americans. The location the best, 2 blocks to Notre Dame. Metro stations all around. We did not have the "breakfast" for 14 Euros - great pastry eat-in "cafe" for less money. Bistros/Cafe/Resurants all over, you will not starve. We had a lifetime experience. Don't be afraid to take the Metro or RER. The Open Tour bus was a great way to get a feel for the city - you get on and off at certain stops and you get ear phone for a guided tour. Go and ENJOY !!!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank PepsiWoman
Reviewed October 28, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a 3 week stay which included 3 nights in Paris at the Hotel Brittanique. This was the perfect Parisian hotel, close to everything. It's a short walk to Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, tons of cafes, etc. It is beautifully decorated and has amenities such as hairdryer, make-up mirror, washcloths, lovely soaps and bubble bath, etc. We'll stay there again when we're in Paris.

J&D, Florida

6  Thank parkbench
Reviewed October 20, 2006

My husband and I just returned from Paris and I miss it already.
We really enjoyed this hotel because it was very centrally located to everything. We were with in walking distance to the Louvre, Latin Quarter, the Seine, Champs Elysees and the metro. We walked to the Eiffel Tower but that took a little time. If you are up for a leisure stroll I would recommend it.

As for the hotel, yes the rooms are tiny but very clean. There is a great charm to the rooms and the lobby. The staff was wonderful and very helpful.

I popped in to some of the other rooms while they were being cleaned and I noticed that the front rooms on the sixth floor have a great view of the Eiffel tower. I did not see this mentioned in any reviews of the hotel.

There are great places to eat within steps of the hotel. We ate breakfast a few times at the boulangerie around the cornor. This establishment won awards for their bread and croissant. In addition, we discovered a great creperie across the street that can be deadly. The banana and chocolate crepe is to die for. There are many other places to go to as well.

We met a lot of Americans staying at this hotel both young and old. We are in our early 30's. Stay here you won't be sorry.

• Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank DanielleGB.
Reviewed October 13, 2006

Yes, the hotel is tiny. The lobby is tiny, the lift is tiny, our room was tiny, our bathroom was tiny, our balcony was tiny. Everything is tiny about this hotel....except its charm and grace. This is truly a boutique hotel in the strictest terms. You want a Holiday Inn? Then go to a Holiday Inn.

Our room was on the 5th floor overlooking Ave Victoria. As previously mentioned, it even included a balcony, or perhaps better stated, a balconyette, even including a small table and two chairs. The French doors leading to the balcony did a great job of muffling the city noise once the doors were shut. And while on the subject, I am happy to report there was very little noise outside our walls. I've read othere reivews in here stating the walls are thin, but at least for our room, it was pretty much soundproof. Noise was never an issue with us during our 8 night stay.

My wife in particular loved the room's very nice decor (a little fluffy for my taste, but then again I'm a guy, so what do I know?) - heck, even the remote control matched the decor! We had what I consider one of the most comfortable beds on which I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping. The pillows were ok, nothing memorable, but I've had some real neck stiffers in other hotels, so by average standards the pillows and subsquent bedding material were certainly above average. Not that we watched it much other than to get the weather report, but the room does include a nice little flat panel TV. It includes two BBC stations plus CNN-Europe. There is also a wall safe to store your valuables and a mini-fridge. A word of caution: they stock the fridge with goodies, so if you consume any of the items, your min-fridge just became a mini-bar and you will be charged accordingly. However, just so long as your leave their stuff alone, feel free to store in it anything you purchased - no charge for that.

Being a guy, I always appreciate a sink that dispense HOT water and a toilette that actually flushes. Both features in our room passed with perfection. I did not like the fact that the tub did not have a built in shower head, instead it was one of those detachable shower heads with the coil, and there was an attachment up high in which you can place the nozzle to simulate a real shower, but it's still not the real McCoy in my book. Plus there is no curtain on the tub, altho there is a small wall separating the sink from part of the shower. All in all, the chances of the bathroom floor getting a bit wet are pretty high.

This and the fact that the room did not contain a clock is the primary reason I'm only giving this hotel a rating score of 4 (really should be 4 1/2) out of 5. If you think I'm being too picky over what I've critiqued, then you might find yourself giving the Britannique a 5 rating, assuming you agreed with all else I've mentioned.

The staff is very friendly and accomodating - all speak decent to very good English for those too lazy to try and learn French (like me). There is a tall, slender gentlemen about late 30ish to early 40ish working the night shift whose name slips my feeble memory, who was particularly helpful in securing us dinner and day trip reservations and advising us in other matters such as directions to certain locales and what Metro lines to take.

As many others in previous reviews have chosen, we too opted to omit the breakfast buffet in lieu of the little patisserie/boulanger (bakery) just around the corner or other eateries in the area. There's another great little boulanger just across the Seine in the Latin Quarter, right by the St. Michel Metro stop. Their main features are outstanding breads and other bakery goods such as croissants. Yum city!!

If you arrive a bit late and don't feel like running all over the place just to get a good meal on your first night, there's the Cafe Zimmer right across the street from the hotel. It's not world class cuisine by any stretch, but it's good food and it won't put a huge dent in your wallet.

11  Thank simicu
Reviewed October 2, 2006

It is a nice cute hotel with great central location. The rooms are not big but it is comfortable and clean. The decor is very nice with a romantic touch. The breakfast is very very good and highly recommended.
I would have rated this hotel above average except for one thing, one of the staff. I was kind of shocked by the unfriendliness of a certain staff. Especially after I read all those reviews about how great the service is. Most of other staffs are very helpful but everyone there seemed to lack smiles on their faces. The service issue became even more apparent after I stayed at the Royal Magda Etoile and felt like a king there.
My recommendation for this hotel is that if the management care about the reviews and ranking, they should get rid of this person. It is awful to have one bad apple destryoying it all.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank I_love_SF
Reviewed September 22, 2006

The Britannique is an excellent, small, quaint hotel located in the exact center of Paris. You can quickly walk to many Parisian attractions, including Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, Latin quarter, Les Halles, Louvre, and the 6th arrondissement. The hotel itself is located right at the metro Chatelet, and this is the major hub for multiple metro lines serving the entire city and the suburbs. It's a busy metro stop, lots of people and lots of walking, but it is very convenient to the hotel. The cafe Zimmer across the street is a well-known Parisian establishment, and the cafe around the corner does have an excellent croissant. The loud Rue de Rivoli is just around the corner, but the noise doesn't make it to your room.

The hotel is spotless, absolutely spotless. The housekeepers take excellent care in providing quality and clean linens every day, in polishing everything to a gleaming shine. The room safe is a great way to protect valuables. The closet is very large and has shelves as well as hanging space. The rooms are small, but ALL PARISIAN ROOMS ARE SMALL! Unless you book a $600 room, your room will be small. Same for king sized beds. They are almost always two beds put together, but I've slept in them and they are not at all uncomfortable and you do not fall through! Anyway, the bed was very comfortable. There is a little noise that came from people above me showering, and the last night there was a couple of young guys next door making all sorts of noise at 3 a.m, but after I knocked on their door they calmed down. The concierge told me I should have contacted him and he would have done it for me.

Breakfast was expensive, but it was a LOT of food. Meats, cheeses, eggs, sausages, breads, pastries, cereals, juices, coffee, tea, chocolate, you name it. HUGE amounts of food for a French breakfast. It would be great if they gave you an option of just croissant/bread/coffee for less money. But, the breakfast was consistently excellent.

The staff was pleasant and remembered our room numbers, called taxis for us, helped us whenever we needed it. All speak excellent English as well.

It's really a very good hotel and very well located. Any troubles it has would be experienced in any hotel in Paris.

Stayed: August 2006