“Great location - Good Hotel for the Price”
Review of Hotel Britannique

Hotel Britannique
Ranked #146 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 3, 2006

This hotel does have a great location about halfway between Notre Dame and the Louvre. It's located in The Beaubourg/Les Halles area and is only steps away from lots of cafes/bars/restaurants. It's also really close to a metro so you get easily get just about anywhere in Paris.

The rooms are very small compared with American hotel rooms but standard for Paris hotel rooms. Our room had plenty of storage space so we weren't tripping over our bags. The rooms are spotlessly clean and we had no smoking odours in our room. However, the location of the Hotel is very busy and our room experienced a lot of street noise - people talking, cars, sirens etc. Maybe lighter sleepers should request a higher floor or one at the back of the building. The bathroom is nice but small - especially the shower - there was no bath.

Hotel staff are quite friendly and helpful. The place does have the world's smallest lift - not for the claustrophobic.

We had the breakfast one day for convenience and it is a bit pricy at Eur 14 however if you have a big appetite and like to nibble on a few different things then it may suit you well - they have sausage, scrambled eggs, bread, ham, cheese, yogurts, fruit etc. They'll also do boiled eggs for you as well. There's plenty other places in Paris where you'd pay the same for much less food.

One previous reviewer said the area was a bit seedy but I didn't find this. We went to a couple of different restaurants in the area which were wihin easy walking distance and found them really good value. We particularly enjoyed Au Pied Du Cochon near St Eustache which is a bit more pricy but good for a special occasion. Cafe Beaubourg on Rue Quincampoix was really excellent value and good food. I would not recommend the mussels at Le Trappiste which is just round the corner - they weren't very good.

If we returned to Paris we would consider staying here again - I thought it was good value for the location. Alternatively I would look for other hotels in the same area.

4  Thank Bebe99

Reviewed March 27, 2006

We stayed three days at the Brittanique and just loved it. The hotel was on a quite street and within walking distance to many of the major sights. The rooms were very small but that is expected in most European hotels but it was VERY well decorated and very clean.

The bathroom was actually a little larger than some other hotels and I could not believe how clean it was. It had to be one of the cleanest bathrooms I had ever seen. We were in room #5 on the back side of the first floor and the only disappointment was that that room had no view but that was ok with us since we did not spend a lot of time in the room.

The downstairs sitting room was lovely. The breakfast I thought was a little pricey but it wasn't bad and it was easier than going someplace else.

I would highly recommend this hotel for its location, decor and price.

5  Thank Chris H
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed March 26, 2006

I stayed 4 nights at the hotel. The hotel exists just next to the metro station Chatelét where several lines are available and 5 minutes walk from the Notre Dame de Paris. So the location is excellent.

The room is quite comfortable, quiet and has enough space to stay. The reception staff speaks English well and friendly.

Buffet breakfast fee is not included in room charge. But it doesn’t worth paying 14 euro. There are many cafe, bar and restaurants near the hotel. In front of the hotel, there is a good Chinese restaurant.

I will return to the hotel at next visit to Paris.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Located within minutes by foot of Notre-Dame, the Louvre, Palais Royale & Beaubourg, Hotel Britannique is ideal for tourists, especially the first-timer. There is something magical about being able to wander out of your hotel and "happening" upon a gorgeous view of the Ile-de-Cite & the Seine or the frenetic shopping strip that is Rue de Rivoli! The hotel itself is very charming but on the small side. Our room was quite cramped as was the bathroom. In particular, the shower stall was a joke; it was so narrow and had no shower door or shield, only a curtain, as to make it impossible to shower without flooding most of the room! The maid (and her mop) had my sympathies! Although well-situated for sight-seeing, the immediate area is not the most active at night, which is great if you want peace after a long day of touring the sights, but made dining out a little tougher. Of course, wandering across the Seine after a wonderful French dinner on the Left Bank is nothing to complain about! The staff was pleasant and helpful, and generally spoke excellent English.

6  Thank hamano03
Reviewed March 18, 2006

The Hotel Britannique was not a horrible experience-- but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend unless they were a smoker. I know it's different in Europe-- but I don't smoke and actually arrived in Paris with a bad cold. Our room-- the air, the bedding--everything-- reeked of smoke. It made sleeping unpleasant-- and I was told moving to another room the next day was not an option.
The location is great-- we were able to walk to major sites and fantastic restaurants.
The front desk staff was pleasant-- but not overly helpful. When we arrived... I didn't want to wait to take the tiny elevator to our room-- so I let my friend take the elevator and I headed for the stairs and asked the desk attendant if my room was just up the stairs. He said yes and sent me on my merry way with 2 heavy suitcases (at this point I'd been on the road for 6 weeks), a laptop and heavy backpack. At the top of the first flight of windy, narrow stairs I realized I had 5 more flights to go and bailed on my walking the stairs plan... but you'd think he'd say-- there are 6 narrow, windy flights of stairs rather than waving me off.
As noted in other reviews-- a 13 Euro breakfast is expensive-- we didn't do it.
We DID enjoy the view of the Eiffel tower from our room.
Lisa Helderop
Portland, Oregon

5  Thank pdxitaly
Reviewed March 17, 2006

I really liked this place. I wasn't sure what to expect from reviews, but found myself really enjoying this hotel. The staff was lovely...the day receptionist was quite sweet and especially helpful. The night help was good too, I just happened to see the day receptionist more. Our room really was very nice. And having a nice, steaming hot shower was great. We'd come from Italy where the water never seemed to ever get "hot". The location was perfect. Easy walking to the Louvre, to the Marais area, to Notre Dame, to the Latin Quarter. We had tea in the Study, which was really a treat. They carry Marias Freres tea...quite nice. From reading people's comments for numerous Paris hotels, I've realized that much of the negative comments stem from people not used to Parisian hotels. The rooms will be small (if you want larger, be willing to find a hotel for more money or look into apartment rental instead)you are in a city, so you will hear noise. Keeping in mind that rooms are small in Paris, you will hear noises from other rooms despite sound-proofing. This is not the hotel's fault though some people will give a negative rating for something that should be blamed on other guests. Yes, I would stay there again. The price, the reception, the food, the room, the location. It was all good.

• Stayed: February 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

Reading the other reviews, I'm thinking the Britannique was a good place that I caught on a bad day. With only a one-night stay, however, they had only one chance to make me a repeat customer.

ADVANTAGES: The location's wonderful, although it's a long walk with your luggage through the catacombs of the Les Halles/Chatelet station if you're coming straight from the airport on the RER. Walking directions on the hotel website are excellent. Once you're checked in, it really does seem like you're a short walk from most of the places you'd want to go. If you need the Metro, access to several different lines is quick and easy. The hotel's also just a block or two from a fairly seedy area on the Rue St. Denis, but, even among all the adult movie stores and tattoo shops, the street food (crepes, paninis, etc.) is cheap and delicious.

DISADVANTAGES: Even though they had rooms unrented the previous night, they did not permit an early check-in. The better, or smarter, hotels will do this whenever possible for Americans, most of whom have flown overnight to reach Paris, always arrive early, and really appreciate the availability of a bed and a shower. My room was ready by 2 p.m., as promised, but there were problems with towels (some missing) and the TV set (no working remote control) that never got fixed. The woman at the front desk was polite, but didn't seem to want to get involved. With all the food alternatives in the area, the 13-Euro breakfast was a bypass. Rooms were very typical for Paris: small with the "cozy" quality that makes "small" not seem so bad. I solved the problem of excess heat by shutting down the radiator and opening one of the doors to a small balcony.

This was only my third trip to Paris, so I'm hardly a veteran. On my next one-nighter, I may try another hotel in the same neighborhood.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business