“Great location, adequate hotel”
Review of Hotel Britannique

Hotel Britannique
Ranked #153 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
New York, NY
“Great location, adequate hotel”
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Located within minutes by foot of Notre-Dame, the Louvre, Palais Royale & Beaubourg, Hotel Britannique is ideal for tourists, especially the first-timer. There is something magical about being able to wander out of your hotel and "happening" upon a gorgeous view of the Ile-de-Cite & the Seine or the frenetic shopping strip that is Rue de Rivoli! The hotel itself is very charming but on the small side. Our room was quite cramped as was the bathroom. In particular, the shower stall was a joke; it was so narrow and had no shower door or shield, only a curtain, as to make it impossible to shower without flooding most of the room! The maid (and her mop) had my sympathies! Although well-situated for sight-seeing, the immediate area is not the most active at night, which is great if you want peace after a long day of touring the sights, but made dining out a little tougher. Of course, wandering across the Seine after a wonderful French dinner on the Left Bank is nothing to complain about! The staff was pleasant and helpful, and generally spoke excellent English.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank hamano03

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
portland, oregon
Reviewed March 18, 2006

The Hotel Britannique was not a horrible experience-- but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend unless they were a smoker. I know it's different in Europe-- but I don't smoke and actually arrived in Paris with a bad cold. Our room-- the air, the bedding--everything-- reeked of smoke. It made sleeping unpleasant-- and I was told moving to another room the next day was not an option.
The location is great-- we were able to walk to major sites and fantastic restaurants.
The front desk staff was pleasant-- but not overly helpful. When we arrived... I didn't want to wait to take the tiny elevator to our room-- so I let my friend take the elevator and I headed for the stairs and asked the desk attendant if my room was just up the stairs. He said yes and sent me on my merry way with 2 heavy suitcases (at this point I'd been on the road for 6 weeks), a laptop and heavy backpack. At the top of the first flight of windy, narrow stairs I realized I had 5 more flights to go and bailed on my walking the stairs plan... but you'd think he'd say-- there are 6 narrow, windy flights of stairs rather than waving me off.
As noted in other reviews-- a 13 Euro breakfast is expensive-- we didn't do it.
We DID enjoy the view of the Eiffel tower from our room.
Lisa Helderop
Portland, Oregon

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank pdxitaly
Reviewed March 17, 2006

I really liked this place. I wasn't sure what to expect from reviews, but found myself really enjoying this hotel. The staff was lovely...the day receptionist was quite sweet and especially helpful. The night help was good too, I just happened to see the day receptionist more. Our room really was very nice. And having a nice, steaming hot shower was great. We'd come from Italy where the water never seemed to ever get "hot". The location was perfect. Easy walking to the Louvre, to the Marais area, to Notre Dame, to the Latin Quarter. We had tea in the Study, which was really a treat. They carry Marias Freres tea...quite nice. From reading people's comments for numerous Paris hotels, I've realized that much of the negative comments stem from people not used to Parisian hotels. The rooms will be small (if you want larger, be willing to find a hotel for more money or look into apartment rental instead)you are in a city, so you will hear noise. Keeping in mind that rooms are small in Paris, you will hear noises from other rooms despite sound-proofing. This is not the hotel's fault though some people will give a negative rating for something that should be blamed on other guests. Yes, I would stay there again. The price, the reception, the food, the room, the location. It was all good.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

Reading the other reviews, I'm thinking the Britannique was a good place that I caught on a bad day. With only a one-night stay, however, they had only one chance to make me a repeat customer.

ADVANTAGES: The location's wonderful, although it's a long walk with your luggage through the catacombs of the Les Halles/Chatelet station if you're coming straight from the airport on the RER. Walking directions on the hotel website are excellent. Once you're checked in, it really does seem like you're a short walk from most of the places you'd want to go. If you need the Metro, access to several different lines is quick and easy. The hotel's also just a block or two from a fairly seedy area on the Rue St. Denis, but, even among all the adult movie stores and tattoo shops, the street food (crepes, paninis, etc.) is cheap and delicious.

DISADVANTAGES: Even though they had rooms unrented the previous night, they did not permit an early check-in. The better, or smarter, hotels will do this whenever possible for Americans, most of whom have flown overnight to reach Paris, always arrive early, and really appreciate the availability of a bed and a shower. My room was ready by 2 p.m., as promised, but there were problems with towels (some missing) and the TV set (no working remote control) that never got fixed. The woman at the front desk was polite, but didn't seem to want to get involved. With all the food alternatives in the area, the 13-Euro breakfast was a bypass. Rooms were very typical for Paris: small with the "cozy" quality that makes "small" not seem so bad. I solved the problem of excess heat by shutting down the radiator and opening one of the doors to a small balcony.

This was only my third trip to Paris, so I'm hardly a veteran. On my next one-nighter, I may try another hotel in the same neighborhood.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City & Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed February 24, 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Brittanique for 5 nights because of the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. We both felt that it was a good hotel... not great but adequate.

The best thing about the hotel is its location. It's just a block away from a Metro hub station Chatelet and a stone throw from Notre Dame, the Louvre, St. Chappelle and the Marais (which tends to be our favorite neighborhood). It's very centrally located in the 1st arrondissment with great views of the Siene and Ile de la Cite just down the street. You can pretty much walk everywhere without having to jump into a cab or the Metro.

It's a charming hotel. A bit "grandmotherly" for our taste at times but the rooms are well maintained and the bathrooms are spacious for European standards. The staff was kind and helpful. The breakfast was decent but for the 13 Euro price tag, it was a bit of a disappointment when there are good cafes and boulangeries a block away.

We had nothing to really complain about... it's just that its an uneventful hotel. It's a great place to set your head on a pillow but as far as it being romantic, fun or interesting... it is not. Especially since it's in Paris (a city with so much history and intrigue), it was kind of a let down to stay in a space that was a bit characterless.

However, if you want a place that's comfortable and relatively inexpensive, Hotel Brittanique would be a fine choice.

15 Thank rain1973
Reviewed February 23, 2006

We stayed at the Hotel Britannique from Feb 15-20 and thought everything about it was perfect. We had a Standard Double Room on the fourth floor that was beautifully decorated. The room faced the street but we had no trouble with outside noise at all.

As mentioned in previous reviews there is some problem with the sound-proofing between rooms, however it was never enough of an issue to really bother us. We actually never heard any of our neighbors, instead it was the people above us that we could hear walking around late at night or early in the morning.

The staff at the front desk were very helpful with restaurant suggestions and transportation questions to and from the airport.

The most amazing thing about this hotel is its location. You are one block from the Seine, a few blocks from Notre Dame in one direction and the Louvre in the other direction. We walked EVERYWHERE from our hotel and only took a taxi at night when we were just too exhausted to walk anywhere else.

If ever back in Paris I would definately stay at the Hotel Britannique again and I will be recommending it to any family or friends that travel through Paris.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed February 16, 2006

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. Overall we were very impressed with the location, quality of the hotel and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

We stayed in a superior room on the first floor with a great view of the back of hotel on the next street and their extractor fans! I was very dissapointed with this having thought that the superior rooms would have had a better view. The room also smelled smoky - had I thought in advance I would have requested a non-smoking room although that option wasn't available on booking on-line. It wasn't too bad though definitely not enough to warrant complaining. The other problem we had with the room was something that has been mentioned before and that was the lack of soundproofing. Being on the back of the hotel it was quieter than I had expected but the main problem we encountered was the very loud people in the next door room who woke us up at 5.45am when they left to get their plane!

The room itself was great. Very nicely decorated and clean. Even with the radiator turned off it was very warm! The bathroom was great again very clean and it was nice to have a powerful shower that was a decent size and not a matchbox.

We opted to have the breakfast in the hotel both mornings. It was plentiful with a good choice and worth the 13E. The weather wasn't great while we were there and it was easier to have breakfast in the hotel than venture out!

The staff were very helpful throughout our stay. My english accent gave me away though as even though I spoke French to them they always replied in English! From checking reservations for lunch to recommending somewhere for dinner and advising us the best way to get to places they were faultless. Another recommendation for the Cafe Zimmer - we had a lovely Valentines dinner there.

Location wise it was great. Only a few stops down from the Gare du Nord (Eurostar) and near a major intersection of the Metro lines. It was very close the the Seine and lovely for a walk over to the the Ile after dinner. We found the area to be ok and despite many homeless people we saw, we never had any problems with any of them and felt very safe.

Overall we were a dissapointed with the view and the smoky smell in the room but were otherwise very impressed. We would definitely stay there again - just request a non-smoking room on a higher floor! A lovely stay in a beautiful city.

7 Thank rainydays26