“Highly recommend this hotel”
Review of Hotel Britannique

Hotel Britannique
Ranked #150 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
New Canaan, Ct
“Highly recommend this hotel”
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My husband and I (relatively seasoned travelers) recently took his parents (in their 80's, somewhat limited mobility for him, not seasoned travelers) to Normandy and Paris. The Hotel Brittanique in Paris was a gem! Small boutique hotel but had everything we needed to be comfortable. We had rooms 25 and 55. Rooms were of a reasonable size (given its Europe ... need to realize they will be smaller than Americans generally used to), lovely bathrooms, a small elevator so didn't need to lug our luggage upstairs. The common sitting room was quite pretty and had a computer hooked up that guests could use. Continental breakfast was a little pricey but well done with eggs, saugage, breads/croissants, cheeses, cereal etc. The staff at the front desk was also quite pleasant and helpful (I would especially point out the very very nice and competant brunette woman from Vancouver Canada as being top notch). The location of the hotel was also quite convenient ... several nearby metro stops, walking distance to the Seine, Notre Dame and the Louvre. Several fine brasseries also nearby were nice to stop in for a later evening nightcap and cheese. All in all we had a terrific time and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank JEH_CT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights during a trip to Europe for our 3rd anniversary. Overall, we enjoyed it and would stay here again

Paris was our first stop from the US so we arrived quite early and could not check in. They did have a baggage room for us to store our things in and pointed us in the direction of things we wanted. Our room was ready when we came back and was nice and clean- small but that is to be expected. We had a room with a balcony, which was a great addition. The shower was fine but leaked some water into the bathroom.

The wireless internet worked well.

Location is great you are literally steps from the METRO and very close to Notre Dame, etc. The staff is knowledgable and friendly.

Check out was smooth.

Michigan, USA
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I found this gem of a hotel on TripAdvisor and it exceeded my expectations. The location was perfect - we could walk to many museums/monuments and the rest were only a stop or two away from one of the Metro lines at Chatelet. Lots of great cafes and restaurants in the area as well. Great buffet breakfast which went beyond the usual Continental fare. The staff was unbelievably nice and helpful and were most accomodating of every request. We were there for a week so we met many of them and they all treated us like special guests. We talked to another guest that has been staying here for 10 years and he says the service has been consistently great.
I highly recommend this hotel for location, service, value, and the clean nicely appointed rooms.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank ChelseaGirl54
washington, dc
Reviewed September 26, 2009

this hotel is in a great location in the 1st arrondissement, just across the street from a (chatelet) metro entrance, and one short block off the seine. the rooms (i stayed in a single but visited a king) are clean and cozy but not too small. the bathrooms are clean and appear recently renovated. my single bath had a shower stall, but my friend's king bath had a tub. air conditioning and in-room safe worked well. there are several places (salons du the, cafes, restaurants) quite close for meals. the staff are helpful and friendly. the elevator is tiny, but reliable. the sitting room is comfortable and full of books on paris.

i arrived before check-in and the hotel offered to keep my luggage in a locked area until my room was available.

the higher rooms on the front of the hotel have good light and pleasant views. i arrived the day before a (daytime) street festival: on the first night i heard loud construction noise as workers put together a stage and festival area, on the second night i heard the deconstruction noise, but after that the following nights were blissfully quiet.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed September 24, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Britannique for 4 nights when celebrating our Ruby Wedding - 40 years!The hotel location is excellent, on bus/ underground routes and walking distance to Louvre/ Notre Dame, and Pompidou Centre. The hotel is very clean and reasonably quiet for centre of a busy city ( we had room on front of hotel.) We never heard any other guests. Breakfast was fine and in a nice cosy breakfast room. We really relaxed here and the staff were fantastic. So friendly and helpful, we even had compimentary English tea in the afternoon in our room. This hotel comes highly recommended.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
    • Check in / front desk
London
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Excellent for a romantic break, took my wife for first anniversary.
Very central - good for Louvre , Metro , St Germain.
Nice and clean room 'slightly' on the cosy side.
Good breakfast buffet with hot options..
Hotel organised a beautiful bouquet of flowers and champagne for the room ..
Although whilst changing rooms the maid threw out the flowers which we found very disappointing and not really explained .... the replacement was not as good...
Very helpful reception organised evening tickets/restaurant bookings etc ..

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed September 18, 2009

My wife and I staid in Paris for 6 nights (from August 30 till September 5). One cannot have a better location to stay in Paris. The hotel is perfectly located for the tourists planning to get knowing Paris, especially by walking. Many Paris' beautiful places and museums are at the walking distance from the hotel: Ile De La Site, Ile De Saint Louis, Jardin Du Luxembourg, Jardin Des Tuileries, Notre Dame, Latin Quater, and many many others. We even waked to the Alexander III Bridge (Place of Invalides) - about 40 minutes one way, to the Arc de Triomphe - about one hour along the Champs-Elysees, and to the Eiffel Tower - about 1.5 hour along Seine River.

Service is very good, rooms are clean. We had one unfortunate incident with somebody's dirty stocks appearing on the night table. After I brought it to reception's attention, management had sincerely apologized to me and offered a complementary breakfast. Also - for some strange reason, they do not provide the shower caps, so plan on having it with you.

The hotel offers the complementary WiFi connection - worked fine, and I was able to read the news on the WEB and to check my e-mails.

The room (#32 - street exposure, no balcony) was great - small, with the king size bed, and very cozy and clean. Two huge windows can be wide open allowing fresh air in. If you are planning on having several electronic gadgets as I had with me, get ready to take with you the power cord, - there is not enough power wall outlets in the room. And, obviously don't forget a few 220v European power outlet adapters (I had 5 with me - used them all for my camcorder, photo camera, GPS, and two cell phones).

The room has a safe with the code lock, it was working fine, so I used it for some of my valuables and purchases I have made. It was not trivial to understand how to use the lock, so I had to figure out it myself and only then I found a small sheet with the instructions on the table.

Bathroom is a bit small, but still convenient and very clean. Towels are changed every day. After you check in, you may want to ask them for some more soap bars, as we had only one prepared in the bathroom, and bar us really small.

There is an air-conditioner in the room - located just above the entrance door with the regulator on the wall. It's cooling the room sufficiently. We had a chance to try it it for the couple of days while the days in Paris were quite hot (up to 30 degrees Celsius).

Breakfast, the hotel provides, is not extremely good. Despite the price for the buffet type of breakfast (15 euro per person), I could not persuade myself to eat it. We tried several various places to eat in Paris (breakfast and dinner alike), even using the hints from the well known "Tom's Guide to Paris", and we found the best to be the "Zimmerman" restaurant just across the street from the hotel. Breakfast for two: two omelets (one - with bacon), one big vegetable salad, two coffees, and three small croissants - all cost about 35 euro.

The weather was not very good for the last three days of our stay - clouds and rain. I regretted I did not take a sweater and a raincoat with me.

All in all, it was a great, unforgettable stay in Paris, we very much enjoyed, in large part due to the hotel we chose to stay in.

1 Thank Rabor