“Nice hotel, great location!”
Review of Hotel Britannique

Hotel Britannique
Ranked #155 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Nice hotel, great location!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Celebrating our 20th anniversary, my husband and I decided to stay at this hotel. Although the rooms are super small, they are decorated beautifully. The beds are very comfortable and the hotel is quiet. The only thing I would change would be if the front desk was a little more helpful. We asked several times for help on a variety of things and were met with lukewarm answers. Otherwise, this was a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Great for the eastern side of the city, metro (Chatelet), river and local cultural heritage - including local garden and pet shops which we were surprised to find sell real puppies and kittens. Not sure if that was a good or bad thing. Well furnished room with kettle and hair drier (so don't add weight by bringing your own). Very tiny lift unsuitable for wheelchair (mind you, Paris is unsuitable for wheelchairs; nearly every cafe and restaurant loo is down steep narrow stairs to the basement). Breakfast provides lots of choice and there's a comfy / cosy lounge to read the free newspaper before setting out.

Tip - buy your own Coke and fridge essentials from the near-by supermarket. Hotel prices a bit steep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fivecorners
Cedar Knolls, New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My fiance (boyfriend when we checked in...fiance when we checked out!) and I went to Europe and stayed in Paris for 4 nights at Hotel Britannique. I was trying to find the perfect hotel because this was his first time in Paris and I had talked it up so much and I wanted everything to be perfect so I spent hours looking for a good hotel and this hotel got great reviews- I'm not sure why because usually trip advisor is right on. The rooms and bathrooms are really small- even for Paris standards. We were told by email prior to our stay that there was to be rennovations on the hotel and we could opt out but after so much searching we decided to stay because they said the rennovations wouldn't begin until 9am, but they began between 8:15am-8:30am, definitely not later than 8:30am ruining any chance of sleeping in. We were niave in thinking that it wouldn't be too bad so if you're staying here during the rennovations I do advise you of our mistake- it's BAD!!! It sounded like they were hammering on our heads and they were directly outside our window- but it was our fault for assuming that it couldn't be that bad or they wouldn't have still had the rooms available to stay in- don't make the same assumption that we did! We were so tired from being woken up so early that we would do our sight seeing during the day and get in after 5pm when the construction work was done and then we'd take a nap and then at night couldn't fall asleep until really late and this was the cycle our whole time there. Also, and this really upset us- the construction crew came in our rooms!!!! My shoes were lined up by the door and they were all dusty with saw dust and the window was a crack open so we know they were in there because it was shut tight when we left for lunch- on our first day there we checked in and then had lunch at the Zimmer Cafe which is across the street and is awesome and then came back to the room and noticed that they had been in our room and we immediately notified the front desk and brought down some of my shoes that were covered in saw dust and they said they'd tell the manager and tried to blame the maids, but I don't know why the maids would open the balcony door when we were told that no one was allowed to open the balcony door as the construction was practically on our balcony and our room was already clean anyway because we just checked in. My boyfriend was planning to propose on another night during our 4 night stay but because of this he was forced to propose that first night because he was nervous to hide the ring in our room since construction workers were coming into our room!!! and he couldn't put the ring in the safe because I would notice. The proposal was still amazing but I know he was a little upset with this. Also, the wi fi was down for three of four nights and because of it we were unable to plan a day trip because we were waiting on one or two days before to see if we were up for it and then we couldn't get on our computer because the wi fi was down and the computer at the hotel always had a wait since no one could use their wi fi. The hotel staff was nice but there are many hotels with nice staff and they weren't exceptionally helpful. The hotel is in a good location but really you can take the metro anywhere and we just took cabs at night so it didn't really matter. I'm bummed that I didn't listen to my fiance and get a hotel by the Eiffel Tower because while it's a little out of the way of everything you can get many hotels with great views of the Eiffel Tower, much cheaper than this hotel with much bigger rooms (I've stayed in this section many times before and thought it would be better to stay by the Louvre this time but the grass is not always greener!) and nice and helpful staff and you just take the metro and cabs at night if you want. I would never stay here again but I'm happy that we were able to make the best of it and our hotel in Germany by far made up for this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren T
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is an excellent find in Paris. The location is absolutely excellent. I had a meeting at the Centre Pompidou and it was literally a 5 minute walk. The River Seine and Notre Dame is even closer. The neighbourhood is excellent for sightseeing and lots of bars and restaurants within the immediate neighbourhood - whilst the hotel is in a relatively quiet location.

It is a small boutique hotel with great character and old-world charm. The front desk staff who initially greet you are extremely friendly and made me feel at home right away. I had a reserved a single room, but was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room; including a very comfortable double bed. The single room I had was on the top floor. The bathroom was a good size and thankfully the shower was large for a single room.

I have to return to Paris next month and will most definitely return here - it was very good value, friendly, homely and very comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank badger36
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and found this to be everything we could hope for.

The location is outstanding- 1 minute from Chatelet Metro station (straight from Airport), 1 minute to the Seine and the Conciergerie, 10 minutes of delightful strolling to Notre Dame, the Louvre, Hotel de Ville, Forum des Halles, a few more minutes and you would be in St Germain. In the street around the corner are two exceptional restaurants and an excellent bakery/cafe, and Rue Rivoli is filled with wonderful HIgh Street shops such as Sephora and Zara. You really could not ask for better.

The staff are very helpful and polite with excellent English, which was very reassuring as my French is rather mediocre! They were available all times of day or night, arranging taxi transfers to the airport as the RER line was closed for works, letting us in at 3am on our return from the wonderful Nuit Blanche, keeping the hotel spotless and welcoming. At time of booking, they sent several emails, answering all our questions and being very thorough. On arrival, we found flowers, fruit and a personalised anniversary card waiting for us- a lovely touch. I would describe them as subtle and that is how I like my hotel staff to be- no pushy sales or bustling going on. Room service is available until midnight (we didn't use this service), tea and coffee and water are in your room with compliments, and there is a mini bar too.

The hotel is a typical Parisienne townhouse- yes, it is compact, but we have stayed in much smaller rooms in Paris previously. The public areas are charming- warm, comfortable, intimate. The lift is small but my husband, our suitcase and myself all fitted in without problems. The staircase has a runner of carpet in the middle of gorgeous, ancient dark parquet. At night, a hurricane lantern with candles adds to the welcome on your way up. The guests of days gone by have worn the stairs to lean in towards the handrail and each floor has a quaint but useful oak bench seat built in. You really can feel the history of the building, which is lovely. Our room, No. 46, was one of the largest on the floor, with large bed, a small desk, Flat screen TV on the wall, a chair, a decent wardrobe and a compact but perfectly functionable bathroom (bath over shower). The decor was warm and elegant, the room spotlessly clean and it had one of the comfiest beds I have slept in away from home. There is a safe, a 'proper' hairdryer and the Annick Goutal organic toiletries are lovely. There were blackout blinds and airconditioning, making for a very comfortable stay. Our room faced the rear of the hotel and there was absolutely no noise from outside at all.

Breakfast is expensive at 14 Euros per head, but we opted to have it on our last day and there was a good choice, cereals, scrambled eggs, breads, meat, cheeses, spreads, juices, hot drinks and of course croissants! It was kept well stocked right to the end of service, but I would eat out from preference, just because of the cost.

A wonderful, romantic and comfortable stay in a magical city.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are very peaceful
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a small quaint hotel with some nice attributes including location but probably only just acceptable value.
Rooms are small and noise from adjoining rooms can be easily heard. No room service but they will serve a drink in the basement lounge if requested, this is small but has a nice plush decor and seats. The lift is possibly the smallest you will ever come across!
Close to metro for CDG train and some great restaurants within 100 meters or so. Skip the in-house breakfast and go around the corner.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back higher up will have less street noise but be prepared to use the stairs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The location is fantastic with many restaurants near by. The rooms are comfortable but the showers are tricky and small. Rooms with showers face the street. The front of the building is under renovation The front desk is understaffed and information given by the staff is not entirely reliable especially regarding the availability of taxis. I agree that I would probably choose a different hotel on a return trip to Paris.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends