The hotel is a good choice and a five star rating for the following reasons:
1) The rooms are very nice. I am staying in the room now and will be here for 8 days. Previous reviews talk about the room being small. By American standards yes, by French standards, the rooms are normal. We have a king size bed, refrigerator, desk, a nice Toshiba LCD flatscreen TV, a well sized bathroom, ample closet space and managed to stack three suitcases on top of each other to get them out of the way. The rooms have tall ceilings and windows. More importantly, the rooms have air conditioning which can be important in the summer. Take note: all king sized beds are not the same size in Europe. You have to check the size. At the hotel Britannique, the king size bed is the same size as in the United States. The bed is as comfortable as the Westin beds. I liked the Westin beds so much, I bought one. Usually, hotel beds are not as comfortable as my bed at home. This one is and that is a big deal. After traveling form the USA and fighting jet lag, you will enjoy a great night’s sleep.
2) There are multiple restaurants, shops and a metro stop (Chatelet) which is close by. You are a half block from Rivoli Street. Notre Dame was a short walk. The Louvre and Musee D’Orsay is two stops (on the Metro) away. There is a grocery store two blocks away. The location is great. I analyzed several hotels based on a king bed, air conditioning, location and the tradeoff of price. This hotel was my first choice and from staying here, I can attest to this being a good choice.
3) Service. Here is my observation of Paris in general. A) Make an attempt to say Bonjour or Bonjour, ca va (how are you). If you do not jump in to your issue but take the time to establish a greeting, the Parisians are more receptive. Also, don’t crowd their space. They like to have 2-3 feet of space. OK, having said this, I found the people at the front desk to be accommodating where they can. When I asked for directions to something, they looked it up on the computer, gave me a printout or carefully explained how to get there. I found the service to be very good.
4) Hint: if you book a bed with a certain bed, you will be guaranteed that room. If you want a room on a specific floor or if you want a balcony (those rooms are limited) you need to book (and get a reservation) for that specific room number. If they do not assign you a room number in advance, you are not likely to get your preference for a balcony or particular view.
5) In terms of price, I thought it was in line with hotels offering similar amenities. The hotel provides free WiFi. This was a big deal for me as I brought my iPhone and my laptop. I used the WiFi every day.
6) The romance package – Yes: If you are considering the romance package and are not quite certain, I would do it. We did. First, we came into the room and there were rose petals in the shape of a heart on the pillows and bed. There were rose petals on the sink, night stands and tray of fruit. A nice presentation and a welcome sight after traveling for a day. The fruit tray was fresh and we enjoyed not having to “look” for fruit on the first day. The package includes a small tin of chocolate and a half bottle of champagne. Both were very good. This was a nice
7) Some people talked about noise from across the street. We face the street on the third floor and there are three restaurants across the street. Most people in Paris take their dinner between 8-11 PM. So, there is noise when the windows are open. However, when we close the windows and turn on the air conditioning, I cannot hear any of the noise. This is even more important in the morning when the traffic begins and I want to sleep in while I adjust to the new time zone.
8) All in all, I highly recommend this hotel for the reasons listed above. I have been to Paris four times and this is my first time at the Hotel Britannique. I will stay here again on my next trip to Paris.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Britannique in its present location, dates from 1860, in an impressive building built in the time of Napoleon III. The cosy and lush decoration of the hotel recalls the 19th century English and French styles. Being recently renovated, the hotel offers an old world style with all the comforts of modern times. All 39 of the hotel's rooms have a private ensuite bathroom, international television, high-speed wi-fi access, a courtesy tray, a minibar, a bathrobe, luxury welcome products....The reception is also there to generously welcome you 24/7 and to make sure that your Parisian stay is a success. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Britannique reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.