“Good Value - Good Location - I recommend this hotel”
Review of Hotel Britannique

Hotel Britannique
Ranked #146 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel is a good choice and a five star rating for the following reasons:

1) The rooms are very nice. I am staying in the room now and will be here for 8 days. Previous reviews talk about the room being small. By American standards yes, by French standards, the rooms are normal. We have a king size bed, refrigerator, desk, a nice Toshiba LCD flatscreen TV, a well sized bathroom, ample closet space and managed to stack three suitcases on top of each other to get them out of the way. The rooms have tall ceilings and windows. More importantly, the rooms have air conditioning which can be important in the summer. Take note: all king sized beds are not the same size in Europe. You have to check the size. At the hotel Britannique, the king size bed is the same size as in the United States. The bed is as comfortable as the Westin beds. I liked the Westin beds so much, I bought one. Usually, hotel beds are not as comfortable as my bed at home. This one is and that is a big deal. After traveling form the USA and fighting jet lag, you will enjoy a great night’s sleep.

2) There are multiple restaurants, shops and a metro stop (Chatelet) which is close by. You are a half block from Rivoli Street. Notre Dame was a short walk. The Louvre and Musee D’Orsay is two stops (on the Metro) away. There is a grocery store two blocks away. The location is great. I analyzed several hotels based on a king bed, air conditioning, location and the tradeoff of price. This hotel was my first choice and from staying here, I can attest to this being a good choice.

3) Service. Here is my observation of Paris in general. A) Make an attempt to say Bonjour or Bonjour, ca va (how are you). If you do not jump in to your issue but take the time to establish a greeting, the Parisians are more receptive. Also, don’t crowd their space. They like to have 2-3 feet of space. OK, having said this, I found the people at the front desk to be accommodating where they can. When I asked for directions to something, they looked it up on the computer, gave me a printout or carefully explained how to get there. I found the service to be very good.

4) Hint: if you book a bed with a certain bed, you will be guaranteed that room. If you want a room on a specific floor or if you want a balcony (those rooms are limited) you need to book (and get a reservation) for that specific room number. If they do not assign you a room number in advance, you are not likely to get your preference for a balcony or particular view.

5) In terms of price, I thought it was in line with hotels offering similar amenities. The hotel provides free WiFi. This was a big deal for me as I brought my iPhone and my laptop. I used the WiFi every day.

6) The romance package – Yes: If you are considering the romance package and are not quite certain, I would do it. We did. First, we came into the room and there were rose petals in the shape of a heart on the pillows and bed. There were rose petals on the sink, night stands and tray of fruit. A nice presentation and a welcome sight after traveling for a day. The fruit tray was fresh and we enjoyed not having to “look” for fruit on the first day. The package includes a small tin of chocolate and a half bottle of champagne. Both were very good. This was a nice

7) Some people talked about noise from across the street. We face the street on the third floor and there are three restaurants across the street. Most people in Paris take their dinner between 8-11 PM. So, there is noise when the windows are open. However, when we close the windows and turn on the air conditioning, I cannot hear any of the noise. This is even more important in the morning when the traffic begins and I want to sleep in while I adjust to the new time zone.

8) All in all, I highly recommend this hotel for the reasons listed above. I have been to Paris four times and this is my first time at the Hotel Britannique. I will stay here again on my next trip to Paris.

Room Tip: There are many great cafes within a block of the hotel to have coffee and a breakfast roll in the mo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Executive_in_Jeans

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was married in early June and my new wife and I honeymooned in Paris and stayed at Hotel Britannique for eight wonderful nights. I planned our honeymoon last November. When it came time to decide where to stay, I found about 10 properties that would have worked for us. My fiance/wife then selected HB. She like the photos of the hotel and was really drawn to its central location.

We arrived CDG about 8am, easily caught the RER B to downtown (Les Ha lles), and then we walked the short distance underground to a Chatelet exit. We were lucky in that the exit we took brought us up very near the hotel. Our room wasn't ready but we were allowed to leave our luggage in a room opposite the check-in desk. We were told to come back in two hours. We used that time to walk over to Notre Dame. It's a very short walk. After our two hours of exploring, we checked in to our room.

I had requested a room w a king-sized bed, a shower instead of a tub, a balcony, and a higher floor. We got three of the four. In didn't notice balconies on the higher floors. We were assigned room 22 and really enjoyed it. As many have said in other reviews, the rooms are small. They are but this location makes up for that small inconvenience. Our king bed took up most of the floor space. But the lower floor made those elevators rides shorter. And the elevator is tiny. Tiny. When we checked in, I put my wife and the luggage in the elevator and then I walked up to meet her. My wife loved the balcony despite most of the days we spent there being overcaste and threatening rain. She ate breakfast out there when she could. We ate a few light lunches out there as well. Several of our days there we came back mid-day to drop off purchases and then sat on the balcony to rest tired feet and to plan our next excursion.

I cannot say how enough about how convenient the HB's location is. It is a great jumping off point to all of Paris. Underneath the hotel is the Metro system with four lines that you can access. One line takes you to the Louvre - I think only two stops away. On the same line in the other direction is the Bastille stop (3 stops away). We had a great time at a Market there on a Sunday. Bought a lot of great stuff. Pashminas, homemade yogurt, sea salt, herbs, samples of cheese, treats, and more. But beware, I wasn't minding all of my bags and one was stolen - the one with the most expensive purchases. Live and learn.

The Pompidou Center is a 10 minute walk away. Lots of restaurants in close walking distance. We just walked til we saw something that attracted, checked out their board out front for their formulae meal (most all Parisian restaurants have chalk boards in front advertising a complete meal, usually a salad, an entree, and a dessert). We ate at many places all over Paris and grabbed good meals for 11-18 euros a plate.

The Louvre is in walking distance. We started or ended many of our days walking across the bridge, which is minutes away from the HB door. Walking south takes you past the entrance to St. Chappelle, which always had long long lines. We never got in. Continuing on ND is on your left. You then will reach the left bank and the St. Michael area. Underneath is the RER C, which is a 1.70 euro ride to the Eiffel or a 7.40 euro ride to Versailles. Go any direction in the St. Michael area and you'll find a seemingly endless number of places to eat. Just wander around to see what appeals.

Around the corner from the HB is a nice pastry shop. We got breakfast there every morning. We liked everything we bought and we bought a variety. We supplemented our breakfast from a Franprix store a few blocks west of HB. They've fresh produce, less expensive sodas, Euro chocolate, cheese, cookies, and much more.

The staff at HB were wonderful. Any question we had, they were immediately ready to find an answer. They were always cheery and helpful. My wife loved the candles that were in our room and asked where they were bought. No one knew until they asked one of the maids. We asked about a shop we had difficulty finding and theyn got on the internet to find it. And then explained the unique street numbering system in Paris that explained why we were so near but couldn't find this store earlier.

HB is in a rather busy area. You'll see that as soon as you walk 100 yards away in any direction. But the street is a haven from all that noise and bustle.

Our bathroom was smallish but it had what we needed. Thank goodness for a hot shower each morning. The bed was compfy and we slept well. Paris was a bit cold during our stay for my wife. We got extra blankets out to throw on her while I was a bit warm.

I did purchase the Romance package and it was a great hit with my wife. The fruit basket was delcious as were the chocolates in the small heart-shaped tin. The roses were nice and stayed fresh almost they entire length of our trip. And they had spread artificial rose pedals all over the rest of the room.

It was nice to have a small safe in the room.

I drug my laptop to Paris, thinking we'd use it to check on things at home and maybe look up some tourist info. You need to get a login and password at the desk. My macbook wouldn't resolve websites. I figured it was a bad connection. We both had our iphones and so I got logins and passwords for both of them. And then we were in business. Both worked great for checking email and doing a few internet searches. Remember to put your phone on airplane mode before leaving the states. Guarantees you don't rack up weird phone charges.

Maid service was prompt and thorough. Our room was always done when we came back my noon. We did notice some early morning noise from the next guestroom. Loud talkers. But no real complaints at all with our stay.

I highly recommend the Hotel B to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 22. The elevator is slow and tiny. I walked up the two flights of stairs many ti...
8  Thank fallfan54
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We spent three nights at Hotel Britannique at the start of our trip to France, and then a final night at the tail-end of our trip, and we loved this place. It's in a great location. Very close to Ile de la Cite and the Chatelet metro stop. The staff were all very nice and all spoke English well. They upgraded us to a room with a king bed, and they were nice about letting us leave our luggage when we first arrived. The rooms were smallish, but not uncomfortable, and the beds were nice. They had feather pillow options, too. The breakfast was great---eggs, sausages, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, croissants, etc. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GaryJWhitehead
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were not very pleased with the Britannique for our 4 days in Paris. Our room was very tiny -- cozy is too kind a term. Our room was on the 1st floor, which meant a struggle with luggage up the stairs. The location, however, is excellent -- one can walk to the Louvre and Notre Dame and the bustling neighborhood has many cafes and bars. Also close to the Chatelet metro station. The day staff were somewhat distant and uninterested in providing much assistance, while the night person was very helpful.

Room Tip: Check out the size of the room -- don't depend on photos.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Francescacat
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I'm still in a bit of awe. The location is perfect! Walking distance from Louvre and other great places. The rooms are just gorgeous, nice and clean. The staff was very, very nice. I had paid extra for the "romantic package", since I was there with my wife, and it was our first time in France... it was a bit expensive, but it was worth it - the room looked so sweet, with hearts, roses everywhere. The only minor culprit you will run into is that the rooms are not ready until 2pm - but you can leave your luggage in the special room. So what do you do? Take a walk down streets of Paris! Unforgettable experience. Would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Mikhail B
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our first trip to Paris recently. The staff is very friendly, and the hotel is in a great location, walking distance to Notre Dame, Louvre and the beautiful Ile St. Louis neighborhood. The rooms were smaller than I expected them to be, based on the pictures online, but all in all it was a good experience. Wi-Fi in the room was very helpful! I would stay here again and I recommend this hotel to others.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

My first holiday to Paris was made so much better by staying at Hotel Britannique, the central location (short walk to Notre Dame, the Louvre and Left Bank) and leafy beautiful street with many great restaurants was perfect. The double room was not large but beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The staff were very helpful with maps and directions, which in Paris is rare (especially in English). Breakfast was delicious, the guest lounge was beautiful and a great place to relax and unwind with a drink at the end of the day and mix with the other guests (at the time mostly Americans). Will definately return and recommend to others.

Room Tip: I had two rooms, one facing the street overlooking the trees and the other at the back looking onto...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends