“Perverse rip-off”

Ranked #691 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
New Orleans
“Perverse rip-off”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My daughter and I met in Paris for my 50th birthday. We had a beautiful hotel on the Champs d for a week but needed a hotel for 2 days on the top end and 4 days at end . Well this was the 2 day. I found on your site and was encouraged by the good review. We checked in sick from a toxic flight and we were given this. Too tired to argue we collapsed and tried to sleep though the construction ,you name it hell. I have a bad track record arguing for a better room in France so I just chalked it up for uncomfortable mistakes not to repeat. When we were checking out I showed the woman,owner my photograph #1 and said I don't remember seeing this view in your brochure. At this she told me it was obviously my mistake for not insisting on a better room,we all know how far that can get you in Paris, to which I replied it was my fault that you gave me an extremely crappy room. She chased my down the street screaming at me. I don;t think I will return. Nightmare.

Room Tip: Pray really hard
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelerDavis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Perth WA
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel. We picked it because of its location as we were travelling on Eurostar. Negatives - small room & limited breakfast. Positives - good location, good price, nice cafes nearby, close to Sacre Coeur and the city, comfortable bed, clean bathroom. There were lots of small supermarkets nearby for that important snack. What more do you want! Overall an enjoyable visit to Paris - still an iconic city to visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lamlim13
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed here for three nights at the end of march 2011. The hotel is well located, barely used my metropass, although there are two stops close. Room was small by US standards, but adequate. My biggest complaint was that $500 was stolen from my things during my stay. Use their safes or reception for you valueables!

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I stayed here on 23rd Feb for one night with my husband as we were attending a trade show. We arrived at about 10 am off an early flight and our rooms were not ready. However they stored our bags and when we got back to the hotel later the bags were in our room. The room was small but we expected that and the bathroom was quite spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had everything you needed. Plenty of hot water with no cold spots which can happen at peak times in my experience. My only complaints would be the size of the towels which were tiny and the shower curtain smelt a bit. The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful and recommended a restaurant around the corner - Papillion. We went there and had a superb meal and once again were greeted by very friendly, warm and welcoming staff. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank Jankesey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2011

have just returned from a lovely stay at this beautiful hotel. after a a long trek we was politley greeted at the reception desk and promptley shown to our room. our french wasnt to great but they was more than helpful.
the hotel throughout was modern and clean. yes the room was small but this is expected your in paris! it was modernly decorated spotlessly clean. exactuley what i was hoping for.
we also had breakfast included and this was a great way to start the day of exploring. the waitress was just as helpful as all the other staff, really a lovely lady.
its location was great within 2 mins walk to the cadet meto station, and from this you was able to reach all over paris (buy a mobillis ticket at machine) this is their version of day pass and gets u everywhere in paris.
the only negative of which there was only 1 is that if you are an extremely light sleeper, there was quite alot of noise in the evening both outside and in such as doors shuting and toilets flushing.
i rely alot on tripadvisor reviews when bookin pretty much all my holidays and yes it does sound to good to b true but this generally was a wonderful stay in a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lbailey89
Manchester
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed at the Anjou Lafayette for one night during July. The weater in Paris that day had been comfortably warm but the hotel room was un-comfortably HoT. The room did cool down quite quickly, once i'd opened the window and turned on the air-con but, as i couldn't use these overnight, it soon heated up again; so much so that i had a fairly restless nights sleep.
But that was the only down-side of the Anjou. The location is excellent - very near to a metro station and about 5 minutes walk to Gare du Nord. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the whole place was clean, tidy and nicely decorated.
Overall, i would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank twistedwheelnut
Tallahassee, FL USA
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Renovated within the last year or two. Both the small lobby area and the room were modern and very clean. This was truly an excellent value for this location in Paris at $150/night through hotels.com. The room was small by American but not European standards, but large enough for a queen bed, two bedside tables, chest, arm chair, desk and chair, and wardrobe. A little tight walking around the bed, but no problem. The bathroom was small but quite functional with a vanity and a tub and shower. Everything was absolutely clean and modern. Complementary wireless Internet. I had Internet problems which turned out to be with my computer settings and not their system, but the evening desk attendant (Friday, June 11, in the event management reads this) went out of his way and spent a great deal of time trying to help me resolve the problem. All of the staff were very cordial and helpful.

The hotel is on a very quiet short street (almost an alley) just off Rue Lafayette, a major thoroughfare. It is about 1.5 miles from Ile de la Cite, but busses stop almost at the hotel and the metro is less than 2 blocks in either direction. Using public transit, you can get anywhere in Paris conveniently. We even walked one night from Sainte Chapelle back to the hotel. The neighborhood is very good with an abundance of reasonably priced eating choices from Macdonalds to pizza to a nice restaurant just across the street. I cannot comment on the hotel breakfast as we did not try it.

I have only one complaint: The bathroom towels were extremely stiff, not soft, and some were a bit ragged.

Would I stay here again. Absolutely. If I could get a similar rate on a future visit, I wouldn't even look anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple