“Convenient but no Air Conditioning”

Hotel Vaneau Saint Germain
Ranked #611 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A basic 2.5 star hotel. I was a single traveler staying in a single room. Very comfortable bed, clean, reasonably sized room (for Paris), well appointed but somewhat run-down. Cable-based internet worked great. Polite 24hr front staff, all of whom spoke English. There is a bike share station in front of hotel, which is also is directly over a metro stop (Vaneau) in a somewhat residential neighborhood that is not bustling with tourists and yet a reasonable walking distance from the river and other interesting sites in the area. For my taste the immediate area was a bit dead but with good access to the city in general. My main complaint was with the apparent lack of air conditioning. I stayed for 1 week in early August when the temperatures were 28-30°C, and my room (not on the upper floors) was very warm. While opening the window helped, the hotel is on a busy street. As a result, quality sleep was impossible. Overall I felt the hotel was overpriced, especially for one lacking WLAN and air in summer that I would not recommend to friends. Luggage storage was not secure. Note: As of August 2012, there was a major construction project (renovation/construction of a hospital? complex) on the entire adjacent block which contributed significantly to the noise in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: From what I understand, upper floors are not serviced by the elevator, and Rue de Sevres is busy (no...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dresdoni
There are newer reviews for Hotel Vaneau Saint Germain

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Overall, for a 3* hotel in a nice Paris location, this is a good deal. However we encountered a number of problems. Firstly, on arrival, our reservation could not be found by the desk clerk who then told us that the hotel was fully booked and there was no room available for us even though we showed him the printed confirmation of our 3-day stay. Even more irritating was the fact that I had emailed the hotel the previous day to reconfirm our reservation and let them know our anticipated arrival time, which they claimed not to have received. Finally, after about an hour, we were given a room (504) which appeared fine. However, upon using the toilet, we discovered there was no cold water supply which made it unusable. The desk clerk came up to see but was unable to remedy and told us it would be fixed in the morning and meantime to use the public lavatory downstairs. Our room was on the 5th floor (lift only goes up to the 4th floor) and the downstairs facilities were in the basement - this meant going down 6 floors in the middle of the night - totally unacceptable when paying for private facilities, a wasted first evening and a ruined night with the uncertainty of the situation. Next morning, after talking to the receptionist, she gave us the key to another room so that we could have temporary washing/bathing facilities. Later that morning we were told that our room should not have been allocated - the hotel was in the process of renovation and many rooms were out of use - and we were given Room 506 which was absolutely fine.

Having said that, we were very satisfied with our two additional days, everything in the room worked well - wifi, aircon, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, bathrobes, etc. and I am sure once all the renovations have been completed the hotel will be most desirable.

At checkout, however, no offer of reduction was made for the first night's inconvenience and when we suggested such would be appropriate the receptionist appeared most surprised that we should even think of it. Eventually we were offered "free" breakfast which we did not want or "maybe some discount on a future stay" - both were, in my opinion, a joke. She said she did not have the authority to offer more and when I suggested talking to a manager none was available. When I asked for a name so that I could write or email I was told to simply email the hotel - this would probably be a waste of time since they claim they did not receive the email mentioned above regarding reconfirmation of the booking.

I appreciate that mistakes happen, what I do not appreciate is total lack of concern and customer service. My friend and I are both elderly, going down 6 floors in the middle of the night to use a toilet is unacceptable and we did not get what we paid for.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Rue Vaneau should be quieter than the ones overlooking the Rue de Sevres. The two...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andree F
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My adult daughter joined my husband and me in Paris. Our room had a king size bed plus a twin so we were all very comfortable. The room was air conditioned which was nice during a few hot days in July. A Metro stop was just a few steps from the door with good connections to all the major attractions. There was plenty of room for the three of us and our luggage, the room and bathroom were clean and the bedding was fresh and very nice.

Room Tip: Room 105 was great for 3 adults.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

In the first place, Vaneau is quite the distance from the center of Paris (the tourist spots). The rooms are small. 2 people wont be able to move the same time together... The rooms were thankfully clean with good toiletries provided.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank cheska g
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I spent only one night in hotel vaneau, didn’t have breakfast there but I stayed bedroom 105, first floor and was quiet all night. Bedroom was pleasant, bed was really comfortable, possibility to make coffee or tea in the bedroom. I just missed the iron.
Staff was not plaisant at all when I arrived. It was 12am, check in was at 2pm and I was told it was too early in a very bad way. I complained to another member of the staff later and my complaint seemed to be something they had heard before. Other than that Hotel vaneau is a good address to keep. Good value for the area and just few metres from metro station.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Typically compact French hotel that is on the very outskirts of St Germain. The rooms are small but do offer many of the facilities that you seldom get in a Frech 3 star hotel. So Tea/coffee making, mini bar, gown etc. The hotel is generally tired looking on the verge of being quite dirty looking, also smells of damp in many parts! The hotel is close to a couple of metro stations and next door to a bar/restaurant. Staff are friendly and helpful and breakfast available but did not use myself. Bit of a building site in the surrounding area so quite noisy from early moring.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I am sorry I have to stay 2 more nights... I understand that when a hotel is old it does't look as good as a new one, but with this one it's just a matter of lack higene. If a place is a bui less visible it was never cleaned, like for instance behind the heaters or the sink or above the lamps.

1  Thank Scdc18