“Very disappointing experience. This hotel is not worth the price they are asking at all!!! Never again!!!”
Review of Atlantic Hotel

Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #267 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Antibes
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed for two nights and couldn't sleep AT ALL!!!! The mattresses are VERY UNCOMFORTABLE and the pillows as well!!!! No feather pillows of course!!! Everything is cheap!!! But not the room price. The walls are thin like paper. I could hear every noise from the room next to me and also the doors closing and opening from the other rooms. At two o'clock in the morning two women started chatting and laughing for at least an hour. I had an important appointment the next day and was totally exhausted after not being able to sleep all night. The size of the room was A LOT SMALLER then what it was shown on the pictures. The pictures don't show the real size of the room at all!!!! The room is very small!! The stuff is kind of arrogant (but the french are known for that, so it wasn't a big surprise to me). The only really friendly person was the man who works the night shift. The breakfast is more then average. The only positive in this hotel is that the rooms were clean and the hotel is not too far from the metro station St. Lazare. There is also a VERY GOOD and low priced restaurant about 5 minutes from there called BOURGOGNE Sud which I can really recommend.

Room Tip: Don't go there AT ALL!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank bluemartha55
FRANCOIS S, Responsable réception at Atlantic Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest,

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel and we do apologize.

We are quite surprised about the incomfort of the mattresses as most of our guests like it. Concerning the feather pillows in order to prevent any allergy we provide hypoallergenic pillows.

We are really sorry that you have not been able to sleep due to the noise of some other guests but you should have called the Reception desk and we would have contact them to ask to make less noise.
It is sad you did not report this problem to the Reception on the next morning as we could have check with the other guest and propose you as well to change room if you wanted.

We do have different room type and the size is depending of the room category. A classic room is smaller than a deluxe room and on our website you have a picture of every room type. You may be booked not the room type you wanted?

We are sorry to read that you found some of our receptionnist arrogant but that you have appreciated their restaurant suggestion.

As you mentioned, the hotel is in a good location and our rooms are well maintained and clean. We do everything to keep it that way.

We apologize again about your experience you had with us. If you have any suggestions or questions, we stay at your diposal and the entire team wishes to see you again this year.

Kindest Regards,

Philippe Schleret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dubai
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights split across a 1 week period.
The first night was room 610 and the next 3 nights were in room 588.
General feedback is very positive
1) It’s a very convenient business hotel as there is a St. Lazare metro exit just across the hotel. Plus the Roissy Airport bus is a 10 min walk. On the map Opera and Galleries Lafayatte seemed very far but I was pleasantly surprised.
2) Both my rooms were spacious enough – 610 is much bigger and had a shower. I personally prefer shower stalls to bath tubs. 588 was a bit smaller with a bath but enough to run through my morning exercise routine.
3) Internet – Good connectivity. I used VoIP and Skype to speak with family. Someone has complained the need to log on repeatedly but that happens only if your device goes to sleep and you have to wake it up again. Quite normal in my opinion.
4) Breakfast – for 16 Euros it falls short. My corporate rate of 170 Euros included the breakfast so I can’t complain. If you have the choice, then eat outside.
5) Restaurants – there are TONS of restaurants around. I ate at the Train St Lazare across the street and would recommend it if you are alone.
6) English staff – Overall good things to say about the front staff. My French is passable but either ways they speak English. Nicolas was great help for helping me with a temporary adapter
7) elevator - it is modern but small enough for 3 ppl to start feeling uncomfortable if you don't arrive at your destination quickly.
8) Linen and beds - I loved that the rooms had 4 pillows and a good quality mattress.

There is no swimming pool or gym but then that is why it is a 3 star. There are a couple of other 3 stars along Rue d'Amsterdam as well and all similarly priced. I would recommend my company to put us here again.

If I were to visit Paris with my wife for a vacation, I might choose this hotel as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Siberian_in_Desert
FRANCOIS S, Responsable réception at Atlantic Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and appreciated the quality of our room, the internet access and our location.

Concerning our buffet breakfast we are surprised that you suggest to go outside as we thank it depends what do you expect for it. We agree with you that 16€ if you just want a coffee and a croissant it is expensive but you have to take in consideration all the items we are proposing.
If you prefer a light breakfast we propose our continental breakfast served in your room (with no extras fee) at 13€.

We are looking forward the pleasure to welcome you during your next trip to Paris.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel is next to St Lazare train station which makes for quick access to the train or metro. Neighborhood is really nothing special - honestly no decent restaurants in the area. The only "decent" place is Nirvana - an Indian restaurant on the Rue de Moscou. For those used to real Indian food, the dishes are decent but bland (so ask them to spice it up if you are used to a dish being hot/spicy) and expensive for what you get. But thats Paris.

Back to the hotel: being next to the train station, you can hear (feel!) the trains passing underneath ... if you are a light sleeper (I'm not), they continue past 1am and if you are on a lower floor, you will definitely feel/hear the rumble.

Rooms are uninspired but clean. Internet (not free) was slow. TV didn't work. Pillows were quite possibly the worst I've ever laid my head on and the mattress was springy (as in you can feel the springs). Sheets were nice and crisp. I will give them this: the bathroom was spotless.

No in-room iron. You have to get the key from reception then go to the 'ironing room.' Consdering they have the thing on lockdown, how much does a decent iron and board cost ? The one they have is very basic, no water reservoir so no steam. If you really like your clothes, you're better off wearing them wrinkled. Isn't that the latest trend anyways ?

Hotel staff are ok. Not overly friendly but helpful. The guy working the desk in the evenings (works the overnight shift) is the friendliest of the staff.

Do yourself a favor and skip their breakfast. Don't even bother going to look. Don't! Save yourself 15 (or was it 16?) euros and go across the street for a 1 euro expresso (if taken at the bar) and then to the bakery on the corner. The coffee was horrible, the orange juice from concentrate, and Walmart could do a better job of making their croissants. The owner of this hotel should take a walk over to the Hotel WO (5 mins away) and see how his very local competition puts the Atlantic's breakfast offerings to shame. Now THAT is a breakfast worth paying for (see my review).

So they recently renovated the lobby area. It's nice but I wonder why they couldnt have spent a little more and installed card access door locks on the doors to all their rooms. I'm not a fan of having to leave my key at the front desk every time I want leave the hotel.

Minibar - skip it. Walk out of the hotel, turn left, walk 5 mins up the Rue d'Amsterdam and you will find a small epicier (mini mart).

Taxi tip - holds true anywhere in Paris. If you call for/reserve a taxi, the taxi will start the meter running as soon as he gets the call. In other words, he will charge you to drive to the hotel to pick you up and if he shows up early and you're not waiting, well guess what ... the meters ticking. I arranged for a taxi @ 7am and I got into the taxi at exactly 7am with 14 euros already on the meter. Welcome to Paris.

You are better off flagging a taxi down. If its raining and everyone wants a taxi, that might be a little tough though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank this_global_traveler
FRANCOIS S, Responsable réception at Atlantic Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you for having shared with us your impressions about our hotel.

Nevertheless, We are sorry that your experience has not been entirely satisfactory. Your comfort is essential for us.

Regarding our district we are located in the heart of the 8th disctrict which is very central, close to the big departments stores, the Madeleine, the Opera house and 15 minutes by metro from the Champs Elysees.
We are behind St Lazare train station which is not the nicest part of the district but there is no problem of security.
Theres is many nice restaurants close by that we could have recommended you if you have asked to our receptionnist.
Like in all major cities there is metro and unfortunately we can not avoid it, but most of the time it is not disturbing your sleep.

Concerning our rooms we are sorry that you did not like its decoration but it takes all sorts to make a world.
Our pillows are hypoallergenic in order tor prevent any incovenient and we are sorry that you did not like it but there are all renewed frequently like the bed matress.
It might have helped us if you could have given us your room number in order to double checked and change it. But we are quite surprised as our hotel is well maintained.
The internet is totally free and you might have chosen not the right spot.

Regarding the iron and ironing board in the room we do not propose this service for security reason (fire and furniture burning) and for a space reason as it will occupy an important part of the wardrobe.
But you have the possibility to use our ironing room and we have noticed about steam iron.

We are surprised about your opinion on our breakfast as we are offering pure "arabicca" coffee, different sort of tea from a very well knowed trade, viennoseries made 100% butter from our baker and 4 different type of bread delivered every morning, fresh fruit salad, plain fruits and nature yogurts, fresh fruits, plums, different kind of cereals, 3 type of cheeses, ham, salami, boiled eggs and scrambbled eggs with bacon, orange and apple juices (100% from the fruits).

Looking the card access door locks we took good note of your opinion but we thank our system is more secure as we know who is coming and staying in the hotel instead of having no control with leaving any one enter in the hotel.

We sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to change your opinion in a next stay.

Best regards,

Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights (Aug '13) in 2 separate rooms for 5 people: my wife, myself and our three children: (21, 20,14) Most of the staff were very rude to us, especially in the dining area, either because we are Americans or because we don't speak french.

At breakfast they don't allow you to pour your own coffee so you must ask them or beg them, and they pretended like they didn't understand us. The server told us she spoke English and I asked her "may we have 2 coffees or cafes please" she shrugged her shoulders like she didn't understand me, after asking 3 times she finally said, "oh cafe?" I said yes. She said she'd get it for us. Ten minutes later she walked right past us with coffee and poured it for people whom she greeted as they just sat down (they just so happened to speak French and then she smiled and laughed and chatted with them. Then she walked passed us and said "oh, Ill get you your coffee. Ten minutes after that she finally brought it after we had finished eating and said "I need to see your room key" which I don't have a problem with but she didn't ask the french speaking guests, only us. She required us to show the room key every morning even though she remembered us. The staff ignored us EVERY morning at breakfast I am not exaggerating, and I never lost my temper with them, but we saw how they were very friendly toward the french speaking guests and rolled their eyes at us because we didn't french.

As for the breakfast it was ok: coffee, juices, croissants (delicious), bread, cheese, yogurt, cold cereals, milk. some kind of salami.

The one morning we had to leave very early to get a tour to the Normandy Beaches and we asked them if we could eat an early breakfast before they were open for b-fast but they had everything all set up and they told us NO we arent open yet. We then asked if we could just take some of the croissants to go and they told us NO again.

The elevator can only fit 1 person max w luggage or 2-3 without but we had to rub up against each other it to fit, the elevator was about 3'x3'.

The hotel, lobby and rooms were very nice and clean, although the rooms were slightly smaller than you'd find in a standard U.S. hotel room but easily large enough for 2 people in one room and 3 in the other. The rooms and bathrooms were always cleaned in the morning.

The hotel was located less than a 5 min. walk to the metro, the neighborhood seemed nice during the day but at night it didn't seem very safe, although we didn't have any problems, there were many sketchy-looking people outside the numerous bars between the hotel and the metro.

Another thing, we had to leave our room keys at the front desk whenever we left (which is a good idea) and we picked them up when we returned but the first night we came back and the front desk clerk (whom we never saw before) gave us our room key without asking for ID. They NEVER asked for ID any of the 6 days we were there, (except of course if we wanted coffee) so that means that another hotel guest who sees you leave your hotel room and exit the hotel can easily go to the front desk and ask for your room key and they will give it to them, and steal all of your valuables this wasn't very safe or comforting to us. Just to be clear, nobody stole anything from us at this hotel but it wouldn't take genius to figure out how to accomplish this.

The hotel has free wi-fi that worked well. We never watched the tv since we all had our laptops or ipads. We stayed on the 5th floor and I never heard any subway trains go underneath the hotel. Our rooms had air conditioners but they never get very cold. This wasn't a huge issue since the high temps were in the high 70's

One woman at front desk was gave us an attitude the first day, was actually assisted my wife in making a phone call, but the kitchen help was terribly rude to us and we did not feel welcome at all. They should re-train their staff. The problem is that in the U.S. our travel agent told us, "Don't worry about not being able to speak french because most of all the french people you will be dealing with all speak English", the problem is the french get very offended when we expect them to speak English. They don't seem to mind the fact that I spent close to $3,000 American dollars at their hotel but they roll their eyes at me when I ask for coffee.

As Americans, we just didn't feel welcome here and I WILL MAKE SURE I will tell our travel agent (who books numerous reservations to this hotel to her clients) to NEVER use this hotel again. They love our money but hate us. I'm sure I will get some half-*%@ response to this review saying otherwise but it took everything I had to not lose my cool with these people, I didn't want it to ruin our vacation. I always heard how rude the french are toward Americans and now I know that it is true, at least at this hotel it is.

Room Tip: Learn to speak french before you check in to this hotel otherwise the staff will be rude to you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank mcar658181
FRANCOIS S, Responsable réception at Atlantic Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear guests,

We are really sorry and surprised about your bad experience in our hotel, as this is the first time we have such an opinion.

Please be sure that we are american friendly and we are happy to welcome you. Besides most of our staff speaks and understand english.

Regarding the breakfast: We always ask which hot drink you would like as we think it is a better service to serve it to you.
We do as well simply ask to each guest their room numlber in order to know if it is included in your room rate or not.
May be the waitress did not ask it to the other couple as she was rememberd it.
We do apologise about the bad feeling our waitress gave to you but is is really sad you did not ask to speak to the manager as we could have done the necessary to apologise and make things right.

We are happy to read that you have appreciated all the others services of the hotel (rooms, comfort, internet access, quietness, cleaness).

We believe your reaction is excessive about the fact we hate American people and we love your money. As we do not think you should generalize the fact that because one of our waitress was rude by her attitude towards you all the staff was hating you.
Be sure that we do not accept this bad behaviour to our guests and we will fix it.

We are very sorry, we really are,you left our hotel with this bad feeling as we repeat again if you had talked to our manager we could have change your opinion.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed Friday to Sunday and found this hotel by chance online. The room we occupied was large, spacious, overlooking the road. Given the location the room was not noisy. The hotel was very clean and well presented, the breakfast was a great selection albeit expensive. Best hotel I've stayed in in Paris, staff very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jon T
FRANCOIS S, Responsable réception at Atlantic Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guests,
We thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Hoping to see you soon.
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked this hotel (May 27 to 29) through the tourist office at Paris Gare de l'est and were pleasantly surprised. It's near the St. Lazare Station and if you picked the right exit which goes through the multi-floor shopping complex, you'll end up right in front of the hotel entrance. It's one of the better 3-star hotels in Paris, or anywhere for that matter. We were given a very large room with two double beds on the first floor. Since the room faced the street we had to contend with some street noise although it wasn't too bad because we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. It was very clean throughout. The staff were friendly and quite accommodating. We skipped the somewhat expensive breakfast (16 euros) but that seems to the going rate anywhere during this period. Like most places, you can get your fill of a good, relatively cheap, breakfast around the hotel. If you're in a room on one of the higher floors and have some heavy luggage to carry, you better not be claustrophobic if you want to use the lift. Like many hotels in France, the lift is about the size of a coffin-for-two. Overall, I'd certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, try to get a room that isn't facing the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lenn831
FRANCOIS S, Responsable réception at Atlantic Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear guests,
We thank you for having choosen our hotel and we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.
Looking forward your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed Friday to Sunday at this quaint hotel and had the best time ever in Paris. Great well portioned room (and on-suite) Room overlooking the street, and in sight of St Lazare station entrance, the square and cafes on the corner. Good breakfast but a little pricey at 16 Euros each. Totally impressed with the cleanliness throughout and the overall service...... Great location, plenty of shopping, eating, and sight-seeing just steps away. With that said what more can you ask for… Brill .. Already recommended

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 751Flo2013
FRANCOIS S, Responsable réception at Atlantic Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guests,

We thank you for having choosen our hotel and we are happy to learn you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Your opinion is important for us.
Looking forward your next visit.