“Could have been much better”

Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Ranked #305 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersBronze level
USA
“Could have been much better”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I admit my preferences in hotels aren't the same as everyone else's may be but like most hotel guests I have a set of basic expectations that aren't much of a challenge for any hotel to meet.

1 - A clean room with everything in working order.
2 - A quiet room, decently furnished.
3 - A staff that provides the essential needs of any traveler (information, directions, recommendations)

On the basis of my subjective list of basic requirements this property misses the mark. By way of full disclosure I've stayed in this hotel before and unfortunately my first experience was not different from the last.

Where to begin? The room was not very clean (carpets dirty, furniture dirty) not to mention that it had a strange odor that was mildly irritating.

This particular room (#301) was on a very low level directly on the Champs, which means it was very noisy at all times with the sole exception of the time between 4:30 and 6 AM. I had specifically requested in both my reservation, and once again at check-in that I be placed in a quiet room. So much for asking. Also this particular room is not guest friendly as it is structured as a three floor room. The first floor (entry level) has the front door, the bathroom and the clothes closet. The second floor has the bed, two nightstands, a dresser, a television and a small chair. The third floor has a desk and chair, with a telephone. So bottom line if you need to use the bathroom it's down two flights of stairs. If you need to work at the desk it's up a flight of stairs. If you need something from the closet it's down a flight of stairs.

Did I mention that this room is noisy? well in addition to the noise it's also very bright due to the fact that there are bright lights just above the windows that illuminate the front of the hotel.

For the price they charge for this rom you'd expect it to at least have clean carpets but these were dirty.

Another bizarre aspect of this hotel is the television. It's not easily navigated, perhaps because there are no instructions available in any language other than French. Now this is truly amazing because I have stayed not only in numerous International Marriott properties but also in Hyatt, Hilton, Four Season's, etc. and all have multiple language menus. Even in culture poor America this is the case but not here. So naturally I called the guest assistance line and asked if there were any English instructions or English programs. The answer, a sweet and simple no. I'll attribute this to the prevalent arrogance of Parisians and make the assumption that this hotel is not compliant with Marriott standard protocols.

As far as the staff is concerned some were very helpful others were not. Generally speaking the females were helpful while males were about as pompous as you could expect to find anywhere in Paris.

As is the case with almost anyplace on the Champs prices here are ridiculous. As an example a Jameson and Water cost 20 euros. That beats any NYC hotel by at least $10. A cappuccino is 9 euros, boy there drinks must be made with some incredibly expensive ingredients.

I guess to sum it up this hotel and its staff isn't concerned with their guests as much as they are with themselves. If are looking for a hotel that is located on the Champs, which I'd describe as a cross between Bourbon Steer and Rodeo Drive, steeped in a city with a rich history then this is your place. On the other hand if you are looking for a pleasant experience in the midst of culture, fine dining and hospitality I suggest you try a hotel in the Opera district or the Louvre district because all you find here are overpriced, over arrogant Parisians in the center of a street carnival.

Room Tip: Ask at check-in what your rooms floor plan and location will be before you accept a room. Short of t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank P K
Guest R, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear P K,

We were truly concerned to learn that you had such bad impressions of your recent stay with us in Paris. Your feedback is important to us, so please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance.

Estelle

Email: estelle.hoglund@marriotthotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My first time in Paris, this hotel was top notch from the minute we were greeted at the door. The customer service was exceptional and they will acomodate any of your requests. The breakfast was complete with many choices. Beds are so comfy and if you can splurge, then ask for the champs elysees view. The hotel is very classy and upscale. Location is perfect for leisure on viewing Paris. The underground is very close by and hotel is walking distance to a few main attractions.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Excellent hotel, very clean, safe and classy. Amazing location on Champs Elysees... the concierge had 2 fantastic dinner recommendations, and they were wonderful in helping to arrange some flowers for my wife on Valentines Day. Friendly front desk staff, excellent breakfast buffet. Outstanding stay, not a bad word to say about this hotel. I'd definitely recommend it highly!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jrademan
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had a great experience with this hotel, Staffs are very friendly and helpful ! very convenient to major tourist landmarks. Great service !! The only downside was our room was small but it didnt bother us bec we are out of the room for the most part . Paris is one of the world best place to go to for vacation. This hotel is in the right heart of the main drag. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Naturally this hotel has a great location in the middel of Champs Elysee. The staff are efficient, but not overly friendly. The normal rooms are overlooking the atrium, nice and silent, but a view out would have been nice. For such a pricy hotel it is outragous that you have to pay close to €20 pr day for internet in the room. The room is spacious. For this price I rate it to be just ok standard. I booked the room through hotels.com and there should be no withdrawl to my creditcard before check in, but the Mariott called me and emailed me requesting my card info, this caused some stress since I was not sure if this was a scam. I made it clear that the deal was that there should be no withdrawl, they agreed to this, but did it anyway - very unprofessional handeling hence the low score on service..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pjusken
Guest R, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Pjusken,

Thank you for having taken your time to share your feedback on our hotel on TripAdvisor. We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our location, but sorry to read of your disappointment with our service. Our goal is to host each guest brilliantly, and I sincerely regret that we did not live up to your expectations.

If I may advice you to contact me directly with regards to your comments on the issues you experienced with your reservation. We have different procedures for different type of agency reservations. However, we only contact the guest if there is a problem with the reservation, such as missing information, in order to ensure that the reservation does not get automatically cancelled.

I hope to hear from you.

Tel: +33 (0) 1.53.93.55.00 Fax: +33(0) 1.53.93.55.75
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed in Jan 2014. The location is hard to beat and it's a comfortable hotel. You can see the Arc right outside the hotel. The hotel food and immediate area in general is really expensive even for Paris so for meals plan to go elsewhere in the city unless you want to splurge on food. The room was clean, but no view at all. Giving it 3 stars based on value. Although a wonderful location, the expense is high.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tammy C
Guest R, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Tam R,

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of the Paris Marriott Hotel Champs Elysées on TripAdvisor. We were all delighted to learn that you enjoyed our hotel and location!

It is true that our Deluxe and Superior rooms does not have a view of the Avenue des Champs Elysées. However, we do have rooms and suites overlooking the Avenue under our "View"- room category.

If I may be of any assistance to help you plan your next visit to Paris, please feel free to contact me directly.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel is in a perfect spot but we had a couple of glitches with room attendants. We expected more from this hotel. The managers were quick to make everything correct, but it still disappointed a bit.
The amenities were as expected. The restaurant and service was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Maureen C
Guest R, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Chère Madame Maureen C,

Thank you for having taken your time to share your impressions of your recent stay with us at the Hotel Marriott Champs Elysées.

If I may begin with thanking you for your kind review on our location, property and restaurant. Our restaurant team was absolutely delighted to read your kind feedback.
It is each department’s aim to achieve an impeccable standard of service, I was very sorry to learn that one of our departments fell short on this point. I thank you for letting us know of your disappointment during the time of your stay, allowing our managers on duty to take appropriate actions immediately.

Again, thank you so much for comments. We hope that you will keep good memories from Paris, and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me if I may be of any assistance to you.

Yours Sincerely,