“Nice Hotel but a bit pricy”

Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Ranked #320 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 15, 2008

My wife and I decided to take a two day holiday in Paris while staying in Amsterdam and we chose this hotel due to its location. It is listed as the only hotel actually located on the Champs Elysses. In fact, we found several.

The hotel was elegant in every respect and lived up to the Marriott line of superb service and quality accommodations. Unfortunately, as is often the case on vacation, we spent so little time in the hotel and or the room that it probably wasn't worth the expense.

We never even took advantage of any of the dining facilities in the hotel as the nearby sidewalk cafes were way too inviting to pass up in this delightful tourist city. The rooms came equipped with five pillows per bed and pillow top mattresses which were a wonderful touch. The bathrooms had both a shower and a bathtub (separate) which was also a nice touch but the water pressure left a lot to be desired.

All in all, no complaints but we probably wouldn't stay here again. Just too many nice hotels all in the same area and unless you're in Paris for some reason other than touristy, the hotel and the hotel room are both low on your list of things to do and see in Paris.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BillT2

Reviewed April 19, 2008

We used points to stay here, but the stay was excellent. As someone who travels a lot, I was not dissapointed with the hotel at all. The service was excellent, no stuffiness, and the concierge gave us many excellent recommendations to go and eat. Our favorite was the Pershing Hall, great food and hip atmosphere. The hotel is central to many major sites, very clean and nice rooms. I would also recommend the open air bus tours that start down the street at the bus stop. If you need anything stop at the MonoPrix a couple doors down.

Very Good, experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ckruger
Reviewed April 3, 2008

We used our marriott points to stay at this hotel for 6 nights and 7 days. It was everything i imagined and more. The location is about a 15 min walk from the eiffle tower, a 5 min walk from the arc, and 2 mins to a metro. The hotel staff is AMAZING... they were very accomodating, all spoke english, and helped us with everything we needed (reservations, maps, advice, taxis, etc). Like the previous poster, we were also told breakfast was included, BUT we had no problems when we checked out, the breakfast had already been taken off... and I must say the breakfast was AWESOME. Veal sausage, omlettes to order, every kind of fruit imaginable, bacon, quiche, you name it, it was there... a little steep at 29E but if its free its well worth it.

One gripe is that you have to pay for internet, its 10E for a one hour card, or 24E for a 24 hour card. If youre paying that much, i feel like internet should be included. Other than that everything about the hotel was perfect, and i would totally recommend it to everyone!!

I absolutly loved our stay there, and if we went back, I would not hesitate to stay there again with more points. The hotel can defintely be expensive if paying standard room rates though.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sticksandstones2223
Reviewed March 23, 2008

We used 90k Marriott Rewards points to book a 3-night stay here. We found the room to be large and spacious, which is not usually the norm for Paris. It seemed very, very American and lacked any sort of Parisian charm. But it was clean and the staff was generally helpful and courteous.

Please be aware of the breakfast situation. The buffet costs 29 Euros per person, which is extremely expensive with the current US$. We were told that breakfast was included by someone on the relations manager desk, and when we repeatedly enquired about the policy were consistently told, "breakfast is included with your room." Had we known if was not included, we would have happily had cafe au lait and a croissant at a local cafe. But we blindly forged ahead and ate in the restaurant each morning. A red flag (that we probably should have not ignored) was that we were asked to sign guest checks each morning, but were assured that "the charges would be removed at checkout."

Imagine our surprise at checkout when we were hit with a 174 Euro charge for 3 days of breakfasts for 2 guests! We disputed the charge and were given a very, very, very hard time by the desk clerk. Finally, after much debate, they agreed to remove the charges. But, the desk staff made us feel like we were criminals trying to cheat the system (which we were not).

Savvy travelers, do not make this same mistake, and next time, we'd probably stay over on the Left Bank in a boutique hotel in a more residential neighborhood.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SavvyNavigator
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Great if you want to be in the middle of everything, but we preferred the Renaissance Vendome better.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank TravelingRaider
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for our anniversary from Feb 13-21. We used all of my Marriott points saved up for over a year and it was worth every last one. Every aspect of this hotel was what you would expect from a hotel on the most expensive street in the world. We were treated like people paying for our room at every step. The staff was friendly and accommodating from the doorman, to the front desk, to the room service staff.

Check in was great. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We got an early check in at 11:00 and while I did ask for a high room, and was on the 3rd floor of 7. The size of the room was more than we expected. I have stayed in hotels all over Europe and I am used to the smaller rooms. The front desk staff remembered our name and nationality all week and were more than accommodating.

We took advantage of the breakfast buffet all week and the staff again did not disappoint. The only thing better was the food. The made to order omelets were a hit with the wife and I loved the pastries that are always better than anything found in America.

The maid service was quick and good. Being our anniversary, we stayed in bed late and the room was always made at the first opportunity. They also provide turndown service and a fresh rose every night.

I was so impressed with everything, I would pay the 400 Euro asking price on our next trip because of the location and the staff.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lib88
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We recently stayed at the Marriott for three days and had a wonderful time in a wonderful hotel in a wonderful city. Having prefaced my review with those remarks, given the price of the hotel - c. €400 per night, I feel that I can be somewhat more critical than I would ordinarily be.

The initial welcome was first class and the check in very friendly - except for the fact that some weeks before, when I had booked, I had specifically requested three simple things:
~ an early check-in if possible (11.30 am)
~ a high floor (quiet) room
~ a non-smoking room

Little effort ever appears to be made by Marriott to try and accomodate such requests. You cannot tell me that in a large hotel such as this, despite being allegedly full the previous night, the housekeeeper could not sign off one room by 11.30am. Instead, one is told to return at 3.00pm - the official earliest check in time. In Kempinski hotels, they make the effort.

My request for a high floor/quiet room was addressed by giving me a noisy room on the first floor, facing a back street, where each morning we were kept awake, firstly by revellers, and later by roadsweepers, refuse collectors etc. Double glazing and some thick curtains to muffle the sound would have helped.

My request for a non-smoking room was complied with, but an earlier email had advised me thet such rooms would be allocated on a first come - first serve basis on the day, WHY? when I have made such a request in advance?

The split level room was somewhat quirky but the bed was very comfortable. However,the room was so small that room service really struggled to find anywhere to place trays; what happened to the promised 'seating area and desk'?

The service throughout our stay, however, was most professional, efficient and exceptionally friendly.

Breakfasts both in our room and in the restuarant were excellent.

Lunch in the Piano bar was just about OK, but for €120.00, one would expect the fillet steaks to be tender and the chips not burnt. What I also didn't appreciate whilst eating my lunch, was a visitation by two flamboyant prostitutes, who lounged in the Piano bar whilst awaiting a call from their clients upstairs. They were obviously well known to the bar staff, who served, but noticeably did not charge them for their drinks, prior to being whisked off to the top floor for the afternoon. All very seedy and a little bit 'Hotel Babylon' for my tastes- and something that the management of the hotel should clamp down upon immediately - even though it may mean that they loose a few of their regular (rich) guests.

As I said, the above issues did not unduly detract from our enjoyment and we would certainly stay here again given the Hotel's great location, but I would not like to experience a repeat performance of the 'caberet'.

Perhaps Management would care to respond???

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business