“Great location, friendly staff but dirty and worn!”

Mercure Paris Tour Eiffel Grenelle Hotel
Ranked #1,117 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, friendly staff but dirty and worn!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel is literally right outside the Dupleix metro station, so it is a great base to explore the city from. The staff at the reception desk was very friendly and spoke excellent English.

The room was comfortable and actually had a double bed, rather than 2 single beds pushed together, which is rare in hotels! There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room, and free Evian water. WiFi is also available completely free of charge.

However the room itself had major signs of wear and tear. There were many stains on the wall, dents in the bath and chipped paint work on the cupboards. I dropped an earring on the floor, and when I went to retrieve it, I noticed how dirty it was under the bed. There were many crumbs, a whole crisp, a child's toy etc. Disgusting! It looked like it had never been hoovered!

The shower wasn't great either, it would randomly turn freezing cold! And there was only one lift in the entire hotel, and this was used by the cleaners alot, so we frequently had to wait 5-10 minutes for the lift.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jaipur, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The breakfast at this property was not at all good. The rooms were nice and economical and the location was very good just in front of the metro station so it was very easy for us to travel. Staff was courteous and helpful. It is more of a business hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Not what you expected from Accor and Mercure brand.
My family and I were checking in and taking our luggages from our car at the car stop bay inside hotel premise, there are several men standing in that area and were eyeing us. One of them came inside the hotel asking maps from receptionist and few others making different moves. One approached me with a map he obtained from the hotel, one asking my brother for the time, and one apparently snatch my brother's bag from our car in front of an open lobby door, as he was busy taking out luggages, and the person that should be assisting us from the hotel (an older man/night guard/night reception officer) just watch us without any remorse. My brother lost his passport, wallet, bank cards, I pad. The amazing thing is that apparently such incident have happened several times, yet the hotel management did not do any security measures. They allow strange people to prey their target which are the hotel's guest, and they do not have any cctv. Note that this happened at around 9pm, so any hotel must be aware of strange men non hotel guests standing there for long period of time. Unless this is a scam of the night shift personnel?
I will never return to this hotel and discourage other travellers to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank AngelaSimatupang

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The room is of reasonable size, its the location - proximity to sunday market, cafes, station that attracted us. The room has good sound proofing - cant hear a thing from the passing trains or noises from the street. a convenient 10 mins walk Eiffel tower.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We (4 adult) arrived in a car at the hotel premises around 10 pm on 10 August 2013. We enter the hotel’s private lane (inside hotel premises) & the car stop exactly in front of the door (1,5 meter from the rolling door).
I got out first and went inside to the reception (very near to the main door) to take a trolley. My brother went to the trunk of the car to get our luggage, my mother still in the back seat of the car while my sister in the driver’s seat.
I realized that a man in the lobby keep eyeing me & our car, first I thought he was from the hotel, but since he offered no help at all after seing us with all those luggage I assumed he was not the hotel employee (later on I learned that his name is Abdullah & he worked in the hotel & just don’t want to help).
After I brought the trolley outside to my brother I came inside the lobby again to proceed with checked in. Meanwhile a man of Eastern Europe features approach my sister whose still in the car & asked where is Eiffel Tower & my sister said she didn’t know but he kept standing there in front of the car. At the same time another Eastern Europe features man came to approach my brother at the back of the car & asked if he wanted help with the luggage, my brother said no & he just kept on standing there. While I started to fill the hotel’ form, an Eastern Europe features man come beside me & asked the reception for a map, the lady from the reception said to him to wait until I was served for check in. This man then went away straight to the door and then to our car (which is only 6 meter from the reception) & then he grab my brother’ bag from inside the back seat of the car…. then he & the other 2 men that still stand around the car run with the bag. The hotel should have his face in the CCTV.
When I heard my mother, sister & brother scream & saw those muggers try to run, I left the reception & running towards the gang. No help from the hotel guy. We went after the muggers our self with the car but no luck since there was lots of cafes so then we get back to the hotel.
How come strange people are allowed to be milling & standing around inside 4 star hotel premises… & allowed to bug hotel guest after being dismissed.. this was the worst hotel security ever …. Not worth 4 star security at all.
The bag contained valuables. Most of all passport which contains 2 years visa to Schengen Area & 5 years visa to USA (which is needed for travel in September 2013), money, credit cards, Ipad, mobile phone, etc. Seeing our despair, the Asian receptionist kindly offered us to make the call to credit cards company from the reception.
After cancelling credit cards, we asked our 68 year old mother to rest in the room while we went to the police station to make a report which was needed for the embassy to make a temporary identity paper in lieu for the passport in order to enable my brother to go back home.
At the police station I realized that I didn’t have my passport with me & remember that when I run to follow the mugger the passport was still with the reception lady, but in case it was also lost then I have to make a police’ report too that night. Therefore, I asked my mother which was in the room to checked with the hotel reception. My Mom called reception 10 times & no answer… so then she went down & guest what…. Abdullah was there…just don’t want to picked up the phone. He said to my mother that he could not open the hotel office now nor make any call to check to the previous receptionist & my mother should come again in the morning. My mother of 68 years plead him to checked since I was still in the Police Station waiting for the news… but still no and he said very rudely “ I said TOMMORROW” & then when my mother still there he said “GOOD NIGHT” “I SAID GOOD NIGHT” with an angry face. When we came back to the hotel from the station @ 2.30 AM we checked the hotel lobby in case my passport was there in the table or sofa. Abdullah said to us not to looked around now but come tomorrow morning to asked the reception. When we asked him to make copy of the police report for the embassy he then reluctantly went inside the office …. Hah ..guest what ….he can actually open the hotel office because the copy machine was in there. Apparently he made a copy not only for us but for the hotel that wass why he agreed to make the copy. He then gave the photocopy together with “MY PASSPORT”. So Abdullah just didn’t want to help us.. strangely afterwards he kept insisting that we wrote “Thank You Abdullah for your help” in the hotel book & insist that we say to the morning reception that “Abdullah was so helpful”. Strange man… actually come to think about it makes me wonder where was he when mugging happened & whether he knows those mugger which arrived 5 minutes after we arrived…
It was so weird this man Abdullah from the hotel could keep standing next to me & eyeing me before I check in but how come he didn’t keep an eye on those people, especially the person that come inside & asked for the map….while the lobby was quite empty no guest other than us.
The next day (Sunday afternoon) we went to the Embassy & was told that Asian is target number 1 in Paris nowadays … So Asian beware of Paris & beware if you are in Mercure Paris Tour Eiffel Grenelle. Up to this day I have not heard any progress or anything whatsoever from the hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Eva S
Amman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My sister & myself stayed 5 nights in the hotel. The room & bathroom are very clean, a bottle of water is placed in the room in daily basis free of charge. The breakfast is open buffet with very good varieties (scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, bacon, 2 types of cheese, different kinds of jam & butter, cornflakes, croissons & cakes, fresh fruits, yougurt with fruits, different kinds of bread, varieties of juices (including freshly squeezed oranges) & hot drinks. The location is excellent 15 min walking distance from Eiffel towr, 2 supermarkets & groceries are within few minutes walk from the hotel, restaurants & coffee shops are next door! Douplex metro station is few meters away from the hotel to go to EuroDisney or Versaille! From our room window we were able to see Eiffel tower.
There is free wifi with verygood signal although VOIP is blocked (voice service). Staff are very friendly & respond very quickly to any request. They speak English well
The only small problem was that the air conditioning was weak & the bed covers or duvets are heavy so for August it was a bit hot!
If I go to Paris again I will definitely book in this hotel again