“Great Location but noisy and disappointing facilities”

Mercure Paris Tour Eiffel Grenelle Hotel
Ranked #945 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Booked to stay at this hotel for my 40th birthday. As many friends of mine were coming from both the UK and Luxembourg it was important to have a centralised hotel, with good amenities and an acceptable price.
Indeed the price was great considering the location - 5m from a train station and 15 minutes walk from Effiel Tower.
The down sides were the arrangements, I specifically asked for connecting rooms months in advance and was told there would be no problem, but upon arrival it seems they were unable to provide with the connecting rooms. In addition I had mentioned if they could not do connecting rooms they should arrange to have all our rooms together... again this request was not full filled.
The most annoying issue was checking in, they did not manage to understand that some of the group would arrive on the Fri and the rest on the Sat and that some of the group would leave on the Sun and others on the Monday. Yes it might seem a little confusing but honestly I spent a lot of time in advance to clearly document this in advance for them.... it still didnt help - so their organisational skills were not exactly appreciated.
In additon the hairdryer in one of the bathrooms stopped working on the day of arrival and they were unable to simply go to the shops and buy a replacement hair dryer. Instead they offered us another room - on another floor.... so definitely not fitting with my original requests to be together.
As a final result we had to use the hairdryer of the room next door but it took a lot of convincing before they would leave the connecting door open for us (fyi the room was empty!) thus we spent a lot of wasted time trying to get access to a hairdryer without having to move our luggage!. I was not impressed with their proposed solutions to such an easy issue to solve.
Breakfast - this was ok on the first day... however it seems they do not get fresh deliveries over the weekend as the fruit quality, and bread availability deteriorated significantly - this was un-acceptable considering the price we had paid for breakfast in advance!.
And lastly if you want a room on the front so you have a view of the road... great if you like noise! On Sunday mornings there is a market that starts setting up at 06.00am! and believe me they are definitiely NOT the quietest of people. In addition you cannot leave the window open on Fri or Sat nights due to the noise coming from the neighbouring small bar (with only locals in it may i add so not even drunk tourists)
So all in all - great location but not what was expected for such a special weekend.
Very disappointing and for sure I will never use this hotel again

Room Tip: Dont choose one on the front of the hotel on the main road if you intend sleeping at all!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mercure Paris Tour Eiffel Grenelle Hotel

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I organised a trip for 8 fellas to go to Paris for a weekend and stayed at this hotel. The location was perfect for our planned visits, which included taking in a football match at PSG. We had twin rooms which were excellent and included breakfast in our package. The breakfast was very good, with a selection of pastries, meat, cheese and some hot food (sausage, bacon & scrambled eggs). The hotel had free wi-fi and staff service was excellent. Since my last visit to the city a few years ago, prices have increased greatly, but the hotel staff reccommended the bistro next door which was very reasonable and the atmosphere/service was excellent too. The only down side was the heating in the hotel was very hot and most of us had our windows open to cool our rooms down. The impact of this was we could hear the paris street noise and the metro trains on the elevated tracks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 2 yrs ago- the value can't be better. Excellent location: a cafe next door, a laundry in the next block, a cyber cafe around the corner, a couple of good places to eat down the street, a supermarket 2 blocks away and a metro station across the street! Staff was friendly and the place was clean (and I'm a bit of a maniac). Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Restaurant La Thailandaise on rue L'Avre is very good.
The location of the hotel is very convenient to the Metro and tourist sights.
the open air market was very interesting.
Proximity to Montparnase is convenient.
The Monoprix is close and so is the McDonald's.
Exprees breakfast at 8 Euros was good

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank carugu
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed in this hotel following completion of the annual Paris 20km and moved from a hotel literally around the corner. By Parisien standards I found my room palatial but the decor was quite dated. That is the only negative comment I can make.

The staff were super helpful, the location is fantastic and the rate I paid was very good for the area. My room was on a low floor overlooking the market area (not sure if its just on weekends). The metro was directly across the road, good shopping ten mins down the road and a great little restaurant across the road on the corner (can't remember the name unfortunately but we spent a great Sunday afternoon there!)

Even though I was facing the street I had no issue with noise however I didn't have any issue with temperatures either so had no necessity to open the window. As there is so much to see in this area I actually spent very little time in the hotel and as I had a room only rate I didn't eat breakfast in the hotel. As I remember it was quite expensive but thats really the norm in my experience anyway and when in Paris - what would you be doing eating in the hotel unless you are in a serious rush - there are fabulous bistros on every corner. Alternatively great little supermarkets, boulangeries etc for the real fresh stuff - spoilt for choice. I would (and will!) definitely stay in this hotel again - I went from there directly to the airport by taxi (€55) in less than 40 mins but I had travelled in by train for €8.50 so there are plenty of options.

Room Tip: High floors can have views of the stunning Eiffel Tower
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Good location. Close to both trains and sights.
Rooms a little cramped but still comfortable enough for an old building.
All facilities good.
Building somewhat dated but to be expected for the area. Could do with refurbishment.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple