“Not great or even too good. I would not stay here again.”

Mercure Paris Vaugirard Porte de Versailles Hotel
Ranked #486 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel offers an average room with cheap towels. Not even a picture on the wall, very plain furnishings. Old mattress had lost any firmness it ever had. Pricey by US standards, but only average to high for downtown Paris. About a 30m walk to the Eiffel tower, safe in pairs. View of ET from front rooms on high floors. But, perhaps the worst breakfast buffet I have ever experienced in Europe, and I am here frequently. Also, the wireless is a total pain in The $*! to use. it requires frequent re-registration using an 18 character random alpha numeric login which it forgets every few hours. Each device requires its own login. I dont know what they are afraid of, its free anyway. I would try to avoid staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
There are newer reviews for Mercure Paris Vaugirard Porte de Versailles Hotel

A TripAdvisor Member
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The hotel was has been going under renovations since May 2011. By now, one of the buildings is completely renovated and the other is almost done. I stayed in the renovated building and it was lovely. Nice size room, everything brand new, comfortable beds, double glazed windows that can be opened.
Note that the hotel is lacking a bar/good size lobby, but there are a few bars and restaurants right near by.
Metro is right in front of hotel and it is right across from the expo grounds.
The only downside that I had was that I have put a 'please do not clean the room' sign , which they ignored and also lied about - this got me quite mad. A hotel should respect its guests privacy, otherwise, what's the use of these signs?

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel had very clean rooms, large bathroom with supplies provided, buffet breakfast was good - great staff friendly and helpful. The only downfall was that you had to take the Metro to visit any of the sights in Paris. Metro was easy to figure out but got very warm with all the people on it. Also hard to get motivated to go back into the city when you came back after a long day of sightseeing. But there were restaurants available for dinner in the area.

Room Tip: ask to be on the street side for people watching and was not noisy at all.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Just warning other travellers!!!! The housekeeping of this hotel is very very effective that they can empty the pockets of your dirty pants inside your backpack!!!!! So empty your pockets before keeping it in your packback!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed here as it is right opposite the Paris expo site where I was working for a few days. Perfect location for this and also convenient for metro and tram connections to other parts of Paris. It also offers free wifi which is very welcome and actually quite rare in Paris - though it doesn't work perfectly and they actually have 2 different systems in 2 different parts of the building.

However it is currently undergoing a much needed refurbishment. Rooms are being upgraded as are some of the common areas. I was annoyed that I was not informed about this either when I booked or when I checked in. There is very noisy work going on all day from quite early until about 6pm. When I was there it was the top 4 floors of the main building that were being worked on.

I was first of all given a newly refurbished room in the back part of the hotel - it was lovely, but I think it had just been finished as the smell of paint was overbearing. As the window wouldn't open I asked to switch rooms. I was given an older style room at the front which was very shabby but clean enough. However one night in that room was enough - it was directly below the noisy works going on upstairs so I had to put up with loud banging and drilling until 6pm. It was also very hot (the sun shines directly on the front of this hotel all day long), the aircon wasn't working and it was very noisy sleeping with the window open as the hotel is on a busy road with a popular brasserie right next door. Next morning I asked to switch rooms again, which the hotel arranged without too much fuss. I was again given one of the refurbished rooms, this time on another floor and it was nice, quiet, and comfortable. However it was still hot, the air con didn't seem to work, and given that this was only May I dread to think what it will be like at the height of summer.

I see that another reviewer from March said that only one lift was working - that was still the case when I was there last week - it looks like they are replacing the lifts one at a time.

Staff were friendly and helpful enough, though seemed quite stressed - probably dealing with a lot of room switch requests!

I'd question whether this is really a 4 star hotel - however, it's not too bad and once the refurb is finished it could be quite nice (if they can get the aircon to work!)

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are very hot!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AJH63
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed at this hotel during Christmas of 2010. The location and price were our main factors to select this hotel. The metro is within 30 yards of the door of the hotel, which is a major advantage if you know Paris in the winter (yes, it is colder than San Francisco in the summer, Mark Twain! Sorry.). We booked two rooms, which were satisfactory, albeit small for American standards. Because of all the cafes and restaurants in that area, we never ate at the hotel. For part of our stay one of the elevators did not work. The staff sometimes went out of their way to be unfriendly. Here's an example. We arrive at the hotel at noon, to check in. We say "Bon-jour, parlez-vous-Anglais?". Answer: "Yes, I speak English and we have no rooms available." I had to laugh at that. We then show our reservation, and she obviously proceeds to say our rooms are not ready. To make a 6 hour long story (our rooms were only ready 6 hours later, and we were literally freezing from being out in the snow and tired from our trip from DC to Paris)... in other words: the hotel was cheap, but we paid a heavy price (every single person in our family got the flu) for it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MasonGutt
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I just needed to comment on the fact that the hotel has two lifts, one of which was not working when I arrived on Friday. Mechanics decided to start working on it at 8am on Saturday waking everyone up with banging and drilling which carried on till at least 1 pm when I left the hotel. The lift continued not working throughout the weekend and on Monday morning I was surprised to find that the second one was not working either! I was on the 6th floor of the hotel so I had to walk all the way down. As I was checking out I didn't really mind but I would have been extremely annoyed had I been staying on the 6th floor and discovered that the only two lifts in the hotel where not working. I happily checked out without being given an apology or an explanation of why both lifts were out of service and I would really have loved to hear the receptions excuse to guests who had to walk up to the 6th or 7th floor. Very poor managing of a hotel

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Hotel Mercure Paris 15 Porte de Versailles
Mercure Paris Porte de Versailles Expo
Hotel Paris Vaugirard
Hotel Paris Vaugirard
#769 of 1,804 in Paris
Median Paris Porte de Versailles
Novotel Suites Paris Expo Porte de Versailles
Hotel Oceania Paris Porte de Versailles

Been to Mercure Paris Vaugirard Porte de Versailles Hotel? Share your experiences!