“Paris Base Camp”

Ranked #795 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
“Paris Base Camp”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Location a few metres from Gare du Nord make this easy to get to and travel to other parts of the city; as most wouldn't want to hang around this area for too long. Rooms a bit variable - mine smallish, dark and in need of decoration with only a shower room. Next door room at same price was a lot larger, lighter, newly painted and had full bathroom. All clean. Breakfast was OK - self service. Terrific little Carrefour just across the road means you can pick up water and provisions for days out. Looked a lot better than some of the other hotels on offer in the locality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank chez-manoir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My daughter and I really enjoyed our stay in Paris and were very pleased we chose to stay at the Hotel du Nord. The location was perfect for us; near to the metro, excellent bars, eateries, shops, including brilliant bakeries. The hotel was situated near to the Canal Saint-Martin which was very picturesque. The room was very clean and perfectly adequate, Breakfast, if required was a good selection of croissants, fresh bread rolls, jams, lots of coffee and juice. The staff were friendly and attentive and the dog, Pluto gave the reception a friendly ambience. I wil return to this hotel if ever I am in Paris again which I hope I will be.

Room Tip: I am a very light sleeper, and asked for a room at the rear of the hotel. It was quiet. In the morn...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Frances M
Victor Harbor, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Chose this hotel again for its close proximity to the train Station (within 5 min) perfect location and some nice eateries around this area too which aren't as expensive due to the area, tried my snails in this area woohoo! Hotel is clean and tidy breakfast was fine and service delightful. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimberlyjane_10
Smithers, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2013

There is a reason HÔTEL DE LA GARE DU NORD is so cheap (82EUR) – it is more like a backpacker’s special than a special deal. If the youth hostel is full, this is the next step up (down?).
Small, even by European standards, the management does not take the time or have the pride in their property to keep the rooms in good repair. We had mould along the baseboards, the outdated wallpaper was torn in several areas, there were gouges in the walls and the shower sprayed 75% down and 25% in every other direction. Air conditioning worked as long as you wanted it no cooler than 19C. We had a street side room which proved to be very noisy since Paris does not shut down, even in the less than desirable parts of town where we were located.
The front desk staff spoke passable English, and my French is barely passable, but no other staff spoke anything other than French – even staff who interacted with world travellers. Fair enough were in Paris, where the general attitude of the populace was egocentric at best, condescending towards all other living creatures, including their fellow Parisian.
The ‘Breakfast Bar’ (9EUR extra) - open 7am (or whenever they decided to open thereafter) until the latest at 10am (or wherever they decided to close) had coffee; as long as you wanted cappuccino, espresso, or café latte. If you wanted black coffee – go somewhere else. Scrambled eggs (advertised as omelette) were almost raw, and you could boil your own egg to your own specifications. Yoghurt was available as was packaged apple sauce.
If you want a wake-up call – be sure to write it down and give it to them. My 7:15am turned into 7:50am.
Being close to the train station is a bonus because you can take the Metro to everywhere.
Never, REPEAT, NEVER take a taxi in Paris. A 10EUR fare one day will be 30EUR the next, to and from the same locations. The Metro is 1.70EUR in each direction.
My recommendation is to spend the additional EUR and stay someplace where you can sleep comfortably, and where the homeless do not sleep on the street next door to the hotel – unless of course if you are backpacking through Europe, then this just might be your cup of tea.

HÔTEL DE LA GARE DU NORD
31 et 33, rue de Saint-Quentin, Paris
Tél. +33 (0)1 48 78 02 92
Fax +33 (0)1 45 26 88 31

Room Tip: Listen to your travel agent. Go ANYWHERE else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian_Mairs

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The young night shift receptionist ruined my stay and my visit to Paris.
We were staying: My wife and I in a double room, my three kids (one is 21, the second is 14 and my third Down syndrome kid is 13) in another room in a different floor.
The first night while going into the hotel, the receptionist asked me about our room numbers and we informed him.
At 2:00 a.m., I received a phone call from the receptionist asking me to go down as my Special kid was crying for over an hour at the reception, and he claimed that he was calling us for tens of time and that we were not answering.
I ran down the stairs quickly with my pajama, and didn’t find my son. The receptionist told me that my son was back to his room. I went up to my son and he explained to me: he had some leg pain, he went up to our room, knocked quietly at the door in order not to disturb anyone, when we didn’t hear him, he went back to his room, but the door was locked. He went, as a normal guest, to the receptionist asking him to go up to open his room door with the master key. The man didn’t agree so my kid started crying, till after few minutes he convinced the man and they went up and he opened the door to him.
I went back to the receptionist and I apologized for any inconvenience. But the man was very rude and accusing me that maybe I am coming from an uncivilized country, or maybe I am careless father and how come I was leaving a young kid alone in a room, or maybe I am a violent father and this is why my son was crying.
I was surprised from his non-professional attitude towards a guest, and refused his accusations and the way he was talking about me and about my son and about my country. I explained to him that this my 6th visit to France and my third family visit to Europe and that always my three sons stay in a separate room i.e. he was staying alone. While talking, I found the police coming into the hotel. The receptionist told me that he had to call the police because at first glance to his guest list, he didn’t notice any rooms in which my kid was registered, and then after he found out his and our room numbers he called us and we didn’t answer, he thought I am maybe a violent father and my kid was crying because he was afraid of me. He was in a panic so he called the police.
He met the policemen and talked to them in French in a very discriminative and rude and impolite and unacceptable way about me and my special son thinking that I do not understand French. After a minute of surprise and humiliation, I interrupted his speech telling the policemen that I speak and understand French. I clearly stated that I do not accept what he was saying or the way he was talking about me. The policemen were very understanding and decent, but they asked for my full name and birthdate; which till today I do not why, and they left.
After they left, the receptionist tried to apologize, and saying that he didn’t get the chance to meet me or to talk to me before this incidence, and that after talking to me he realized that I am decent person. Also, he confirmed that the police will do nothing.
Honestly, I felt bad and felt humiliated from a man his major objective for his guests should be to make their stay pleasant as much as he can.
Definitely I would never recommend this hotel to any of my family members nor to my friends nor to my business colleagues

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank AKandil
Swaffham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated for Eurostar arrivals and all Paris transportation. The rooms are sufficient and well presented. The breakfast is unusually good for 'continental' expectations.
Reception staff are very attentive. Inevitably there is some city street noise and upper rooms are better to minimise this.
BUT BE VERY AWARE - this situation is at the heart of Paris crime and very many criminals feast off unwary travellers - especially Metro line B platforms, being overcrowded and popular with visitors to access other city destinations. Buses are far safer - avoid Metro.

Room Tip: Higher floors may reduce traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple