“The young night shift receptionist ruined my stay and my visit to Paris.”

Ibis Paris Gare du Nord
Ranked #803 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Cairo, Egypt
“The young night shift receptionist ruined my stay and my visit to Paris.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The young night shift receptionist ruined my stay and my visit to Paris.
We were staying: My wife and I in a double room, my three kids (one is 21, the second is 14 and my third Down syndrome kid is 13) in another room in a different floor.
The first night while going into the hotel, the receptionist asked me about our room numbers and we informed him.
At 2:00 a.m., I received a phone call from the receptionist asking me to go down as my Special kid was crying for over an hour at the reception, and he claimed that he was calling us for tens of time and that we were not answering.
I ran down the stairs quickly with my pajama, and didn’t find my son. The receptionist told me that my son was back to his room. I went up to my son and he explained to me: he had some leg pain, he went up to our room, knocked quietly at the door in order not to disturb anyone, when we didn’t hear him, he went back to his room, but the door was locked. He went, as a normal guest, to the receptionist asking him to go up to open his room door with the master key. The man didn’t agree so my kid started crying, till after few minutes he convinced the man and they went up and he opened the door to him.
I went back to the receptionist and I apologized for any inconvenience. But the man was very rude and accusing me that maybe I am coming from an uncivilized country, or maybe I am careless father and how come I was leaving a young kid alone in a room, or maybe I am a violent father and this is why my son was crying.
I was surprised from his non-professional attitude towards a guest, and refused his accusations and the way he was talking about me and about my son and about my country. I explained to him that this my 6th visit to France and my third family visit to Europe and that always my three sons stay in a separate room i.e. he was staying alone. While talking, I found the police coming into the hotel. The receptionist told me that he had to call the police because at first glance to his guest list, he didn’t notice any rooms in which my kid was registered, and then after he found out his and our room numbers he called us and we didn’t answer, he thought I am maybe a violent father and my kid was crying because he was afraid of me. He was in a panic so he called the police.
He met the policemen and talked to them in French in a very discriminative and rude and impolite and unacceptable way about me and my special son thinking that I do not understand French. After a minute of surprise and humiliation, I interrupted his speech telling the policemen that I speak and understand French. I clearly stated that I do not accept what he was saying or the way he was talking about me. The policemen were very understanding and decent, but they asked for my full name and birthdate; which till today I do not why, and they left.
After they left, the receptionist tried to apologize, and saying that he didn’t get the chance to meet me or to talk to me before this incidence, and that after talking to me he realized that I am decent person. Also, he confirmed that the police will do nothing.
Honestly, I felt bad and felt humiliated from a man his major objective for his guests should be to make their stay pleasant as much as he can.
Definitely I would never recommend this hotel to any of my family members nor to my friends nor to my business colleagues

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank AKandil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swaffham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated for Eurostar arrivals and all Paris transportation. The rooms are sufficient and well presented. The breakfast is unusually good for 'continental' expectations.
Reception staff are very attentive. Inevitably there is some city street noise and upper rooms are better to minimise this.
BUT BE VERY AWARE - this situation is at the heart of Paris crime and very many criminals feast off unwary travellers - especially Metro line B platforms, being overcrowded and popular with visitors to access other city destinations. Buses are far safer - avoid Metro.

Room Tip: Higher floors may reduce traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian P
Tsu-shi, Mie, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I used this hotel so as to catch an Eurostar for eight. Staffs were very kind and friendly. My room was not so large but enough just to take a shower and sleep.
I didn't sleep well. This is because my neighbor in front had a child and was quite noisy all over night. It's up to you to consider whether this hotel has a poor sound insulation or I faced a rare case.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank schumi088
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The staff is extremely nice and helpful! Good-quality breakfast. Nice modern decoration. The rooms are clean and functional but you'll find them tiny if it's your first time in Paris, especially if you're from North America ;) Very good location: right next to the metro station and one of the train stations. The neighborhood isn't particularly charming but it does have grocery stores, good bakeries and small restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank violettedemars
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights after moving from the rats nest called The Faubourg Hotel. Gare du Nord is a nice pleasant hotel. The staff could not do enough for us and were very kind. The receptionists in particular were eager to assist. The breakfasts were very good with a nice range of hot and cold food and assorted teas. The hotel is very central and near to a Carrefour for lifes little essentials. We intend to go back to this hotel in the autumn. Its a great base for central Paris.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheshire_wit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very convenient close to metro and two major train stations. Neighborhood is ok, some good restaurants and small shops within a few blocks. Hotel is clean and seems well run. The rooms are very small! Breakfast is basic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Owen Sound, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great place to stay! Very close to subway & train station. Excellent Bistro across the street with good food! Hotel staff very friendly and helpful! Room was very clean and spacious! We loved our experience there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple