“Rock-bottom”

Ranked #1,712 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Washington, DC
“Rock-bottom”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

Due to unforseen in circumstances, I got stuck in Paris without a hotel during a very busy conference week. I booked this hotel only because it was one of the few still available for under 200 euros.

It was wildly overprices - more like a hostel. To say the room was basic would be an understatement.. Paper-thin walls - I could hear the person in the next room everytime they turned over in their bed. Scary shower and overall feeling that the room was not too clean. Internet barely functioned. Area was in no way scenic - just noisy and ugly. It was close to a Metro stop but that's hardly unique in Paris. The only reason you should stay at this hotel is if you are on a budget or desperate like I was.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fightingtreeantiques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Norcross, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed in this hotel to be a little closer to CDG--and we liked the price. The street is sketchy at best (concern about personal safety)--however, it is close to the Metro. The towels were ready for the rag heap--and the rooms are very shabby. I think the sheets were clean--but the spreads were dirty. I would give both of the desk people 4 stars for being helpful. The man who was on duty when we arrived at mid day helped us with our online airline check in since the printer would not work from the one computer that guests could use--and the evening person did make arrangements for us for a cab at 6AM which worked out very well. We would not stay here again. It was well below our expectations for an American Express-endorsed hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gerry L

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Being on a budget, and with the Expo happening so that all rooms were available, I had no choice but to book this hotel.

Really didn't enjoy this hotel.

There were 4 beds in a triple room, but nowhere else to stand.
The door locked me into the room. I had to call reception to unlock me (a known problem it seems), but the first 3 times the phone didn't work
There was no hot water for a shower, nor anything to shower with (and the shower holder was broken)
Breakfast was self service in the extreme - had to search around for sugar and milk, with no-one around
Curtains for the windows didn't quite cover the window

Not recommended at all. At least the front desk wasn't mean.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kswann1977
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

The rooms are very small and very dirty (what sort of hotel doesn't provide bins in a room?!) If you manage to avoid the bugs crawlling around the room during the day, then you are sure to encounter them (or should I say bitten by them) at night. We are now back in the UK with allergic reactions to the bug bits...... let's just say it's not a pretty sight.

Please, please please, do not be fooled by the pictures on lastmin.com. If you are looking for a decent 3* hotel that is CLEAN, then avoid Hotel Garden Opera. You have been warned!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Wizdom1
SCOTLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

ok, the rooms are small and the bathrooms don't allow you to dry after a shower so you do this in the bedroom but for the price you cannot really complain. Location is great, quite quiet at night, reasonable breakfast, polite staff , and there is a great bar on the corner with beet at 4 euros a pint !!!. Rooms are clean , i've certainly seen alot worse elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MARKINDUNFERMLINE
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stayed here with my friend for 4 nights and following is my feedback.

+Ve's

1. Great location as metro is only 2 mins walk away

2. Good local cafe's to get food and a couple of super markets around the block

3. Its 6km from Eiffel tower and we walked to Norte Dam , Lourve Museum and Eiffel in like 60 mins or so. Pretty great walk....

4. Friendly people around the area and after a day or two I felt like a local :-)

5. Good books in the lobby to get yourself familiar with Paris.

-Ve's

1. Very run down.
2. It needs a make over as paint was coming off from the walls
3. The shower didn't have any pressure and the whole system looked good few years old
4. TV volume was set to do a maximum 20 so couldn't hear it when watching it
5. Noisy neighbourhood in the mornings as local shops are just under and around the hotel.
6. When I arrived I had to wait 5 mins or so for the door to be answered as the guy at the reception wasnt there. Then he argued that he took 2 mins to answer. I found him very rude on the first day but after that he was okay.

7. They wanted us to leave our keys with them , which I wasnt keen on. As a result I carried all my money with me every day.

8. They didnt change the sheets in room service runs, just new towels

9. The bathroom had a bread loaf left over from the previous party staying there.

10. Wifi only available in the lobby which can get crowded.

11. The breakfast was charged at 6 euro's so we managed it with getting fruit etc from super markets close by.

In the budget I had this one suited the bill but for what I paid I think it could have had a decent decor etc. They allowed pets in the hotel so someone's dog barked through one night....

If I go to Paris again I wouldn't probably stay here but I would definitely chose the same areas as it was conveniently located close to the center of Paris. The closest metro stop is Cheate De'au and its 10 mins (5 stops) from Norte Dam.

If the hotel management reads this review then "Please get the rooms painted, Bathrooms refurbished, carpets changed and TV's sorted. This hotel has good potential but only if you re do it."

Room Tip: Excellent location but hotel is SO SO
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ashbaig
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

This hotel, which we booked after looking at the website, star rating and location has an air of dishonesty about it. The website has been carefully constructed to give a false impression of size and quality of facilities ad should be checked by the star rating agency. The rooms are poky, small and many of the fittings are carelessly maintained and look neglected. We booked a double room and were first offered a tiny room with 3 single beds in it. Although they changed us to a double room when we pointed this out, there was still room for little else in the room except a bed, on which we found clean but blood stained sheets. We must say that the bed was of good quality and comfortable though.
I am an average sized adult male and could only just about get in the bathroom. In early morning there was intermittently no hot water, presumably because the plumbing couldn't cope with the number of rooms which had been squeezed into the space the hotel occupied.
Although the day staff were pleasant, the night staff were surly and a couple of times we found we couldn't get into the hotel when the staff had presumably nipped off for a bit.

We felt cheated and deceived by the website presentation of the hotel. If the website had given an honest view of the place we may have chosen somewhere else. We recently stayed in a three star hotel in rural Morocco which was loads and loads better, and cheaper, than this one - which we can tell you does DEFINITELY NOT provide 3 star, north European facilities.

We liked the area, though, and the proximity to the metro - which was really the only thing in its favour.

Something of a rip off in all other ways

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business