“Really good stay”

Moderne St-Germain Hotel
Ranked #528 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed last year for a week and it was okay. This year's stay was really good. The front desk hosts were helpful and professional. My room was comfortable, clean and quiet. The showers have great water pressure and housekeeping is thorough. The Moderne St-Germain is a very nice hotel in a great location. And it's a great value.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank marien344
There are newer reviews for Moderne St-Germain Hotel

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Let me start by saying that I don't usually stay at hotels or resorts that are rated less than 85% on T.A. This was NOT my choice of hotel: My friend booked, and got a "are you serious?!" when I saw the 66% recommended rating on TA. My expectations were far from high prior to my stay, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised!

The staff was friendly enough, spoke just enough english to communicate with us non-french speaking folk. Hotel is in an area set back from the busy main streets, but not an inconvenient walk by any means.

The rooms I thought were spacious enough for Paris. The room was equipped with a double & single bed, a small desk & chair and decent sized bathroom with nice glass shower. The decor is certainly tacky, I suppose the thought was "modern" when designed. Clean bedding & towels. Nice sized flat screen television hung on the wall with several channels to choose from.

The washroom was designed with a fair sized glass shower (no tub), small sink (not much counter space) and an area you could use for hanging clothing, etc. They provided Yves Rocher bath products.

I suppose I could get finicky and tell you that some of the tile grout was not completed, or completed sloppily. Some was a bit worn in the corners, however all in all, nothing that disgusted me so much I wouldn't stay there.

We had room #18 (first floor of rooms, second floor of the building). Three large windows that open, with iron bars covering the windows so that nobody can come into the room. MAJOR complaint: The Air Conditioning stopped working the 1st night (it was about 35 degrees that day) and the hotel employee didn't have another room or solution for us. Not impressed. The second night, the employee told us that the AC had been fixed...maybe...(whatever that means)...so we tried it, working minimally - then quit. The system is worn and probably needs replacing. We were not offered any type of compensation for the inconvenience.

Breakfast is continental - with selection of juice, water, coffee or tea. Toast, croissant, yogurts, cereal and cheese was available. Considering coffee & toast for 2 is between $25 - $30 Canadian, this was a nice option! Clean and modern dining room. There was a large pink rabbit in the room....I don't get it, but certainly added a topic of conversation!

Overall - this isn't the best place in Paris by any stretch, however it was clean, decent location and priced at about $250/night Canadian for a weekend. I would say it was deserving of more than a 66% rating on TA...just my opinion!

Room Tip: Room #18 faces into an alleyway that can get quite rowdy on the weekend as it is used as a short cut...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank A1515
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The location of this hotel is great, on the left bank in Saint Germaine with it's quaint shops, close to Notre Dame and The Latin Quarters with all it's restaurants.
However we also booked this as we liked this designer boutique hotel look, looking at the photos it looks like a very cool arty modern hotel.
However the rooms thoroughly disappointed, extremely small, and where the nice design rooms shown on the website are is anybody's guess. Quite old looking, bathrooms are tiny, hairdryer terrible, toiletries very low quality, luckily we brought our own.
And although it states all rooms have mini bars ours did not nor did our friends room. The bed although very small was comfortable and this was the highlight.
We did not try the restaurant, free Wi-Fi was good and the reception staff were polite.
I would not recommend this hotel as there are plenty of hotels in the area and I am sure you will be able to find a better one for the same price.

Room Tip: Obviously must pay for a suite or something similar to get a good room as ours was not very good at...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnnaKTU
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I've long loved the quartier where this hotel is located, and wanted to return there again whilst working elsewhere in Paris, and meeting colleagues and friends in the evenings. I found this place on the web, and got a good rate for my room. The accommodation was very clean, tidy, well-organized, with a big-screen tv, and wifi included in the rate. The small shower and toilet room was big enough, squeaky clean, and private. The hotel was quiet at night, and the bed was excellent. Breakfast at 12 Euros was ample, but too expensive for me, so I went to boulangeries and bistrots in the neighborhood. The staff were professional, friendly, helpful, well-informed. If you're right on the street (rue des Ecoles) you may find the room awfully warm, unless you're prepared to leave the window open and contend with street noise. The room could really have used extra sockets for plugs. There was but one, very inconvenient for using a cell phone and portable computer which needed to be recharged. The location is ideal for going anywhere in Paris, and the neighborhood is perfect for strolling, dining out, and sight-seeing.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, either high up, or at the back.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2014

It's a very nice hotel situated in the best position to visit Paris!!!You can walk to NotreDame,Centre Pompidou and Louvre!! Boulevard ST Michel is close and the underground station is 5 minutes from the hotel.The rooms are cosy and confortable.The breakfast very good.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank claudiaFollonica
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Moderne, St Germain four years ago and I really enjoyed the quirky décor, excellent location, good breakfast and having a room with a decent sized shower. This time things were mostly the same with my room looking as if it had been decorated by Andy Warhol with pink wallpaper with bright green flowers and pink lighting. The effect was cheerful and amusing. This time however, my room had a very small shower - the sort you have to get out of if you drop the soap, especially if you are tall like me. These tiny showers are ok for a day or two but irritating for the five days I stayed.
Moderne is in easy to moderate walking distance of most of Paris's main attractions and there is a Metro station a few minutes away.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Just got back yesterday afternoon and wanted to review as quickly as possible. First, believe the photos, this is a quirky, fun place if you like a hipper vibe in a hotel. Our room was decorated and lit in a modern motif. The bathroom was modern and comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful when I had a question. I didn't try the breakfast buffet because the price was too steep for me. There's a nice little bakery a block down that has a terrific selection of pastries and sandwiches. Just a note, the rooms are small but it's Paris and I didn't expect anything large. Heck, I've had smaller rooms in New York. My son and I were in a double twin room and although tight we managed fine. Our room was no. 21 which faces the street. We had a nice view of the Rue de Ecoles and a little balcony with planter boxes. Beds were very comfortable, pillows too. We had the window open most of the time. Was it noisy? Yes. The street is busy so if you want quiet, ask for a room that faces the the back. Overall this hotel is a great place to stay. The only thing I would mention as a negative is that the closest metro station is not on one of the main lines so you will have to transfer to get around, but in a less than ten minute walk you can be at the St Michele station which is a large hub. Otherwise a good location. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for a room that faces the back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family