“Late review - Nov 2012”

Moderne St-Germain Hotel
Ranked #543 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 11, 2013

So when taking this trip to Paris my boss said to me it's all about location and after staying here I agree.

Location
Right in the Latin Quarter is where you want to be and this hotel delivers on this front. It's a 5-10min walk to Notre Dame and from there you can walk to the Louvre within 15 mins. Hence, no cab is needed. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance from the hotel. We arrived at 11pm at night and found a lovely bar/pub just round the corner where the food was delightful. It's Paris so the food is always good!

Room - stayed in a Deluxe Double
Well, it's a small hotel with small rooms but you must appreciate that you are in the centre of Paris so many of the lower grade hotels will have small rooms. You are sacrificing on luxury to be in a better location at a competitive cost. The bed was comfortable and there was adequate heating in the room as it was really cold when we were there. The bathroom was small and the shower cubicle was also small. However, the shower was excellent as the water pressure was brilliant!

Facilities
We didn't use them so I can't really comment but the hotel looked clean and well kept. The lift is tiny and old but it's fine.

Staff are good but to be honest we didn't really have much interaction with them as this was not required. We didn't spend much time at the hotel. However, whenever we did need them they were always helpful.

I would stay here again if was going to Paris as it's all about location and at the price you pay it's not a bad choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suraj G

Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our first visit to Paris. We travelled with a group, but that was only for the flight and the hotel. Le M is in the heart of the Latin Quarter, on the left bank. The hotel is on rue Ecoles, right up the street from the University of Paris and the Sorbonne.
The hotel is undergoing renovations to some of its rooms but otherwise it very clean. We were booked a double with twin beds. Although the room was quite small, it overlooked rue Ecoles and it had a small terrace. The rooms were made up everyday, so that when we returned each day from our travels, we could freshen up with clean towels.
I can't express how pleasant the staff was. The greeted us each day with a pleasant "bonjour". It helps if you know some French phrases so the staff can see you are interested in trying. The manager, Monsieur Du Bois, went out of his way to accommodate us. When I asked if he had a transformer for my camera charger, he immediately went out and bought a few.
Indeed, after about three days, he knocked on our door #41 and asked if we would like an upgrade. When I asked if he needed our room, he replied "because you are both nice". We were moved to the first floor #18 which was a triple and had been recently renovated. "Nice begets nice".
There are plenty of restaurants close by, within walking distance, as are sights such as Notre Dame Cathedral, the Pantheon, and the Metro.
The night manager recommended two restaurants that we felt gave us a true French experience, Petit Prince Paris, along with Le Coupe-Chou.
I've read reviews that complained about this hotel, but I take exception to this. This was our first visit, and our 30th wedding anniversary. I could not think of a better place to spend it. We will return and will stay at Le M.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I travelled to Paris with a small group and found this hotel to be everything we hoped for. The location cannot be beat. You can walk almost everywhere, and when the walk is too far, the hotel is close to multiple forms of public transportation. There are many restaurant options nearby. I found the hotel staff to be incredibly helpful. They gave great directions, restaurant recommendations, and general tips for getting the most out of our time in Paris. We were there a week, and every person we encountered were wonderful.

Regarding the rooms, they are small-- but who cares! They were clean, nicely decorated, and there was PLENTY of room to relax and store luggage and other things.

The breakfast was a great way to start the day. Plenty of pastry/breads, meats, cheese, yogurt, coffee, etc.

I will definitely return to this hotel when I come back to Paris. It was the perfect hotel for our trip!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pierson W
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I choose Hotel Moderne for a second stay for its great location and great price. 10 minutes walk to RER Stop St. Michel-Notre Dame, 5 minutes walk to Metro line 10. Very nice area, many goody restaurants around the corner, Notre Dame, Pantheon, Boulevard St. Germain in walking distance. We got a free update to a deluxe double for EUR 130 per night, a very competitive price. Hotel had been reburbished since my last stay, rooms are nicely decorated in very vivid colours (lemongreen, pink), clean and provide Yves Rocher shower gel and shampoo. However, I personally would not go there again, because there is no door between room and bathroom (only a curtain), which is, considering the small room (distance from bed to toilet 1meter) completely unacceptable. But if you don't mind having no privacy in the bathroom - everything else is just great!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Enjoyed stay again...everything we needed, excellent buffet breakfast included with 3 nite stay. Location can't be beat...walked to dinner every night except when we went to Opera Garnier which is just a Metro ride away!

Only complaints...guests who are noisy late at night and do not respect no smoking, and the cleaners..they do a grat job but I think if the Make Up this Room sign is posted in the AM the room should be done by 4...esp in the winter and bad weather. Also whatever is used to clean the hardwood floors is too strong smelling..like a punch in the face when we returned one day and then woke up stuffy and ill.

Room Tip: Larger rooms at end of cooridors
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just look at the pictures. Curtain falling off the window, outlet popping off, the room (a double) was so small you could not walk past the beds or put your luggage anywhere, my black coat was covered in white powder from the stained wall in the open hanging area, little to no light, grime in the bathroom, look at what they consider a desk and bed stands. Even by European standards it was a disgrace. They are renovating and the chemical smells made me physically sick each day.
Look at the halls and stairs. They had small towels on the landings which my friend tripped on and almost fell down the stars.
Now for the staff...there was only one late night, weekend desk attendant that would greet us and even try to answer a question or offer guest service, a gentleman.
The day staff and manager spent their time standing in the front door entrance SMOKING and socializing with friends that would come in. You had to walk through them to enter the hotel and they made no attempt to make your passage easier.
No coffee or HOT WATER for tea was available once breakfast was over and we were chastised
for heating up tap water in the microwave and using OUR OWN TEA BAGS. One night the night desk attendant took chairs and built a barrier to the small dining area so we could not access the microwave to heat up our water.
Some of the rooms have been renovated: they painted, but appear to still have the same furnishings except for the top floor which appears to be a new addition.
They do not allow you to change the temperature setting. We had to leave the window open due to the smell and powder from the paint and renovations taking place.
We FROZE.
We used SHOW OF THE MONTH and although I had questioned them about the bed bug issue and comments found here on TA they reassured me the hotel HAD BEEN RENOVATED and there were no worries.
The group that traveled with Show of the Month are in agreement that this was unacceptable and no human should have to inhale chemicals and cigarette smoke each time they enter / exit a hotel they are paying to stay in.
Paris and the Parisians are WONDERFUL! We met many kind, helpful, patient people and enjoyed all but our time in the hotel.
Thank goodness our experiences in Paris went beyond the inhospitable front desk clerks, manager and walls of this hotel.
Can't wait to visit Paris again....but not through Show of the Month (Boston) and in this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms suffer from chemical smells/ powder from renovations.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank KACRY
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Our cousins stayed here on our recommendation and mentioned that the renovated floor (2nd floor where I stayed) was much better than the non renovated ones. There was a problem with moisture from the bathroom and mold in their room. So ask for a renovated room.

• Stayed: December 2012