Ibis Paris La Villette Cite des Sciences 19eme
Ranked #1,043 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently stayed here whilst I visited pret a porter trade show with my uni and neither me or my fellow students enjoyed staying is this hotel. I previously have never stayed in an ibis and i never will stay in one again.

The hotel is not in a good location in terms of the distant from it to the centre of Paris it couldn't be further away on the metro map if it tried. Furthermore although there are 2 metro stations near to the hotel one has to be accessed by walking over a iron bridge going over the canal and as it was snowing trying to carry a suitcase down and up the stairs was not easy. The hotel is also not in a very nice or safe area so I would not recommend a group of girls (like us) or children to stay in this hotel as I did not feel safe in its surrounding area, to reinforce this point we did ask many taxi drivers whether the area was safe/a bad area and each of them said it was not safe and was a bad area. Additionally behind the hotel there is a street which the staff had told us not to walk down because it was too dangerous and some very weird things were going on which we could see from our hotel room. Furthermore on the first day whilst walking back from the station the whole of the area was surrounded by police and it had all be taped off. This meant that we had to get taxis anywhere after about 5/6 because we did not feel safe enough to walk to the metro station.

The staff were extremely rude for the duration of our stay and were not very helpful. We were not told to bring the paper card holder to breakfast so when arriving without it (because we hadnt been told) we got sent away and was not allowed in until we went back up to the room to get this piece of paper. The room was ok but looked nothing like the photos I had seen on the website it is extremely dated compared to the restaurant and reception lobby and the bathroom is tiny with your face against the wall if you wish to go to the toilet. There was also marks all over my duvet cover which was quite unpleasant, breakfast was ok but the fruit was so old and in-edible. Also watch out the pavement around the hotel is covered in dog poo literally everywhere and when wanting to book a taxi in advance for leaving to get the Eurostar the hotel said they wouldn't do it and you have to book 10 minutes before you wanted to leave which just a made it more difficult to organise your departure.

Although this hotel may be cheaper than others more central to Paris it's not worth it as the amount of money you spend on taxis and metro tickets as you're so far away may as well be spent on a slightly more expensive hotel which is nearer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank mo k
Write a ReviewReviews (1,499)

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The room we were given was very tiny and the shower was even less specious, I could hardly move in the bathroom. Yet it was very clean and had everything we needed. The hotel is in a good location, the metro station is nearby which makes your live much easier while sightseeing. The staff is also helpful. Overall, I would say it is a good hotel for a business trip but not for a romantic holiday.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elena_n_Voytec
Reviewed December 31, 2012

From CDG airport, we took the train and then the metro to get there. We had a fair bit of luggage with a baby and a pram and the metro system was not designed with parents in mind, with steps up and down and narrow entrances/ exits and even escalators. This meant we had to collapse the pram a lot in order to get through.
Once on ground level, it was an easy walk to get to the hotel.
Check in was swift and you get given a code to get into your room.
The room was small, but it was clean and tidy with separate toilet and shower cubicles. The sink was in the room itself.
I borrowed a hair dryer from the reception, it’s free of charge but they just need to keep a piece of ID, such as a drivers license.
If I was in Paris again, I would use this hotel once more.

Room Tip: If your room faces the main street, there's a bit of traffic noise, but nothing horrendous.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kittyra1
Reviewed December 23, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October whilst making a lovely one week holiday trip to Paris to visit the famous Paris Motor Show and to do some sightseeing as well.
I have stayed in several Ibis hotels in various European locations and this one was certainly up to their usual standard. As ever the room was of modest size but entirely adequate for my needs. It was always spotlessly clean and well prepared and the bed was nice and comfortable. As with many Ibis hotels the bathroom was the usual quite small size but for a single male it was quite acceptable.
I had breakfast in the hotel each morning and have to say it was superb with a very large choice of options to choose from. I would say it was very good value. I also ate in the restaurant one evening when I had a very nice pizza.
I paid to have wi-fi access in my room and this worked perfectly. The only slightly annoying aspect of this was that you had to go the lobby desk each day and get a printout showing the days' access code. In other Ibis hotels I have stayed at they give you a list showing all the different codes for each day in one go.
I actually arrived at the hotel quite early in the morning. I asked at the check-in desk if I could drop off my luggage and then come back later as the earliest time to check in was 2PM. The lady at the check-in was most helpful and my request was carried out with no problem. I was given a receipt for my luggage which was put into a secure storage room.
I was particularly pleased with the actual location of the hotel. Situated up in the north-east corner of the city it is a nice quiet situation and it is right next to the Canal St Martin and the Parc de la Villette. You can take very pleasant walks along the canal following its' route for some while in a southerly direction. It eventually runs into a tunnel before finally emerging into the River Seine. Alternatively a walk across to the Parc is very pleasant and there is the opportunity to visit the Cite des Sciences which is a museum of technological and scientific displays.
There are three metro stations nearby which will provide access to all points of the city. The nearest station is Ourcq which is on the opposite side of the canal but is easily accessed via a foot-bridge then a short walk up one road. Corentin Cariou station is to the North and again only about a ten minute walk away. A walk along the canal in a southerly direction will take you towards Crimee station.
I would suggest when booking the hotel to ask if you can have a room at the front and on a higher floor as you will then have a lovely view of the canal from your room window.
So to sum up I can thoroughly recommend this hotel and I would certainly stay there if I was ever lucky enough to be in Paris again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the front will offer a good view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo