“It was quite good comparing the prices and the quality offered in Paris”
Review of Relais du Pre

Relais du Pre
Ranked #993 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I went there in September 2009 (not 2011, but the system would not allow me to enter another date) and searched a nice and cosy hotel to offer a comfortable bed, a meal at breakfast and a good location to go and visit Paris. The prices were good and the hotel proved to be the best for my trip, having also a principle of making a discount for many nights spent there. Although Paris has a very good network of subway and surface railway, it is important to stay somehow near the things you want to do in such a great capital and this hotel has a great location - near a bus that leads you to the center in just about 12-18 minutes and 2 subway stations, Poissonniere the closest, on rue La Fayette. The breakfast was rich and with a great variety of cheese, croissants, tea, gem and bread, also the other usually buffet sortiments and I say rich comparing it with other hotels that offer you croissants and coffee. The room was rather small beacuse putting a master bed in a tight room, leaves you no space to walk around to manage your luggage and stuff like that. It also had a desk with free wi-fi in the room, TV, no balcony, just a window looking over the back of the building. The bed was comfortable and big. The bathroom was very clean and also very tight considering that it had a WC, bathtub, sink and hairdryer. But, again, it is a building like all the central old buildings in Paris that offer no space to move around. The hotel stuff were excellent and very helpful with any piece of advice for me and my friend. So, if you want a trip to visit Paris, make trips in the surroundings, and get the french taste of the city, I really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: To ask a bigger room with a balcony when booking.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Hotel Relais du Pre is located in a nice section of Paris, about a 3-5 minute walk from the Poissonniere Metro station. There were some nice small shops along Rue La Fayette to buy small things like soda and snacks to take back to the room.

Free wi-fi throughout the hotel was very appreciated, and the connection was good! The front desk staff was very friendly, warm, and welcoming and they spoke English well.

We booked a no smoking room, but got a smoking room. It hardly smelled of cigarette smoke, but the other rooms in the hall were smoking rooms as well and you could smell smoke in the hallway at times which was unpleasant.

The carpet had typical wear, as did the wallpaper, about what to expect from a 3 star hotel. The room was small, but not tiny, and certainly a good size for Paris. The bathroom was in good condition. The shower was hand-held though which was a bit disappointing, I don't think it requires a whole lot of effort to hang a shower curtain and mount a shower head, but that's just me.

Bed linens were clean, and the bed was comfortable. The room hadn't been updated in a while but it was clean.

We had a lovely window that opened onto the side street (Rue Pierre Semard). For a side street that doesn't look like it would be well traveled there was an awful lot of noise from automobiles at night which disturbed my sleep a bit, which says a lot since I tend to be a heavy sleeper.

The walls in this hotel were paper thin, you could hear your neighbors, and outside a bit too much for my liking.

It's on the M7 line, which is the line for the Louvre so it was easy to get into the city center. The hotel is also located just a few stops on the M7 from Montmartre which was very convenient.

Overall, this hotel is a standard 3 star hotel.

I would probably stay here again if I got a similar price (€75 per night).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PurplePoppie
Reviewed December 13, 2011

My best friend and I stayed here for 3 days in May of 2011. The staff is very friendly, there is a lounge area which is very comfortable and a small bar. The rooms are nice, bed was comfortable enough, we had a small balcony over looking the street that let in lots of light in the morning. A little noisy at night, but not too bad. The bathroom is very large, nice double sink, and plenty of outlets. only problem with our room was there was now shower curtain or door, which made taking a shower pretty messy, but not that bad. The area is nice, close walk to metro which will take you anywhere you want to go for two young women we felt safe at night. Had dinner everynight just around the corner from the hotel at Pizzeria Venezia. The owner there Paul is very nice and helpful. He gave us great directions to some of the places we wanted to go. He also told us which areas to avoid at night. The food was good, and not too expensive. For the money this hotel was everything we could have hoped for and more. Would stay again, and would recommend to friends or family.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed in a delightful B&B neat Chatellet for a week, then traveled out of Paris, returning for one night before catching the Eurostar to London. We looked for a hotel close to Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar begins. Unfortunately, we ended up at Relais du Pre.

First, it is not that close to the train station - about a 10 minute walk if you know your directions. Finding it on foot was nearly impossible. Even locals did not know the name of the hotel or even the name of the short street upon which it is located. A good hour after beginning our quest, dragging luggage up and down the streets, we found the hotel. Small lobby, smaller elevator, narrower hallway, and tinier room. Absolutely no charm whatsoever. The carpeting is very old and shabby, the bed is small and uncomfortable. Everything suggests that the hotel was out of date before WWII and hasn't been upgraded since. The minimum basics - a small t.v., small bathroom. The window opened onto a view of other rooms and all the noise associated therewith. We booked with Venere, which rated the hotel 4 stars. We have stayed in much nicer 2 stars in Paris, in much nicer neighborhoods, and for a lot less money. I'm giving it a 2 star only because the gentleman at the reception desk was nice and gave us ice from the kitchen. Otherwise, one star.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jimvogt
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Near the train station and about à 7 min walk to THE metro. But perhaps THE nosiest street ive ever slept on. THE sounds of cars speeding down THE cobblestone coupled with construction work made it almost intolerable. Staff is lovely but rooms are small and cramped with no a/c which made THE mouse even louder since we slept with THE Windows open. THE area is à bit dodgy and we did have à bit of an experience wurm we were walking back to THE hotel after THE metro had stopped. Would recommend à hotel in THE Latin Quarter -near st. Michael for those who are into night life like we are.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank TraversingTrini
Reviewed June 9, 2011

In a city of pricey hotel rooms I thought that this was a reasonable place to stay (100 euro a night) - very close (less than 10 min walk) to Station Gare Du Nord, where we were arriving from, and close to nice cafes, shops and bars near the canal. The room was very small, however met our needs. I liked that we had a large balcony to look down on the street 4 stories below! One snag - and more my fault really - I had forgotten we did not have breakfast included so had a nasty surprise when I was the saw the added cost of 12e each for just coffee and croissant on the bill!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Stayed here for three nights, was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel as the area is not the best. It is very close to Gare du Nord (and connections to airport and trains to Amsterdam/London etc) so good for onward travel.
My room was small but perfectly suited for a solo traveller. Nice and quiet, had a good night's sleep. Very clean.
The concierge was friendly and I enjoyed our daily banter as kI tried out my schoolgirl French on him. He was always helpful on where to find supermarkets, internet cafes, local sights.
The area surrounding the hotel is very Parisien but got a bit iffy at night - just be careful. It did not feel dangerous but it was the first time in Paris (after staying in the Marais) I felt a bit wary.
Having said that, the service was excellent and I enjoyed my stay. I would dedinitely reccommend to anyone who wants a decent hotel near the Gare du Nord.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo